Perfect Fishing TV Programme

AndyTV

I think getting a comptent presenter is important an angler with all round experience not too much in aw of his own reputation might be a good start.

Avoid special or private waters, fish where ordinary anglers fish. Put the enfersis on river craft, preperation and how smart anglers think.

Try and give that special feeling for being in the wild / country but not in a green welly "o I have a season ticket on the test" - try come a bit North. Pick a venue to demonstrate techniques for different spieces. Trent for roach, Severn for Barbel, Dee and Ure for Greyling. North wales for Sea Trout, the Wey for Dace etc etc.

Look at your target ordiance, and make sure your editior is an Angler. I remember well the head of Fisheris for the Severn Trent water authority spent a lot of time at Draycot water - not fishing sailling- the guy had no credibility what so ever.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course youve got to have the right presenter.Very little of the footage with me in it was ever used on either our vidio/DVD or any of Matt Hayes's programmes simply because of my speech impediment.

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

That quite stereotypes anglers as straight married males who are useless in the role of husband, and while that may be true in somes cases not all can or should be be subsumed within that group. ;)

No you are right Emma. I was only having a bit of a laugh. I think most anglers manage to maintain a balance with their family lives. I can say honestly that since i have been marrried i dont get out as much as i would like to. But i make the most of it when i do.

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.

to be honest i can't for the life of me understnd why the series of the compleat angler with Geoffery Palmer was not on main TV even my non fishing wife liked that. Geoffery knows what to do as a presenter as he has masssive amounts of TV work to his name. They had the angle of looking at a 350 year old book on fishing and comparing and contrasting to todays methods. it was great and i am sure would have pulled in an audience.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

Thanks for all your insightful comments, it is very useful to get feedback from the people our programme is aimed at. I really like some of the ideas, and it is good to know what wouldn't work as well. I'm pleased to discover that there is an interest in the right fishing programme and so my question was not in vain.

I would also be interested to know what you think of the current run of fishing programmes, mainly confined to Discovery Realtime Extra it seems. There is quite a mix of formats and presenters, and they do get repeated a bit too much.

We produced On Coarse with Dean Macey a few years ago, although this was before my time. So we have a bit of a track record which I want to improve on. It sounds like A Passion for Angling sets the benchmark for most people. But of course you can never produce the perfect programme for everyone. I'd like to do the best job we can though!

I followed the thread about Robson Green's programme with interest, and I would have to say that I don't see that as a fishing programme as such, it's a show about Robson Green, and really he could have been doing any sport. I'm certainly jealous of their programme budgets though!

Thanks again.

I've watched Discovery Real Time (+1/Extra) to death and probably seen all the different programmes thrice over! The presenter is definately the main draw for me. People like Paul Young, Geoffery Palmer just didn't make the programme enjoyable for me. I appreciate the angle of the The Compleat Angler, but he doesn't seem to be taking it all that seriously and doesn't really come across as someone that enjoys fishing.

Paul Young just reminds me of grey skies above a featureless 500 acre loch somewhere fly fishing for trout. Has it's niche, but doesn't draw a large audience.

Fishing with Henry is a strange one for me, I don't usually watch sea fishing with any real interest, but again the presenter really makes the show. His genuine enthusiasm for it, and reacting so extremely to every up and down throughout the show draws the audience into his adventures. If I can enjoy it, then I bet that Fishing with Henry get a lot more views than you'd think.

Matty Hayes and Mick Brown are great as presenters as they just bounce off each other in front of the camera. Again, they show dedication with huge feats to acomplish within a series, an example being The Great Rod Race. Although Matt does shove his sponsor baits in your face all day, it's good fishing of a huge variety of species and subsections for rig tips and tackle.

why not be really daring and have someone like Janet involved,her passion shines through her reports and she was a novice not too long ago ....

I've been away for a week on a boating/fishing trip on the Rochdale Canal, so I've only just found this thread.

Thanks for the comment Judy. I'm still passionate, and still very much a novice....also, I've been told I have the perfect face....for radio!

I can't really comment on any previous angling programmes, as I watch TV only very rarely, but I do rather like Emma's idea of ordinary people being helped by experienced anglers. When I first started angling, I contacted Martin James from BBC Radio Lancashire, who kindly offered to take me out and show me how to catch chub on the River Ribble. Now THAT would have made a good TV programme! Lots of information, loads of laughs and my first chub on the bank at the end of the day.

Put together a keen amateur angler with an expert, give them a challenge and then film the day, including all the inevitable cock-ups and the triumphs. I'd watch it!

Janet

You could always book yourself on the Test fish in and we will show you what real anglers are like, not sure how much fishing you will get to see but you will certainly see plenty of cock ups :lol::lol:

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!