Closed season, what's the point?

Guest Ferret1959

Guest Brumagem Phil

I think newt makes a very valid point.

My take is why have a close season if the @rsehole anglers ignore it and the well meaning anglers observe it...............all back to front if you ask me and defeats the object :cry:

I wonder what Bob Nudd thinks? :shutup:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do other Countries have closed seasons,if so why?
France does. No idea why.

http://www.unpf.fr/regles/ouverture2007_a1.php

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

We in Germany also have a clossing season, in the spring, every year. Spring closing time is from 15th of april until 31 of may. But it's diffrent for every kind of fish, it even depends on the state and the river. It's way to complikated, like everything here in Germany. :wallbash: And we are not allowed to catch a fish under a certain length., like a pike not under 50 cm. Of course you can't help it, if you catch one, but you should not fish for them, on purpose.

4ham55k.jpg

Here in South OZ we have a close season on snapper that coincides with the breeding season. last year a couple of blokes were caught and fined for fishing 6 hours too early on the last day of the close season.

Aquatic reserves / Closed Areas / Closed Seasons

Many fish have traditional breeding and nursery grounds. These are either spawning areas, to which fish migrate every year, or nursery areas where juvenile fish can develop and grow under optimum conditions and relative safety. When such areas are identified, closed areas may be implemented to protect the juvenile animals and their habitats.

Seasonal closures are declared to protect some heavily fished species during their breeding seasons. Female blue crabs, giant crabs, yabbies and rock lobsters with external eggs are protected because they are close to the completion of their breeding cycle. If caught, they must be returned to the water immediately.

Below is a list of some of the closures / closed areas:

Snapper Closure

A total prohibition on the taking of snapper (Pagrus auratus) in all waters of South Australia exists from midday Wednesday 1 November until midday Thursday 30 November 2006. Fishers who take snapper incidentally during this closure are required to returned them to the water immediately. Heavy fines apply.

Aquatic reserves

The marine and estuarine waters of South Australia represent some of the most biologically diverse waters to be found along the temperate Australian coastline. This diversity is the result of a remarkable array of coastal landforms and habitats and the considerable variability in sea temperatures along the South Australian coast. These factors have combined to produce a rich variety of underwater organisms and communities, many of which are found no where else in the world.

The Government of South Australia is committed to the protection, wise use and enjoyment of South Australia's marine and estuarine habitats.

To this end, it has established a system of aquatic reserves along our coast to protect representative habitats, ecosystems and communities, while permitting appropriate uses and promoting public education.

South Australia's first Aquatic Reserve was established in 1971. Since then, a number of reserves have been established . In 1995, South Australia's first marine park was established in the Great Australian Bight.

In South Australia, there are 15 aquatic reserves or parks.

Click on the number on the map below that corresponds with the Aquatic Reserve you would like to know more about. This will enable you to see (and print) enlarged maps and information about permitted activities in each of the State's Aquatic Reserves.

The coordinates shown on these maps are based on Australian Geocentric Datum 1994 (GDA 94) which coincides almost exactly with WGS84. Some adjustment may be required depending on the GPS navigational system used.

View the map showing the location of the State's Aquatic Reserves

Rock lobster seasons

The rock lobster fishery is divided into two zones – Northern and Southern.

The taking of rock lobster is prohibited during the following closures: Northern zone (W of Longitude 1390 0' 4.80"E (GDA 94) is closed between 6pm 31 May to 12 noon 1 November.

Southern zone (SE of Longitude 1390 0' 4.80"E (GDA 94) is closed between 6pm 31 May to 6am 1 October.

NOTE The southern zone season has been extended to allow fishing in the month of May for the 2005 and 2006 seasons.

Apart from these seasonal closures, berried rock lobster (females carrying eggs) is protected at all times and must be returned to the water immediately.

Rock lobster is totally protected at all times in rock lobster sanctuaries, which include:

• Cape Jaffa

• Margaret Brock Reef

• Rivoli Bay

• Gleeson Landing

• All aquatic reserves

Port MacDonnell Breakwater

Restrictions apply to the use of rock lobster pots, hoop nets and drop nets around the Port MacDonnell Breakwater. Click here to see map containing more details.

Abalone closure

The taking of abalone is prohibited in all of the waters of Waterloo Bay (Elliston) contained within the line commencing at the high water mark on the shore of Wellington Point across to Salmon Point.

Cuttlefish closure

The State Government has moved to further protect South Australia's unique cuttlefish spawning ground in False Bay, near Whyalla by implementing a year round closure.

As a result it is unlawful to take any cephalopods from the closed area at any time. This includes cuttlefish, squid and octopus. The closure continues through until 31 December 2006.

The closed area includes all waters of the Spencer Gulf enclosed by a line from the lighthouse at Point Lowly to the southern end of the Point Bonython jetty, then in a south westerly direction to the eastern most point of the BHP jetty, (position latitude 33° 02' 12.63"s, longitude 137° 36' 1.98"e (GDA 94) near Whyalla, then to the high water mark at the base of the jetty, then following the high water mark along the shoreline in an easterly direction back to the point of the commencement. This area still remains open to commercial and recreational fishers targeting other fish species.

Other Restrictions

All fishing is banned in the following areas:

• Within 150m of locks and weirs on the River Murray;

• At inlets to West Lakes and in front of private residences around the lake

• The portion of the waters of Gulf St Vincent off the coast of Wirrina Cove (Fleurieu Reef) bounded by a circle of radius 0.5 of a nautical mile centred on a point at latitude 350 28' 48.90" s, longitude 1380 09' 34.85" e (GDA 94);

• In many aquatic reserves.

Additionally, the following closed areas and seasons apply:

• Blue groper in waters of Spencer Gulf, Gulf St Vincent, Investigator Strait and Backstairs Passage north of the geodesic commencing at high water mark on the shore at Newland Head, position latitude 35° 39¢ 00² south, and longitude 138° 31¢ 00² east, then in a direction of 238°T, to high water mark on the shore at Cape Willoughby in position latitude 35° 51¢ 10² south, and longitude 138° 07¢ 40² east, then from high water mark on the shore in position latitude 35° 53¢ 10² south and longitude 136° 32¢ 00² east, (west coast of Kangaroo Island adjacent to West Bay), in a direction of 321°T to high water mark on the shore at Cape Carnot, position latitude 34° 56¢ 45² south, and longitude 135° 37¢ 30² east at all times.

• Bream in the Onkaparinga River, upstream of the Main South Road bridge at Noarlunga from 1 September to 30 November (inclusive).

• Goolwa cockles from 1 June to 31 October (inclusive).

• Murray Cod from 1 September to 31 December (inclusive).

• Razor fish in upper Spencer Gulf in an area contained within a line commencing on the shore of Spencer Gulf adjacent to beacon No. 8, then due east to that beacon, then generally northerly to beacons 9, 13, 20, 19, 21, 23 and 28, then due west to Curlew Point. This area is closed during the months of January, February, October, November and December.

• The taking of molluscs (shellfish) is prohibited in all waters of West Lakes.

• The taking of prawns is prohibited in all waters of South Australia in waters less than 10m deep and other waters subject to seasonal closures.

Author: Andrew Dalgetty Last Updated: Not Available

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

© Copyright | Privacy | Disclaimer

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

Well seen two 'anglers' fishing the river near me today.

There's bound to be more just carrying on throughout the closed season.

What can be done to educate folk about closed seasons on rivers or is it not worth it?

Saw 9 people fishing today shouted out to them that they shouldnt be fishing,saw 7 of them again an hour later still fishing so went home rung the E.A hotline. Baliff just rang me back,he found three teenagers under 14 fishing withoout licences as well,one of the parents was contacted to come and pick them up (under 14's get a warning usually and nothing more first time) and four adults have been booked in a seperate group three for not having licences and all four for fishing out of season.

He did mention that it was pot luck that he was on stand by duty as no one would usually be able to come out.

Edited by jamie dimery-seek

I'm always glad of the break, gives me a chance to catch up on the everyday chores and get a few weekends in at work. Could the original closed season have been timed to coincide with trout spawning maybe?

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

The close season was bought in after the first world war and coincides with what was the opening of the salmon fishing season which started on the 14th of march. The real reason was that us rude vulgar coarse anglers would be made to keep away from the rivers so the gentry could have the whole streach to themselves. It should be up to the owners of the fishing on any streach to decide on whether to shut down or not. If i see any one fishing on my local streach i would not report them to the EA as mostly they don't respond. i have reported it to the fishing club who own the rights to fish in the past.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

Must admit, I would much prefer a close season to include stilwaters as well as rivers. It's always come across to me as rather self defeating to want to abolish the close season on the basis of an argument that nature doesn't need a rest right at the point of regrowth, & the fish don't need a break at the point of activity increase brought on by the increasing temps.. Also if you argue that the fish will suffer for the lack of bait going in during the close season, you have to ask yourself, is it morally acceptable to keep a stock level that high that fish starve without anglers bait.

It's quite common to scoff at the pro close season anglers, but a lot of the anti c/s arguments are financially motivated in the case of fishery owners & club committees. On a individual level it's difficult not to see it as a selfish need to catch fish irrespective of the environment.

We're often pushing the the line that anglers are true conservationists, & in truth the majority are, but the abolitionists dent that argument. Irrespective of a lack of hard evidence, public perception of a conservationist would easily make us look bad.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

It seems to me that fish are pretty much uncatchable when they're spawning or the water temperature is too hot for them, so the whole fish protection arguement is bogus. If people want to stop fishing for 3 months they are perfectly entitled to, but it is ridiculous to impose your strange view of the world on everyone else just so you have some easier fishing when you decide to start again!

Salmon and seatrout are only available to be caught when they're preparing to spawn....

Tim

It seems to me that fish are pretty much uncatchable when they're spawning or the water temperature is too hot for them, so the whole fish protection arguement is bogus. If people want to stop fishing for 3 months they are perfectly entitled to, but it is ridiculous to impose your strange view of the world on everyone else just so you have some easier fishing when you decide to start again!

Salmon and seatrout are only available to be caught when they're preparing to spawn....

Love it Tim, it's all about having easier fish to catch..nice one :lol: :lol:

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.