If you think bag limits are just for Bass...............

That smacks of the same kind of defence that perpetuators of excess have used before.

'It wasn't me, I was ordered to'

Only in this case it's

'It wasn't me, I was allowed to'

Hand on heart Steve, have you never thought 'We shouldn't be doing this'

then

'If I don't someone else will'?

You can't blame the system if you are a willing part of that system.

Even less so if you have profited from it and been aware that it is wrong.

And whenever there has been a proposal to tighten up the management, to protect vulnerable stocks, who has shouted loudest to have the proposals thrown out or watered down until they are all but useless?

The Scientists?

The Managers?

or

The Fishermen?

(Yes there have been instances where conservation initiatives have come from the catching sector, but overall the record of resisting any conservation measures that might hit profits has not left the catching sector to be seen in a good light by the public, or anyone who is concerned for the future of our marine resources)

See also: http://www.sacn.org.uk/Articles/The_Public...ht_to_Fish.html

Hi Leon

I do my job the same as what you anglers do, I abide by the laws that govern my job I see nothing wrong in what I do, there are plenty of fish around it is only the anglers that say theres not, You anglers are only trying to trash commercials for your own selfish greed

steve

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Leon

I do my job the same as what you anglers do, I abide by the laws that govern my job I see nothing wrong in what I do, there are plenty of fish around it is only the anglers that say theres not, You anglers are only trying to trash commercials for your own selfish greed

steve

Believe it or not, I want to see a sustainable and profitable catching sector, able to supply the needs of the population for fish.

If the stocks were properly managed, they would be able to produce a yield greater than the current size of the diminished stocks we have been left with.

But there has to be a realisation that you cannot take everything there is to take, that far more fish have to be left in the sea to produce the excess that we can sustainably remove.

Think of it as capital in the bank, producing a good income.

If you only take so much, you can take a reasonable amount and the capital actually increases.

If you take a bit more, then the capital stays the same, but you may have to use some of that capital for unexpected things.

Once you start taking out more than the interest, the capital starts going down, the interest gets less each year, and if you want to get back to where you once were, you have to do some serious belt-tightening.

I've no desire to trash the catching sector, not at all.

I really want to see plenty of fish, and a healthy marine ecosystem that will produce plenty for anglers and fishermen not just for the next few years, but for generations to come, with those working in the catching sector secure in the knowledge that there will be fish for them and for others long after they have left the scene.

And I want my grandchildren to know the kind of fishing that was available to me when I was a good few years younger.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Hi Leon

steve

Aaah c'mon a lot of that goes on from both sides theres more to this debate than two groups sitting slagging each other off, no matter what the subject this is how it always seems to degenerate.

I think, in fact i am sure that properly managed and sustainable fisheries would bnefit us all in the long term, the only point to debate is in which way we go about achieving this.

For both groups to start off on the defensive just leads to mud slinging and the good poiints which are made get ignored.

I find the comment about trashing commercials for selfish greed to be absolute rubbish from my point of view, if i am being selfish and greedy by wanting to be able to take a reasonably sized fish or two today then go back and catch the same tomorrow then maybe in a fortnight take a few more for the table (hardly 28 tonnes) thereby feeding my mrs and kids on fresh wholesome food then so be it.

By the same note i see no problem with the guy who catches the oft quoted 28tonnes (as long as it is sustainable fish) he is just providing the service of fishing for those who cant (or cant be arsed) catching their own.

Yes there are some greedy, immoral people on both sides of the debate and they are the only ones who win when the adult talk stops and the teddies get thrown out of prams. :wallbash:

Edited by roryh

If I ever get the hang of it they'll bloody well ban it!

By the way anyone fancy sponsoring me in the WSOP?

Which do condone Leon?

Catching as much as you like from a powered , licenced boat under quota restrictions whilst creating several shorebased jobs per 1 fisherman all contributing to the govenments pocket, which some where along the line filters through to pay for the MFA et al. or

Catching as much as you like from a powered ,unlicenced boat .

Are you for or against bag limits?. Any reasons?.

Believe it or not, I want to see a sustainable and profitable catching sector, able to supply the needs of the population for fish.

If the stocks were properly managed, they would be able to produce a yield greater than the current size of the diminished stocks we have been left with.

But there has to be a realisation that you cannot take everything there is to take, that far more fish have to be left in the sea to produce the excess that we can sustainably remove.

Think of it as capital in the bank, producing a good income.

If you only take so much, you can take a reasonable amount and the capital actually increases.

If you take a bit more, then the capital stays the same, but you may have to use some of that capital for unexpected things.

Once you start taking out more than the interest, the capital starts going down, the interest gets less each year, and if you want to get back to where you once were, you have to do some serious belt-tightening.

I've no desire to trash the catching sector, not at all.

I really want to see plenty of fish, and a healthy marine ecosystem that will produce plenty for anglers and fishermen not just for the next few years, but for generations to come, with those working in the catching sector secure in the knowledge that there will be fish for them and for others long after they have left the scene.

Hi Leon

Your tunnel vision has blinded you to see how much fish there really is, I fish for bass with rod and line and catch lots of bass and large at that.

steve

And I want my grandchildren to know the kind of fishing that was available to me when I was a good few years younger.

Which do condone Leon?

Catching as much as you like from a powered , licenced boat under quota restrictions whilst creating several shorebased jobs per 1 fisherman all contributing to the govenments pocket, which some where along the line filters through to pay for the MFA et al. or

Catching as much as you like from a powered ,unlicenced boat .

I don't condone the taking out of the stock more fish than the stock needs to maintain a healthy and robust population, however it is caught and whomsover it might benefit in the short term.

Are you for or against bag limits?. Any reasons?.

Bag limits have their place in the management of a number of successful Recreational Sea Fisheries, but only as part of a package that proportionately limits the removal of fish by all stakeholders.

Personally I would support the impsition of angling bag limits withim an overall management plan as suggested in the Bass Management Plan.

But bag limits that take away the rights of anglers, with no conservation benefit.

Simply to reserve fish for the catching sector, the back-pocket trade of licensed fishermen.

And as a draconian measure imposed on hundreds of thousands of anglers because existing measures to prevent abuse by a few unlicensed commercial fishermen are not being properly enforced, simply do not warrant the support of anyone, other than the vindictive.

The current proposals offer no conservation measures whatsoever, and are likely to lead to increased mortality as anglers compete to catch their 'bag'.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Hi Leon

Defra by increasing the bass mls on the anglers request need to apply conservation measures to anglers so as to justify the mls to commercials, you cannot have your cake and eat it

steve

Have i missed something, i thought the new mls applied to everyone to try and keep control of the bass stocks, welsh assembly excepted, those t....pots just pub talk defra into trying to issue new bylaws that have as much chance of success as our mr bradshaw.

He might decide to raise it to a more practical size to give the stock a chance to breed before getting eaten. I would like to see the average size of bass caught to be two plate fulls not one, think of the value to commercial that would be. That would be a real measure and i would vote for it.

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Defra by increasing the bass mls on the anglers request need to apply conservation measures to anglers so as to justify the mls to commercials, you cannot have your cake and eat it

But anglers didn't ask for a useless increase of just 4 cm.

We want a good population of bass in the 5 - 8lb bracket.

And to achieve that an mls of 55cm.

(The Prime Minister's Strategy Unit advised that the Government should look at making bass a wholly recreational species, as they were in the 1980s before the commercials moved in on the stock, but we felt that measures that improved the stock for the benefit of all was the way to go)

Then another compromise, an mls down to 45cm (around 2lb) with the aim of ensuring that all bass will have spawned before being taken, and which had overwhelming support from the vast majority of respondants to the consultation.

But thanks to commercial pressure, the Government bottled it and increased the mls by a meaningless 4cm.

Look at a ruler, do you really think anyone will notice that the baby bass they are catching are 4cm bigger?

And you might as well kill the fish at 36cm as 40cm, they still won't have spawned, so what's the point?

The Government have fallen far short of what anglers were asking for, and have delivered nothing of any appreciable benefit.

And for that you really believe that we should happily accept unjust bag limits with no conservation benefits?

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Look at a ruler, do you really think anyone will notice that the baby bass they are catching are 4cm bigger?

And you might as well kill the fish at 36cm as 40cm, they still won't have spawned, so what's the point?

The Government have fallen far short of what anglers were asking for, and have delivered nothing of any appreciable benefit.

Thanks for putting it more possher than me Leon, CHILD MOLESTING I CALL IT.

ps, is it the big hotel just as your getting into averly?

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..