AN ADVERT IN A NATIONAL NEWSPAPER TO LET ANGLERS KNOW WHATS GOING ON BEHIND THE SCENCES

big_cod

Hi Leon,

Is it possible for me to view the open address list of sacn members somewhere on your site ?

No

It wouldn't be right to publicly reveal personal details of members, and would be illegal under the data protection act.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest challenge
The reason the bass mls failed was a lack of support and some angling bodies in the south west actually coming out against it.

That was the point I made earlier on this thread, out of two million RSAs just over a thousand got involved and that is the reason it went down the drain. On reflection people like us should have made more effort to involve others, a simple petition circulated amongst not only anglers but anyone who would sign, the more names the greater the weight. If a thousand had got one hundred voters that would have been a wake up call.

I just hope we can do better on future issues.

That's something we have in common Barry :D I have a bloody bus stop outside my garden center with a bus station forty yards down the road, I am in the process of getting it removed. :D Sorry that was a bit of thread.

Ken, complements of the season.

You said that the reason the bass MLS failed was a lack of support and some bodies in the south west actually coming out against it.

“Out of two million RSAs just over a thousand got involved and that is the reason it went down the drain.”

How many of the one million nine hundred and ninety nine thousand that didn’t seam to give a dam about the MLS issue do you think gave up fishing? Sold there gear and tried another sport?

Did tackle sales go down because RSA representatives did not get everything they wanted from this issue? Did the number of people still trying to catch BASS dramatically drop because of the outcome, “the failure” as you put it?

What percentage of the one million nine hundred and ninety nine thousand do you think are happy with there hobby just the way that it is?

I look out of my front room window on a cold wet winters night and see all the lights of the local anglers doing what they love doing. Putting the effort into there hobby through the only democratic ballot box that most RSA recognise, there voting with there feet and there determination to be left alone to do what they want to do.

Regards.

No

It wouldn't be right to publicly reveal personal details of members, and would be illegal under the data protection act.

Just names would do!

Who is the registered Data Controller for SACN?

Edited by Jim Roper

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Take anywhere in the world, and depending upon your point of view it could be a good place to be or a bad place to be.

Happy people with a positive outlook can live in the same street as miseries who see all as doom and gloom.

The 'happies' choose to read different newspapers, follow different events, mix with different people than the 'saddies' do.

Not in anyway criticisng you Steve, it's the way people are.

My father was one who could only see the world in a negative light, preferring to moan about things rather than actually try and change things.

"What is the point?", He'd say. "Everyone's just out for themselves"

So many reasons why it wasn't worth the bother, why nothing would ever change.

Although we lived in the same house, our world's were very different.

I'd be mixing with people who thought like me ,that things could be changed, and we'd set about changing them, not always as much as we liked, but we thought for the better.

We take pedestrianised shopping areas for granted now.

Back in the seventies I was helping to chain off Oxford Street, bringing the traffic to a halt. We got the cars off Oxford street (but unfortunately not the buses and taxis), and that movement grew as more and more people demanded pedestrianised and safe shopping streets.

An East London council refused to put in a zebra crossing so that the kids in a tower block could safely cross a busy road to the Recreation Ground on the other side.

So we made our own and backed up the rush hour traffic as far back as could be seen from the top of the tower block.

And we got our pedestrian crossing.

And lots of other examples where I've seen people come together to bring about change that was resisted.

And I've seen massive changes over the years, in attitudes in events, all because people put in the effort to bring that change about.

But I've also seen people trying to fight causes that had no hope, and wasting valuable years.

And I hope that I've learned to recognise to put my time into not only what I believe is right, but what is achievable, but always aiming higher than I expect to reach.

I'm getting on now, my health and life won't last forever, and the number of fishable tides left to me reduces with the passing of every day.

Believe me, if I no longer believe that anything worthwhile was achievable through campaigning for better Recreational Sea Fisheries around these islands, I'd give up tomorrow and go fishing instead (probably somewhere else where they've learned to do it right).

But I don't believe for a moment that it's a lost cause.

Yes, we won't win every objective, and will often take 5 steps forward and be forced back 4, just as we think it's all coming together.

But we are moving down that road, and some of the goals we need to attain, though still too far away, are closer now.

And looking back 5 years I wouldn't have put a penny on half of what we have achieved so far, in building the foundations for the delivery of real benefits as we move further down the road.

I first took a rod into my hand at age 7, and fishing has been a part of my life ever since; freshwater, saltwater, in tropical places and through the ice, for fish that never grow more than a few ounces and for those where 100lb is considered small.

I've intimately shared my love of fishing with hundreds of others, and it's something that has bought purpose and joy into my life, even when I've been hungry, or not known which direction my shattered life would be headed next.

I feel that I owe the sport something, and in particular I owe the seven year olds of today, picking up a rod for the first time, the type of fishing that I once was able to enjoy, because it's possible.

But even so, if I didn't believe that was possible (I didn't say certain!), I'd be out of here, fishing instead of doing this.

Yes Steve, in the world that I live in, I do believe it's possible to bring that about. :)

The fact that I'm putting in the effort attests to that.

I admire such optimism, but, apart from pessimism, there is such a thing as realism too.

If one person sharing a house thought he could save a drug addicted thief by inviting him into his home and feeding him, he wouldn't be thanked by the other tenants when the television, stereo, computer, cameras, etc, all disappeared along with the thief.

When you look at what has happened over the last year or so, we shouldn't be in any doubt as to whether the people we are dealing with are to be trusted or not. They promised the earth because we are "the guardians of the oceans", and we also spend a lot of money. We could spend a lot more if they charged us a licence fee, but they have to give something in return. They gave us angling reps on SFC's, but some of those reps have been shouted down, harrassed, intimidated and bullied by commercial biased institutions. DEFRA and Bradshaw know, but have done nothing to address the problem. The BMP was a request from DEFRA. You would think that requesting a management plan for a species would mean they wanted to ensure the future success of the stock, and if they were to be believed to also give something better to recreational sea anglers, who are held in great asteem by them because we spend a lot of money. What they did will go down as one of the biggest climb downs ever on such issues, apart maybe from the welsh decision which was even worse from an RSA point of view. If that wasn't bad enough, to twist the knife even further, they now want to impose bag limits on recreational anglers. Such is their urgency to do so that they can't even wait for their marine bill to give them the powers they need to kick us while we are down. No, they are calling in the heavy mob. They have asked SFC's to do their dirty work for them through local by laws.

Now tell me this, are these people to be trusted or not? The way I see it they have given us nothing, (zero, zilch, nought, f*ck all, blank), and want to impose bag limits and licences and whatever else the commercial fishing industry wants them to throw our way. Meetings, promises, communication, strategies, documents, plans, schemes, sandwiches and cakes are no good whatsoever to recreational sea anglers. More and bigger fish, and the right to catch them, is all that matters. The people who pull the strings have proved that they aren't prepared to give us those things. Is it wise to try to bargain with these peopole using our rights as chips?

Edited by Steve Coppolo

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Hi Leon

Could you please inform the data controller that I would object to my name appearing on this forum; identifying me as a member of SACN :rolleyes:

Thank You

Steve Pitts

What if someone else has the same name?

How do I get hold of a list of email addresses for members then Leon ?

Does SACN furnish DEFRA with the names of it's represented membership, or are they just given the number of members? If the latter, why not put that number on here?

I simply wish to make every sacn member aware of the rsa strategy and that it is to be ratified in March. As a member of sacn I haven't received any info from them about this and the very important meetings they are attending regarding the rsa strategy and the marine bill. I am worried about the strategy stavey and I fear people are not informed of what is happening. This matter is too important for them not to be. Obviously if I'm wrong and everyone knows about it there is no harm in them having a little reminder.

Have you read the Recreational angling strategy Stavey and how did you find out about it ?