Best knot for eyed hook - dexterity problems.

philocalist

Good luck!

If you struggle: PM me and we can arrange something where I'll tie you up some hook lengths and post them to you!

Or maybe someone else here could?

The offers there if you need it! I'll happily tie you some hook lengths to use!

I tie eyed hooks via a uni / grinner knot unlees I want to hair rig the bait then I use the knotless knot.

You could try spade end hooks, once you get used to the tying the spade knot it's very easy and the presentation is far better than with an eyed hook. The rumour that your line cuts on the spade is just that "a rumour"...it doesn't for me anyhow.

To join your hooklength to your mainline you could try using a micro swivel and attatch it using a uni one both ends. Another option would be to fish your mainline straight through which I do for the most of my fishing unless they're shying away.

With eyed hooks, I usually use the Palomar knot - fairly simple to tie, rarely fails.

Our chief weapon is surprise

Errrm ... they were precisely the ones that failed on me when confronted with some lumpy tench......... :doh:

Strange how different people have different experiences, I won't use anything else!! I think they are far superior to anything I could tie myself.

Mat

Mat

Philo,

Let me make a different suggestion - ""ASHLEY FRANCIS HAND TIED RIG service to all anglers who like to be prepared but simply don’t have the time to tie rigs in volume themselves.""

Don't do any of it yourself. Just jingle the guy and talk it over with him. Or - tell him exactly what you want.

Phone

PS - He's there in England

Philo,

Let me make a different suggestion - ""ASHLEY FRANCIS HAND TIED RIG service to all anglers who like to be prepared but simply don’t have the time to tie rigs in volume themselves.""

Excluding materials it works out to be about 33p per hooklength and you get a box for them. Not bad if you want to use spade end hooks but can't do the knot :giveup: .

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

You could just try a drop of rig glue on the shop bought knots and see if that improves them for you.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

as a slight aside:

how often do people lose a hook due to a bad knot these days? that's you've tied yourself

I think I can count on one hand the times since I started fishing again when a knot to hook has failed me....

considering all the knot variations out there do we think there is "one knot to rule them all"? or are they all as strong as each other and we simply prefer one or think it presents better?

Edited by kirisute

There are definitely differences in performance, though a weak knot tied correctly is often stronger than a strong one tied badly.

• Like 2

To be honest, I've not really had problems with knots at all prior to this incident - I was always more concerned about the potential damage to line being caused by the application of shot, particularly when you start sliding it up and down the line to adjust end tackle.

I wonder which has the greater potential for losing fish?