Oar fish?!

Tim Kelly

I just watched the lunchtime news and it ended with a story of a woman catching a 140lb Oar Fish from a beach in cornwall (I think). The BS meter really started whizzing when the cameras panned to a pretty blonde wandering along and as it panned back you could see she was carrying a beachcasting rod with a large Scarborough centrepin reel attached! She was apparently fishing for mackeral off the beach (arctic mackeral?) when the monster struck and it took her over an hour to beach it. The piece finished up with a line of blokes, looking suspiciously like trawlermen, in a line holding the very frozen looking fish with our blonde hero at the head end! Apparently Oar fish are a deepwater species which rarely get caught from the beach, that would be rarely as in never I expect!

How long before our blonde friend has a record out do you think?

Cynically yours

Tim

The fish looked as if it had been deep frozen, and the head seemed to be suspiciously damaged as well. I don't think it could conceivably come within the coarse fish category though.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

hi lads,

yeah the story was genuine and the blonde is a regular beach fisher,apparently the fish was well off its manor and is indeed a deep sea fish the boffins blame global warming, but they blame everything on that don't they,on a serious note the reason it looked frozen or not quite right was that they had tied it to a long piece of wood,according to the books these things can grow to 50ft in length!!!! i kid you not.

bigman.

Moving this to the sea fishing forum :)

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Hiya,

This is taken from Total Fishing's web site:

140lb 'ribbon fish' boated off north east coast - AMAZING PICS!!!

Wednesday 19th February 2003

LADY angler Val Fletcher will miss out on a new British, European and World record for this incredible ribbon fish because it was cut up before being officially weighed.

The 11ft 7in long creature was taken from a mark called Anchor Hole off Skenningrove, off the north east coast of England earlier this week. It took a squid bait and is estimated to have weighed around 140lb.

The fish, believed to be the first of the species ever landed in British waters, was

identified by amazed staff at Scarborough Sea Life Centre. The full story of the incredible catch will appear in next month’s Total Sea Fishing magazine.

Ok this has been on the site for a few days, now it's on the telly saying it was caught from the shore...... me thinks smomething is smelling of fish here :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Conspiracy or what!!

Just when Mike Millman does a piece in `Boat Fishing Monthly` about warm water fishes coming into our waters. Some sod goes and catches one!!

I`m waiting for the Barracudas to come sniffing around!

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!