Catching Pike on Lobworm

fruitloopy

If anyone reads this and is thinking..."You cant catch Pike on Lobworm!" then I would have thought that up until this evening.

I have been out fishing since 8am this morning and caught several very small Perch and Roach but mostly bugger all. I was getting some strange bites but not connecting with them.

Suddenly at about 6:30pm the float shot under with my lobworm on the hook. I struck and immediately wondered what I had as it didnt fight like a tench, carp or bream. I got it closer and netted my biggest pike so far, a PB at just 4lb (I dont do much pike fishing).

10 minutes later, on Dendras this time, I hooked into another smaller jack pike at 1lb.

The light had fadded so I put on a starlight and two dendras, a couple of minutes later the light attached to the float started travelling slowly to my left. I had gone about 3 feet when it sunk under and I struck.

It took a few seconds to realise it had been hooked but once it did it did its best to shake me off. I caught another PB pike of 7lb!

I packed up after that, I was hungry and needed beer!

Is it normal to catch pike on worms? I'll get some pics on here later.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have caught lots of pike on lobworms when fishing for perch. I can't ever remember 3 in one session though. Perhaps you were fishing when the 'magic switch' clicked on and the pike were moved to feed so urgently that the worms were irresistable.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Used to fish air injected lobs in the weir pools on the Thames as you just didnt know what you would get but more often than not it would be Pike so much so that we took to fishing them hair rigged on a wire trace to avoid bite offs,We fished them popped up to avoid the big eels but they dont seem to be there any more Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Yup fairly normal. We used to fish for them using scaled down rigs, probably much like zed rigs, with 3-4 lobs on a single 10 treble. The action could be fairly fast and furious. The biggest I caught was a scraper dubble but I see no reason why larger wouldn't take a bunch of lobs quite readily, if presented to them.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

If anyone reads this and is thinking..."You cant catch Pike on Lobworm!" then I would have thought that up until this evening.

Is it normal to catch pike on worms? I'll get some pics on here later.

litlpike.jpg

You can even get them on maggots..caught this little fella on great ouse in july

Like Emma, I have often caught pike on worms whilst targeting perch, like yours mine were all small jack pike.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

It's quite common on some waters and very rare on others, not sure why! I caught one little pike while perch fishing with lobs this weekend and narrowly avoided two others which had a swipe as I was reeling in. The first time I fished Wingham we were plagued by pike on lobs - and they were good fish too, averaging 15lb:

Much bigger than when I actually try to catch the damn things :rolleyes:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music