Jet ski nightmare

rufus

On a slightly positive note, we have lots of these folks on fresh water and while they annoy the stuffing out of me, fish seem to pay very little attention on waters where there is lots of jet ski activity. A typical summer day will see some on almost any water that is large enough and often up to a dozen making runs by where you are fishing.

I've had bites as the things were passing fairly close and never more than a 5 minute break in the action because of one buzzing around.

That being said, a 3oz lead across the bows usually convinces them to go elsewhere to do whatever it is that they are doing.

Note though - with the jet ski guys and the water skiers in larger boats, many of us opt to fish evening/night sessions to avoid them.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HI, Big Jim and myself are off to fish Loch Earn on Sunday, but, due to the Jet skis/Speed boats/Bananas we will have to pack in at about 10am,as when they rise from there slumbers at about 0930 hrs the first thing they do is start revving those bleedin annoying engines....Does my box in, what a way to spend a Sunday Morning, tho, they probobly say the same :D ...

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

thanks to jet skies , wirral bourough council have closed all slipways on the wirral BAR ONE !! to launch you need to have a £85.00 launch permit as well as RYA level 2 (RNLI DONT NEED THIS) you also launch in one of the most dangerous parts of the river, and remember all this was imposed because of jet skies and because one knob head went through the middle of the sea cat, yet they dont need the same certificates !!!

HOW WRONG IS THAT !!!

So are jet ski's completely unlicensed? Surely not! There must be some kind of control of craft on the water that covers them..they cant just do what they want can they? They are horribly powerful and the power to weight ratio of these things must put them on a par with modern superbikes...right?

I Had to say `foul the prop-shaft`.

If I`d have promoted adding a few size 6/00 `s to the line as well. It would have been obvious I was promoting catching the skier and not his testosterone boost!!

:rolleyes: Paul. :rolleyes:

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Reminds me of something I read about the Vietnam War. The delta gunships were 'jet' driven and so the NVA/VC used to dump loads of rice into the river as an ambush technique. The rice would clog the pumps and stall the boat. You'd need a hell of a lot of rice when fishing from the sea shore though! Maybe the rocket launcher approach would be more practical, although that really would disturb your swim :D

Neil.

True Neil, but come back the next day and your swim would have been nicely ground baited for toothy meat-loving critturs! :rolleyes:

On a related note, what do you do with pillocks in wetsuits and snorkels who insist on floating on top of your baited hooks watching the wrasse feeding on the aforementioned baits!

Where are those great whites when you need them? :D

Kieran Hanrahan

Catch this release... www.sea-angling-ireland.org

You get your plugging rod and wait and see if they have as little confidence in your casting abilities as you do!

Especially useful if the rubber suited people also have spearguns and are trying to chase the bass you are trying to catch!

Allegedly I might add- would never do such a thing......

B.A.S.S. member

rufus:

So are jet ski's completely unlicensed? Surely not! There must be some kind of control of craft on the water that covers them..they cant just do what they want can they? They are horribly powerful and the power to weight ratio of these things must put them on a par with modern superbikes...right?

Totally unlicenced. This is the uk. We have a right 'to go down to the sea in ships'

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote