Cod crisis? What cod crisis?

Guest challenge

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest challenge
Hi challenge,

i had a look at those pictures on your website, and looking at those short fat sticks in the background i see nothing as changed much since the seventies as regards methods and tackle ( like i had said earlier in this thread which you disputed) i put it to you that all those people who book your trips! that the overiding reason that they bother to travel so far is for their stomachs and it has nothing to do with sport angling at all, thats fine if you admit to it? like you say you are providing a service from which you make a living, if you expect to come on here and get praise and maybe a few more bookings from saying what "cod crisis" and show pictures of boxes full of the remains of some of the last few isolated stocks that the commercials cant or cannot be bothered to track down like you then your being a little silly realy cheers...................

Stavey.

Have you ever been fishing since the seventy’s? I fished in the seventy’s and I can assure you there is no comparison with the gear you used then and the gear or methods you use now.

We where fishing in the Danish sectors a month or so back and some Danish (commercial) gill netters called us up, they where working nets in the area (but not on the wrecks) we where working, fishing for turbots and sole. They said they could not afford to fish the wrecks as the price of the cod quota did not make it viable for them to catch it.

I assure you our anglers love fishing as much as the next man. The one thing that surprised me when I started working for John was the enthusiasm and dedication of most of the anglers that go to sea now days.

If they where fishing for the stomachs as you say, then I think if they where to work out the good trips with the bad trips then they would be much better off ( from the money side of things) going to there local fishmonger.

You try telling the thousands of anglers that come with us every year that there not there for the sport. Catching the fish is a bonus. If you cannot live with that stavey then at least give all the anglers that come with us the benefit and a bit of respect, instead of accusing them of being greedy selfish men who only fish to slaughter what is left of the cod stocks.

What I cannot understand is why no body seams to grasp that what I am trying to tell you is that there has been more fish this year than in the previous 4 years. Surely with the significant reduction in commercial activity this must be a good thing?

Of course if you want to live in a continues pessimistic world then I cannot help you.

Tight lines to you all.

Challenge,

It would be interesting to see an X in the squares of the map that you fish.

post-7-1159530679_thumb.jpg

Do they mostly match the areas containing good populations of cod, or the blank areas?

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Stavey.

Have you ever been fishing since the seventy’s? I fished in the seventy’s and I can assure you there is no comparison with the gear you used then and the gear or methods you use now.

We where fishing in the Danish sectors a month or so back and some Danish (commercial) gill netters called us up, they where working nets in the area (but not on the wrecks) we where working, fishing for turbots and sole. They said they could not afford to fish the wrecks as the price of the cod quota did not make it viable for them to catch it.

I assure you our anglers love fishing as much as the next man. The one thing that surprised me when I started working for John was the enthusiasm and dedication of most of the anglers that go to sea now days.

If they where fishing for the stomachs as you say, then I think if they where to work out the good trips with the bad trips then they would be much better off ( from the money side of things) going to there local fishmonger.

You try telling the thousands of anglers that come with us every year that there not there for the sport. Catching the fish is a bonus. If you cannot live with that stavey then at least give all the anglers that come with us the benefit and a bit of respect, instead of accusing them of being greedy selfish men who only fish to slaughter what is left of the cod stocks.

What I cannot understand is why no body seams to grasp that what I am trying to tell you is that there has been more fish this year than in the previous 4 years. Surely with the significant reduction in commercial activity this must be a good thing?

Of course if you want to live in a continues pessimistic world then I cannot help you.

Tight lines to you all.

challenge

There is no need to get all up tight about my opinion, i am not calling your customers greedy selfish so and so's but you have to understand that as long as they can catch cod of a fair size to take home to eat and people like you are prepared to take them the length of the north sea to do it they will, i know this and it is human nature to do so, but you see this teaches no one anything as regards conservation or trying to ensure any hope for future anglers to come or stocks of cod, the mere fact you have to travel such distances to find a few decent sized cod should tell you something surely?

Tell you what lets just carry on as usual and hope that every thing turns out just dandy eh, no more talk about conservation/bag limits/increased mls etc etc etc, after all people all around the country are catching plenty no need to moan lovely jubly.

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

no more talk about conservation/bag limits/increased mls etc etc etc, after all people all around the country are catching plenty no need to moan lovely jubly.

ahh! you've seen the light at last then Stavey.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Tell you what lets just carry on as usual and hope that every thing turns out just dandy eh, no more talk about conservation/bag limits/increased mls etc etc etc, after all people all around the country are catching plenty no need to moan lovely jubly.

Wouldn't that be great, :yeah: lts talk about :fishing:

Guest challenge
challenge

There is no need to get all up tight about my opinion, i am not calling your customers greedy selfish so and so's but you have to understand that as long as they can catch cod of a fair size to take home to eat and people like you are prepared to take them the length of the north sea to do it they will, i know this and it is human nature to do so, but you see this teaches no one anything as regards conservation or trying to ensure any hope for future anglers to come or stocks of cod, the mere fact you have to travel such distances to find a few decent sized cod should tell you something surely?

Stavey.

As I have said before, we cover a massive area so that the marks we work do not get to much attention in one season. We cover thousands of wrecks across thousands of miles of open sea.

John manages this fishery (when weather permits) as best he can. Being we are the only angling boat fishing these areas allows John to rotate the wrecks over the year and in some cases over the years.

We would love to be able to go and fish our local wrecks every day, but you will find that there are a lot more angling boats that do this, on a regular basis.

What steaming all over the North Sea catching fish (more and more each year) tells me is that we are doing something correct. So yes you are correct it is lovely jubly.

By the way stavey. You should read the link again (as it has been updated) and take note of all the personnel bests.

http://www.chieftaincharters.com/PHOTOS%20SEPT-OCT%2006.htm

Edited by challenge

You try telling the thousands of anglers that come with us every year that there not there for the sport. Catching the fish is a bonus.

Challange - "thousands" (plural) has to mean at least two thousands. Assuming that you fish 200 days a year, that means at least 10 anglers on board every day you fish. Is that accurate?

Add that to We cover thousands of wrecks across thousands of miles of open sea (which would seem to sorta limit fishing time I think) and trips on Chieftain begin to sound like less fun than I would have imagined.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt, it is a big boat and, in UK terms, goes a long way out. Most UK charters are short 'day' trips, 8 hours or so. Chieftain is a different kind of vessel altogether.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE