A little bit nervous.....

RUDD

Last week I was appointed Match Sec by our angling club.

This also includes sitting on the commitee and full balif duties.

This sunday I am looking forward to receiving a barrage of comical abuse from the clubs match anglers as I run my first match, this being the first match of the winter league.

I have give most of them plenty of abuse over the years and belive me I do not want to make a balls up at any stage of the match, this will only serve as ammo.

I also need to do well in the match or again I will be leaving myself open to abuse!

Yes, I am a little bit nervous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Good luck with running the matches RUDD i remember a few years ago i used to run some evening matches on the erewash canal and you couldn,t do right for doing wrong didn't matter if you used all fliers or all even pegs there were always moans it be a thankless task lol :P

• 5 years later...
Good luck with running the matches RUDD i remember a few years ago i used to run some evening matches on the erewash canal and you couldn,t do right for doing wrong didn't matter if you used all fliers or all even pegs there were always moans it be a thankless task lol :P

Last week I resigned as match sec and you were right - five thankless years (only one match angler ever thanked me as did the treasurer every year on presentation day).

I did enjoy the job once I got the hang of it but politics, snide comments and personal commitments have played their part in my decision - I look forward to fishing without having to look over my shoulder to see who is watching with a knife behind their back or getting bugged by the club know it alls. I also look foward to not feeling isolated from the other match anglers or the carp anglers. Both factions think it strange that I do both types of angling!

I have also resigned as a baliff - again, always under the spotlight with every pair of eyes watching every move, several incidents over the years including catching another baliff using barbed hooks. Made a good few friends over the years and given out some good advice but also upset plenty when they have been caught breaking the rules.

Also resigned from the committee, again another almost thankless task with plenty of critics (who would not even try doing the job themselves) pointing the finger when things went wrong (including acts of mother nature!!!) Belive me, we got the blame for everything including anglers blanking!

My wife has told me its time to start enjoying my fishing again and I have a whole list of venues to try (95% of my coarse angling has been done at same venue in last five years as I have felt obliged to fish there) which I am looking forward to.

It was not a light decision but I feel the time was right for me and I wish the club/committee all the best for the future - I will give the new match sec a bit of help over the next few matches as he gets the hang of it and will remain a club member.

My written resignation will be handed in at the next committee meeting next week after putting a few ideas to the vote :D

Edited by RUDD

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Ti's allways the way mate! However thank goodness that there are enough with broad shoulders to step up to the mark else we would have no clubs or matches!

But as you say there comes a time when you need to do your own fishing and let some one else take the flack.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I know ecactly how you feel mate. I was the Match secretary for Vauxhall ac for 4 years and your right lots of people tell you where your going wrong but never any volunteers to help. I use to have to drive an hour to the river on a saturday afternoon and then spend 3 hrs pegging 50 pegs ready for the sunday morning.

One guy in particular use to moan continually about the pegs being in wrong places etc. He lived about a mile from the venue. After one match i told him he was pegging the next match since he knew best. He never commented again once he realised how problematic it was getting that many pegs in a weed filled river.

When i retired as secretary i gave up match fishing aswell.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

Rudd,

Thanks for the "full cycle" report. I guess it is much like many other things in life. Just when you become competent you realize it is time for some young unsuspecting person to "re-invent the wheel".

Somehow early on I learned it is generally not the "person" the naysayers are complaining about, it is the institution that person represents.

Good fishing to you - and - although I don't know match fishing, Thanks for the time and effort required for any successful "organized" event.

Phone

Last week I resigned as match sec and you were right - five thankless years (only one match angler ever thanked me as did the treasurer every year on presentation day).

An all too familiar pattern. I was voted onto a club comittee at the age of 15, and did nearly 20 years as a club committee member (for two clubs), responsible for fishery management on one of them. Headed a small team of enthusiasts who spent hours getting wet and dirty removing rotting leaves, surveying the faunal content, keeping swims tidy, removing litter, liasing with riparian owners, mending gates and fences and all the rest of it.

Very little support from the members, except when we (with the help of the then River Board) were netting somewhere. Then they turned up in force (perhaps the only time most of them ever saw a specimen fish :P )

Perhaps the most frustrating thing was spending hours doing a careful survey of a water, making recommendations as to stocking policy as a result of that survey, then, at the next AGM, to be outvoted by the match-dominated membership, who wanted absolutely no bankside vegetation, and swarms of easy-to-catch skimmers in every water (it was in the days before mass stockings with carp)

Resigned all club posts in the late 60s, and found I had much more time for actually fishing. Still, I must have got some things right, as I was awarded a Life Vice-Presidency (including free membership) by one club, and Life Membership by another.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Well, I take my hat off to all of you and applaud what you do. There ought to be a Bailiffs association, like the football league manager association for the work you do.

At my local club in Radcliffe Manchester there has been an ongoing feud with people voted on and off the committee and different m,embers back each side.

It's a real shame because actually they're all truely good souls who want to help and do many things for other members. Just some small difference of opinions can create a melt down.

An all too familiar pattern. I was voted onto a club comittee at the age of 15, and did nearly 20 years as a club committee member (for two clubs), responsible for fishery management on one of them. Headed a small team of enthusiasts who spent hours getting wet and dirty removing rotting leaves, surveying the faunal content, keeping swims tidy, removing litter, liasing with riparian owners, mending gates and fences and all the rest of it.

Very little support from the members, except when we (with the help of the then River Board) were netting somewhere. Then they turned up in force (perhaps the only time most of them ever saw a specimen fish :P )

Perhaps the most frustrating thing was spending hours doing a careful survey of a water, making recommendations as to stocking policy as a result of that survey, then, at the next AGM, to be outvoted by the match-dominated membership, who wanted absolutely no bankside vegetation, and swarms of easy-to-catch skimmers in every water (it was in the days before mass stockings with carp)

Resigned all club posts in the late 60s, and found I had much more time for actually fishing. Still, I must have got some things right, as I was awarded a Life Vice-Presidency (including free membership) by one club, and Life Membership by another.

been a bailiff for 7? years only comments i get are anglers with a problem having to produce their permits ,never ever been thanked ,never ever have me or the head bailiff been given help clearing up the place .

just number collectors i must be mad ,enjoy :D

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

As long as you've got cloth ears and a skin like a rhino you'll be OK. Bite back occasionally just to make them know who's boss and Nil Carborundum Illegitimus and you'll survive. Did 27 years as variously match sec, team captain and treasurer plus time as a committee member and bailiff; that was enough for me.