Cod crisis? What cod crisis?

Guest challenge

What i feel right now towards the people i know from your port is , why all this bitchiness over fish?

Carl - I have wondered somewhat the same thing and have about concluded there is something in the air or water supply or similar.

Hopefully if your posts are going to be printed and taken to a meeting, this last one will be included.

thanks for that NEWT .

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What i feel right now towards the people i know from your port is , why all this bitchiness over fish?

Carl - I have wondered somewhat the same thing and have about concluded there is something in the air or water supply or similar.

Hopefully if your posts are going to be printed and taken to a meeting, this last one will be included.

Sorry for being so blunt you guys but give your heads a shake you winge and wine moan and grone about cod stocks and gain nothing if you are that worried about it you would be united there is no dout that there is not the cod that there used to be and that you can go further east to get big cod and we still catch a few fish inside but at the end of the day its a pond we fish in all be it a big pond but you take a fish out its one less fish and so on and so on and so on you can only catch them onece good managment is what is needed so get together and talk to the top man stop your differences and be united and do something positive.

Hi darlick.

Not really sure why you quoted my comments. I tend to think you are correct but the fate of the Atlantic Cod (at least I think Gadus morhua is the fish we are talking about) in UK waters has almost no direct effect on me or my fishing.

In theory, the fish does wander as far south as Cape Hatteras on the North Carolina Outer Banks but things down here are generally too warm for them.

Based purely on what I have read over the years on this forum, I do think it is probably touch-and-go as to UK sea fish stocks recovering before there are too few to make the fishing worth while. Things could probably be turned around with some really drastic measures but given the short-term damage that would do to the many folks who depend on the fishing for their livelihood, I don't hold much hope.

Disclaimer - as noted, I don't KNOW anything about the UK situation and am basing this purely on what I read from the forums and from the excellent newsletters Leon sends out.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Guest challenge

Darlick

Am not moaning about cod stocks Andy. I think that there just fine. But that’s my opinion. Our anglers keep coming back so they must be happy.

I am happy with the fishing that we have, when fishing 20ft of water 20 yards from the cliff.

At the end of the day we are only angling for fun. When it stops being fun then it’s time to have a re-think. At the moment my adrenalin runs the same today as it did back in the early seventy’s when I first wet a line.

Be it fishing with you and nipper under the cliff, or fishing the Danish coast, my enthusiasm is just the same.

That’s my opinion old mate. We have fished all over together we have wet lines in weather we should not of at times, we have (and still do have) our differences of opinion, but I don’t think we have ever (and would like to think we would never) victimised someone for having an opinion? Unlike nipper, who shouts so loud he doesn’t allow you to voice your opinions even if you had any. :2:

Motorola.

Carl, I don’t think that big cod could have been serious when he said they would be discussing your posts at the next association meeting. :D:):o

Guest challenge
Postings on public forums are so public challenge. Once you've written a thing on here, it is not your property.

Basic common sense says if you don't want your opinions spread around, don't post them.

That’s a great slogan for promoting a forum newt.

I understand what you’re saying; it’s just that I would have hoped that people who use this forum as a tool to advertise would also have the strength of character to accept genuine disagreement from one of the advertiser’s targets. Not to use this forum again to there advantage to ridicule that said poster behind closed doors.

Am sorry newt I am maybe getting a bit to heated up about this? I personally don’t care what is said about me, because I don’t rely on angling boats to take me angling, but I would be gutted if an angler lost the opportunity to fish because of this forum.

Regards.

Hi darlick.

Not really sure why you quoted my comments. I tend to think you are correct but the fate of the Atlantic Cod (at least I think Gadus morhua is the fish we are talking about) in UK waters has almost no direct effect on me or my fishing.

In theory, the fish does wander as far south as Cape Hatteras on the North Carolina Outer Banks but things down here are generally too warm for them.

Based purely on what I have read over the years on this forum, I do think it is probably touch-and-go as to UK sea fish stocks recovering before there are too few to make the fishing worth while. Things could probably be turned around with some really drastic measures but given the short-term damage that would do to the many folks who depend on the fishing for their livelihood, I don't hold much hope.

Disclaimer - as noted, I don't KNOW anything about the UK situation and am basing this purely on what I read from the forums and from the excellent newsletters Leon sends out.

Nothing personal newt yours was last on list have not quite got used to this computer lark apologies.

would the people involved with this forum debate be in agreement that the cod crisis is limited to inshore waters?

These are your words and not mine saying there is a cod crisis inshore ask some of my regulars and i am sure they would tell you different i have customers who have been on long trips and done very well some like it some dont but when you are stateing things you really dont know a lot about people are gonna disagree when you posting things up on as public forum people can get the totally wrong impresion carl othere skippers have commented the same this not just my opinion so what about last trip i did the lads caught hardly any fish under 6lb i wouldnt call that a crisis would you infact the opposite and that was on a 10hr trip and if things were as rosy as you say where you were fishing last why arent the whole of the whitby fleet there filling there fish rooms makeing a fortune but then again the trawlers working out of whitby who have been fishing on whitefish which is 6 if i am correct have been filling up on cod this last 4 weeks and do you know how far off most of these boats have been working from the shore 3 MILES off carl what a crisis.

regards

paul.

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Guest challenge
These are your words and not mine saying there is a cod crisis inshore ask some of my regulars and i am sure they would tell you different i have customers who have been on long trips and done very well some like it some dont but when you are stateing things you really dont know a lot about people are gonna disagree when you posting things up on as public forum people can get the totally wrong impresion carl othere skippers have commented the same this not just my opinion so what about last trip i did the lads caught hardly any fish under 6lb i wouldnt call that a crisis would you infact the opposite and that was on a 10hr trip and if things were as rosy as you say where you were fishing last why arent the whole of the whitby fleet there filling there fish rooms makeing a fortune but then again the trawlers working out of whitby who have been fishing on whitefish which is 6 if i am correct have been filling up on cod this last 4 weeks and do you know how far off most of these boats have been working from the shore 3 MILES off carl what a crisis.

regards

paul.

If you where to read his words again Paul, the ones that you have highlighted, you will see that he (Motorola) is actually asking a question, and not stating a fact.

Regardless of today’s modern technological advances, trawlers taking fish from wrecks is a none starter.

You know yourself (when fishing wrecks) you have got to get into the wreck to take the fish.

Great for gill netters, but fortunately for us they have been having even richer pickings (the ones that are left that is) fishing even further east than we fish. We would love to try and get further across and try wrecks in the area they work, but your horizons and the amount of area that we all ready have to cover in a season make it difficult.

As I have said many times before, there is some great ground fishing to be had off Whitby. But what we concentrate on (because that’s what our anglers want) when doing long trip offshore is wreck fishing.

Not all the wrecks we fish are successful, not by a long way, but all I was trying to say to start with on this thread was that this year there has been more fish than in previous years.

I apologise if the sight of fish (in large amounts) upset people. I assure you it was not meant to. I was only (and I believe that Motorola was too) trying to say that things in our part of the world (where we fish) are improving on what they where five years ago.

You can have your theory’s on hot spots or last of the cod congregated together.

But when your talking about such a massive area producing more fish than (we have ever seen) in resent years I believe it is worth reporting.

Regards.

If you where to read his words again Paul, the ones that you have highlighted, you will see that he (Motorola) is actually asking a question, and not stating a fact.

Regardless of today’s modern technological advances, trawlers taking fish from wrecks is a none starter.

You know yourself (when fishing wrecks) you have got to get into the wreck to take the fish.

Great for gill netters, but fortunately for us they have been having even richer pickings (the ones that are left that is) fishing even further east than we fish. We would love to try and get further across and try wrecks in the area they work, but your horizons and the amount of area that we all ready have to cover in a season make it difficult.

As I have said many times before, there is some great ground fishing to be had off Whitby. But what we concentrate on (because that’s what our anglers want) when doing long trip offshore is wreck fishing.

Not all the wrecks we fish are successful, not by a long way, but all I was trying to say to start with on this thread was that this year there has been more fish than in previous years.

I apologise if the sight of fish (in large amounts) upset people. I assure you it was not meant to. I was only (and I believe that Motorola was too) trying to say that things in our part of the world (where we fish) are improving on what they where five years ago.

You can have your theory’s on hot spots or last of the cod congregated together.

But when your talking about such a massive area producing more fish than (we have ever seen) in resent years I believe it is worth reporting.

Regards.

Jesus, do you not get tired of bleating out the same boring drivel again..............and again......and again.

I'm losing the will to live

No Luck This Time..............Roll On Next Time

Guest challenge
Jesus, do you not get tired of bleating out the same boring drivel again..............and again......and again.

I'm losing the will to live

Am sorry sir.

Have not come across any of your threads that have shown so much interest.

If you believe its drivel then why not press the ignore button?

What drivel don’t you like? The drivel of reporting something (that as controversial as it may be to some) that might actually mean there is some chance of optimism among some RSA in this country? :headhurt: