Would You Support a Levy on the Rod Licence?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, for much the same reasons that I don't think political parties should be funded out of taxation. To have any credibility such a body has to be voluntarily funded by members, I feel. Otherwise it's just another unrepresentative quango. If a body is to represent me, I need to retain the option of tearing up my card and withdrawing my funding. I would object to the possibility of being forced to pay for a talking shop I didn't agree with.

i've herd others asking the same thing.my answer is that i'd actually be willing to pay upto £30 for a rod license.if it was kept at that level for at least 10 years,(as its the steady increases / rises i don't like) and the money used to create a propper centre for angling at notts (saving the rowing course and lakes for future generations ,plus the NFA is already based there) and have enough to fund a angling body properly and fund more free fishing stretches of rivers and lakes ect (if theres more places to fish for free it would encourage more people to start fishing.)

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

For me it is a question of trust, I am willing to pay for a proper Representative angling body, but fear I (as a match angler) will not get value for money, other branches of our sport/pastime may feel the same.

Bringing all of the different branches of our sport/pastime together and making sure they are all fairly and properly represented.....is like trying to plat sand IMO.

I am a match angler .....not an anti-Christ!!!]

Bringing all of the different branches of our sport/pastime together and making sure they are all fairly and properly represented.....is like trying to plat sand IMO.

While herding cats.

I've got agree with most of the other posts.

Who would decide policy?

Would one branch of angling have more power, to the detriment of others?

There are enough differences within angling to make a body like this unworkable.

By the way, should this read, 'If OR when', or has it already been decided?

If and when a sea rod licence is introduced then the same arrangements could apply. In the meantime SAA believes that all anglers should stand together in the interest of the sport as a whole.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Yes, definitely.

If you read the article on the link, an optional amount of £1.20 is mentioned. As far as I can tell, it's intended as a voluntary contribution.

The SAA do a lot of good work on behalf of anglers, just take a look at the rest of their website. They do not favour one branch of angling over others.

Despite the Bob Nudds amongst us, the different branches of angling need not be mutually exclusive. Most anglers are happy to moan about the problems that affect our sport, but are not prepared to actually do anything about it.

Organisations such as SAA can work on our behalf, but they need funding.

I'm not currently an SAA member, but I've just talked myself into joining.

I wouldn't mind paying up to £30 if i got a letter which stated what my money was being spent on. Everything round this area is left how it is left. Even the best spots on the river near me.......(opposite the environment acency depot) stay filthy with rubbish and are not maintained at all.

The Clax Will Always Crack

It's not an ideal situation to have a levy such as this going to a single unelected body but surely it better than the present, fragmented, status quo? Besides, I don't care how much the different factions argue behind closed doors as long as we start to present a united front against our attackers.

Dave

We shouldn't need to.

The English National Opera receives an annual subsidy of £16.9 million, the Royal Opera House a further £25 million. The Environment Agency receives grant in aid of £10million to finance its fisheries work. So if there are, say, two million anglers, then to my mind there must be 8.38million opera goers. If that isn't the case then we are being shafted.

PS. The two opera companies mentioned are of course just the tip of a very eletist iceberg.