A German Girl would like to find good fishingplaces in the UK

Patrizia

Hi Peter,

famous, who, me? :whistling: I'm just an author, that's all, and a girl who likes to fish. Wher did you find the article, at amazon.de? Would really interest me.

Thanks for the nice compliment and for the link. I will take a look at it soon.

Even people who are interestes in Vampires can be nice. I just have a little to much fantasy :crazy: and I like to right, but I'm not thirsty for blood, not yet. :spiteful:

Be aware!!! :rolleyes:

4ham55k.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, sorry for the delay in replying, I don't get on here as often as I would like.

The river tyne is one of the most Northern rivers in England. Two rivers rise from the penine hills which run down the middle of Northern England. The North Tyne flows from Keilder Forrest on the Border between England and Scotland, the largest woodland in England (I believe) and flows east joining the South Tyne near a lovely ancient market town called Hexham.

The South Tyne rises about 40 kilometres further south near England's highest Market Town, Alston, it flows east via a small town called Haltwhistle which styles itself "The Centre of Britain" (It is situated next to the most complete section of Hardian's Wall, built by the Roman's to control the passage of people between England and Scotland). I live near there. Again this river flows East.

From Hexham the river becomes The River Tyne, which flows through beautiful town of Corbridge before becoming tidal before it reaches Newcastle (one of the major cities in the North of England). The river then flows past the dramatic gateshead/Newcastle valley, bridged by some stunning bridges both old and new, before heading through the Shipyards to join the Sea.

Though I'm not from this area, the upper reaches of the tyne valley remain one of the few unspoilt areas of England which is why I choose to live here.

On the fishing side, the river is the best salmon river in England, though they are still hard fish to catch. For your best chance you will need a rod suitable for spinning for pike, and line of about 6kg breaking strain teamed up with a well engineered real.

Though many lures can work, lures can be bought locally which are suited to the river.

This set up will also stand you in good stead for bait fishing for salmon, though bait fishing is not allowed on many parts of the river and spinning is not allowed on all (but it is allowed on most)

The traditional method for fishing for salmon (and sea trout) is to fish the fly, though your chances of success are probably better with bait or spinner, some clubs only allow the fly.

As mentioned, we also have a run of Sea Trout. These are brown trout which have decided to go to sea to feed, but have headed back to the river to spawn. In the tyne they have been known to grow to nearly 10kg.

I'm the secretary of the Haltwhistle and District Angling Association who have 6 miles of River on the South Tyne. We allow bait fishing and spinning and for a beginner this would increase your chances of catching a fish (they can be very hard to catch).

We do not allow visitors on our water in October for various reasons which I wont go into, however during September visitors can fish our waters at a cost of £25 per day or £60 per week. One of our landlords does, however, receive 2 tickets which can be used by people staying at their excellent bed and breakfast accomodation during October. (If you search on Wydon Farm near Haltwhistle you should find the website). As yet they have no bookings for anglers during October.

If you do wish to visit our stretch of river please contact me prior to your arrival and I can arrange for one of the members to take you to some of the more likely spots.

Dunk, we offer this service to all visitors, and this information, we are an open club.

Tight Lines and best of luck in your forthcoming trip.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

Hi phil dean, ^_^

it's very understandable and really ok, that you can only reply when you find time. I'm also very busy at the moment and can only look in to the forum during writing and publishing.

Thank you very, very much for the detailed discription of the river tyne - north and south - and the sights allong it. I'm faszinated. Thats why I like england so much, there is history everywhere, and of course beautyful places to fish. I can really understand why you choose to live in that part of england, it sounds beautyful - unspoiled nature - and I'll cheek it out as soon as I can in google. It's actually getting harder with every post to make up my mind, so many beautiful places on the Island, and so many nice people. :group:

The best thing is, that I already have the equipment to catch salmon, because it's nearly the same as to catch pike. I can hardly wait to step into an british fishingshop, want to see what they sell.

Thank got, that spinning is allowed on most rivers, because I love to do it. Here in Germany we can spin on all rivers, but not throughout the whole year.

I would like to learn flyfishing, even though it looks very difficult. But I agree with you, I'll catch more as a beginner with bait or spinner.

So you can catch sea trout in a river, cool. I like to go fishing right now. It sounds like a wild catch - 10 kg. But I'm not very strong :bb: - actually very week :cry: , a sea trout is probably gonna catch me!!! :giveup:

Thanks also for the information about the law. Then I'll probably contact you soon and show up in your office in september, if my publisher lets me. The price is alright. I'll check out Wydon Farm as soon as I know if I got time. I'm shure it's a nice place to stay.

Are there any carps to fish in the tyne?

Thanks again very , very much for your nice offer, to help me. I apriciate that so much. Your a nice considerate Gentleman. :thumbs:

4ham55k.jpg

Blimey Phil, That was almost a travelogue. :o Do you work for the local Tourist Board, by any chance? ;)

Vampires.... the undead.... waiting for their victims under the cover of darkness.

Mmmm, I think you've found the right place here Patrizia.

But I think the carp session guys, fit the description better than most. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Hi John,

right on! The carp-hunters really are nightlovers. Are you a carp-hunter? Then be aware, the vampires hunt at night and they like fisherman!!! :crazy:

4ham55k.jpg

Then be aware, the vampires hunt at night and they like fisherman!!!

The vampires need to always make sure they do not seem to the carp anglers like something that might make a good bait else it is they who would be unsafe. :blink::unsure:

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Thanks, Peter, for given me this Link. It's always interesting to see, what's writen about little old me and where.

I must agree with you DavyR. But it's even more "funny" if it's about the one who reads it. :wallbash:

Hi Newt,

very true and a frightening thought for a vampire. :headhurt:

It's so much fun chating with you all!!!

Patrizia

4ham55k.jpg

I didn't mean that the carp session guys really are the 'undead'.....but the ones I've met on the bank, certainly smell like they are. :rolleyes:;)

As you've probably guessed, I don't fish for carp, I spend most of my time trying to avoid them. :)

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John