An hour on the canal....

Tigger

Imagine the spinner wasn't sitting in the right place in the clip but was instead up near the 'pin'. A straight pull opens it up. It doesn't happen a lot, but the design allows for it.

Clips with a different design like the ones I linked to can't do that.

• Like 2

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Those in your link do look good Andrew, infact there are a few other variations that look sound also, like these which I have used quite a lot ....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SAFETY-INTERLOCK-SNAP-CLIPS-FOR-SEA-BOAT-FISHING-BAIT-RIGS-ZIP-LINK-SLIDER-BOOMS-/201199760681?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item2ed870b529

Being honest I wouldn't have expected the one that failed to have done so, just shows how you need to examine everything for possible faults.

The type of link illustrated is one that has let me down also, and the "American" snap illustrated at the foot of your link is also one I consider unreliable.

I have fitted most of my lures with a "cross-lock" link

post-812-0-17093000-1429773478_thumb.jpg

The downside of these is that when you have chilled fingers on a cold frosty morning the clips at the small end are really and literally a pain to open and close, particularly on plugs where the attachment is hampered by the shape of the plug head. So I buy an outsize pack of 100 of each size and attach one link to each lure in the comfort of an armchair !

Wire traces are made up the same way, which does entail opening (the large end !) of the trace clip on the riverbank to change lures.

Used them for stacks of predators from trout to tigerfish, and from perch to piranha. Never had the cross link fail. Mind you, little is safe from a piranha, I have had one escape by biting the plug in half !

[

Edited by Vagabond
  • Like 2

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Just to show how we're all different, I also prefer the type that Vagabond illustrated but don't personally have a problem opening. However it's usually known as a Duolock. The Crosslock, a different design, and marketed by Berkeley I find a devil to open!

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Just to show how we're all different, I also prefer the type that Vagabond illustrated but don't personally have a problem opening. However it's usually known as a Duolock. The Crosslock, a different design, and marketed by Berkeley I find a devil to open!

Ah so!

I remember the first time I bought them they were called Berkeley crosslocks, and as Steve says, were a devil to open.

This last batch (Duolocks) I bought about a year ago, and were sold to me when I asked for crosslocks. I didn't catch on they were of a different design, merely assumed I had got "cleverer" at opening them :doh:

Whatever, once attached, both designs work, so thanks Steve for clearing that up.

Later, just had a hunt through my lure boxes and found one of the original crosslocks. Now I am paying attention the difference in design is obvious, and yes, they are still difficult to open !

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Useful thread - I've never had a link open on me, but then I don't think I have used the type Tigger has for spinning. Attaching leads and feeders, yes, but I think all my spinning has been with American snaps. It never occurred to me that they might not be trustworthy either, but perhaps I will invest in some of the Duolocks!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm another fan of the crosslock type clips but also use Breakaway Fastlink Clips if I need a strong link that isn't bulky.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

All,

I just bet I don't understand. Why aren't you using a ball bearing snap swivel (the smallest you can find)? If you plan ahead you can use a matched "D" ring to insure it won't open.

Phone

Am I on the right track?

Edited by Phone