Hooray! It's Pancake Day

Rusty

OK, I'll bite, gimme an exaple of something containing chili that aught not to? I get hacked off buying things that claim to be "hot" when they are not.

Olives for a start, I can buy a wide selection of olives locally but many of those have chilli as an ingredient in their marinade.

Can't think offhand of any others but because of my wife's dietary restrictions (no gluten, no lactose, no pulses, no legumes) and my aversion to sugar as an ingredient in things I have to read the labels of everything I buy - Chilli is often listed as an ingredient, I don't want that chilli kick in everything I eat.

Cory,

I get hacked off when something says "mild" and is way to hot.

Not really sure - how about a dbl mint Altoid and a hot pepper?

Phone

If I can find some Altoids locally I'll give it a whirl and report back.

Do you eat melon or cucumber or are their seeds too "flat"?

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Olives for a start, I can buy a wide selection of olives locally but many of those have chilli as an ingredient in their marinade.

Can't think offhand of any others but because of my wife's dietary restrictions (no gluten, no lactose, no pulses, no legumes) and my aversion to sugar as an ingredient in things I have to read the labels of everything I buy - Chilli is often listed as an ingredient, I don't want that chilli kick in everything I eat.

If my memory serves me right you don't live that far from me. Where do you see these olives in chili marinade? In France you can buy great big plastic pouches of olives in chili oil but I've not seen anything like them over here.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Cory,

Actually it is MOSTLY melons and cucumbers. Some I cannot even handle the smell. Don't leave out squash and pumpkin - the worst of all - LIMABEANS

Phone

I must admit most of the cucumber family don't do much for me. I do like melons, but not those big red water melons and I like pumpkin soup. Like you I'm not mad on butter (lima) beans unless they are roasted and salted like peanuts the way the Hong Kong Chinese do. They make for a fine nibble with a glass of ice cold beer.

Edited by corydoras

Why not combine legumes with pancake and have a slap up masala dosa?

It's my regular treat if I go into town in India because there are three or four cafe's in the marketplace that do excellent dosas.

I've not had one for a while though so I might have to invite one of the "girls" at work out for lunch at the vegetarian Indian place on the Hagley Road in Edgbaston.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

If my memory serves me right you don't live that far from me. Where do you see these olives in chili marinade? In France you can buy great big plastic pouches of olives in chili oil but I've not seen anything like them over here.

I often see olives with chill added in Sainsburys or Tesco, I can also buy them (if I wanted to) in Lymington market.

Olives Direct has some, but I don't think they're in Chilli oil, just got the pervasive stuff added to the olives - put Chilli into their search bar for the varieties.