Catch and Release

glennk

Catch And Release  

21 members have voted

1. 1. My Thoughts On Catch And Release

• I want to have the right to be able to keep every fish I ever catch regardless of whether I have a use for it or not
    • I am a responsible conservationally minded member of the fishing community. I will only keep what fish I have a use for (includes keeping for bait, feeding the dog or cat, and distributing to family and friends).
    • My Name is swampy anyone who kills a fish will find themselves buring in hell in the not to distant future. Anyone who kills a fish and doesnt return it needs to take a closer look at their values.

I guess that says where your vote would be placed then Stavey.

Not that it was a serious poll anyway Stavey, it would be representative of 20 people who hang out in a conservation forum on a Saturday and Sunday. Just a bit of a laugh really, there are worse things in this world to be concerned about.

I'm glad to see that this poll is not meant to be taken seriously Glenn. For a moment there I thought you were trying to wind up the C&R totalitarians. :whistling: If it had been serious I would have chosen the middle option, not because the wording of the two other options was so extreme, but because I believe that it is a responsible and sustainable way to practice angling.

Edited by Puffin

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

captain cojones,

How is the sea angling community organised in Spain. Do they have any say or influence on fisheries matters?

hi fishings fine.

we have systems of licences and minimum sizes here.spain is comprised of many autonomous regions, each one will have its own licence(s), size limits and other rules.

this is because, there is no way the fishing can be the same, when you have a med coast, a coast that is on the bay of biscay,the canaries stuck out in the atlantic, cueta and melilla on the north african coast etc.there are fish in one area that dont exist in another for example.

giving you an example of our region, we have a licence for coarse fishing and shore combined, and a seperate one for boat angling.if you buy one for boat angling it will cover you for everything.

the size limits for this region(only) are set locally, in the regional parliment, (el cortes).

i know that there is a organisation of mediteranean angling assocsiations,and locally we have a "federation de pesca de la comunadad valenciana"which does make representations to the ministry in valencia, but just how much influence they have on the regional government i just dont know.it would depend on the subject i suppose.

http://www.mediterranea-congres.org/

that is the assosiation of med angling clubs that i was on about.i read a bit about it at the time of the conference, and how they were going to change a lot of things for the balearic islands.

when i looked then, their website was still under construction, it doesnt look much better now!.

cheers dave

Why not just let the cases be put forward on their own Merit.

Ian I know feels he has a sound case for bag limits in the pollock fishery of his coastline. Knowing Ian it will be a well thought out plane based in science and designed to improve the fishing. Let Ian Take his ideas to DEFRA and say we will pay a licence and suffer bag limits in our area so we can have the improved fishing. If it falls flat on its arse and Ian is paying 20 quid a year to fish for nothing then he will have to suffer that or of course the opposite could happen and he may become a local hero for Bringing fantastic pollock fishing to the good people of Scotland.

Nigels Passion is Tope and Bass. So let Nigel take his ideas and do a deal on bass fishing and tope fishing then pay a licence for the pleasure of an improved fishery.

Cod fishing is on the downward slope. Its a commercial main target, the government don't give a **** (if you dont believe me wait till they go to europe in 4 weeks time and see how much they care). Why should I suffer the expense of paying to fish for something noone cares about, why should I have to take home 2 fish from my catch of 5. Why should I see the local fishing club finished for no benefit to anyone except Arnold Locker ???? No thankyou very much.

Hi Glen

I believe the Licence is coming what ever happens and to be honest for the sake of £20, I couldn't care either way. The government are trying tp put a £2000 road tax on my ancient Range Rover which is worth less than half that, so £20 isn't go to hurt me.

I do care about bag limits and believe each species and region should be treated in isolation. There is a case for bag limits on certain species but only as a management tool.

The extract below is the case prepared for the Scottish exec.

For example the call for bag limits on Pollack is to save the inshore Pollack from anglers not the commercials. Pollack are a very territorial fish living in the same bit of rough ground/wreck all summer and marks can easily be wiped out Once the big fish are removed from a mark, it doesn't fill up again with big fish until the small fish grow, which can be a number of years.

I feel it is important we try to protect them and history has shown despite intense angling pressure, marks can be sustainable year after year, providing fish are returned.

As fish stocks dwindle, it is only a matter of time before the Pollack is targeted and reports from certain areas of Ireland show it doesn’t take long to reduce the population to just small fish. In the long term restricting anglers to take home limits might be necessary, but for now we feel the way forward is through education, therefore we are requesting that the executive produce pamphlets and posters to be displayed in prominent places, informing anglers how important the Pollack stocks are to local economies and why it is so important to return fish..

This only works for territorial species and certainly wouldn.t work on cod, as they tend to more nomadic.

If bag limits on anglers for cod will make no discernoble difference to the stocks then it would be nonsense to implement such a rule. I believe you need to get organised and prepare for whatever gets thrown at you

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

Even if the licence was only a fiver, I'd still object to paying it because as things stand it would be daylight robbery. The product they want to sell us isn't any good at the moment. Let them improve it until it is something worth selling, then let them come back to us.

For anyone who doesn't mind paying money for nothing, I'm sure New Labour would be glad to accept your kind donations. Just don't expect a peerage or anything because it's a bit dodgy at the moment. :D:unsure:

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.