Your best fish of 2003

Gillies

Hi

Just wondering what is the best (or most memorable) fish people on AN caught at sea during 2003? I didn't have any big fish in 2003, but did have large quantities of fish (Haddock especially). The only fish that really sticks in mind is a rather small Ling of around 9 pound caught with 5 mins to go to win my clubs overall league boat championship ahead of my nearest rival. Other than that, just some 9-11 pound Cod and Pollack occasionally looked big in my catches.

Happy New Year.

Gillies :)

[ 31. December 2003, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: Gillies ]

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

Had a 14 pound-plus pollack from the shore which was immediately returned as little interest in silly certificates etc. Pal of mine says he had two baby halibut on his boat in loch Sunart recently; best apparently 23 lb. There have been others caught too following a recent breakout from one of the two local halibut farms, so he is probably telling the truth. Apparently the average farmed bait-taker is 17 lb.

In Nomine Satanas

I had three new species this year, and a couple of new type trips as well,including fishing for and catching a total of 5 skate, the most memorable was a male of 118lbs which nearly had me over the side...twice. I also went wrecking off the Hook of Holland, fishing on a wrecked U-Boat,fantastic,plus the charter skipper gave me some history on the wreck.I've also had some great beachcasting in Fife,catching a few fish. Definately been the most memorable year for Sea Fishing I've had in nearly 30years fishing, and to think some guys get paid for doing it too. So, thanks to the chappies involved,and the lads and lassies I've fished with, you know who you are..... :D All the best for 2004. :cool:

P.S. My biggest was a female Skate of 144lbs.

[ 31. December 2003, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: Norrie ]

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Most memorable was a 8.5lb bass taken as the sun set on a flat calm sea on a hot August evening about ten miles out from Langstone. Fabulous evening, spookily quiet but great fishing. It topped off a wierd afternoon where I was a key witness to an attempted murder of a policewoman - court apperance next year sometime

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

The most memorable, if not the biggest was a cod of 10lb or so taken near the blasket islands in Ireland in September. Maybe it was because I was completely relaxed without a care in the world, lovely sunny day etc but that fish sticks in the mind.

"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever you hit the target."

after 2 hours of daybreak spent fighting off 8oz bait stealing bass and having spent most of the night beforehand trying to hook something decent, the most memorable had to be the 4lber that tried to drag my rod off then stole 30ft of line off me while i kack handedly tried to adjust my drag and my mate struggled to get the net out from under his chair. It was landed with a bent hook and the slimest of purchase on the lip. Cooked that night, it was the best tasting fish i caught all year as well.

Biggest fish? The 205lb skate with Davy.

Most memorable fish has to be the wee Blackmouth doggie! I honestly thought Davy Holt was pulling my leg when he mentioned them. After the lengths we went to catch one, I`m not suprised they don`t feature in catch reports.

To make the catch complete. I had to show my mates the pic` before they`d believe they actually existed. Even Henry Gilbey had to admit that I was the first person he knew that had actually caught one!! And he`s the supposed `Flavour of the month` when it comes to angling personalities?

Well, I`ve been there and done that. I guess I`ll have to get Norrie to show me how to hook a decent `Hake`, and not lose it ;>) Or maybe a Tiger trout from Swanswater?

Paul.

A very prosperous New Year to all of you. I hope to meet a few more of the contributors next year.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!