Catching Pike on Lobworm

fruitloopy

You'll probably find the banks support a fairly healthy population of worms. Most river species become active at the first sign of rain simply because they're aware that rain brings food and as a result, they'll give mostly anything a bash. The same cannot be said for many lochs, ponds and waterways, where the rain fails to bring a free bounty. The ressie I was taking pike from has very steep grassy banks. Again, I'm sure the pike under these banks are well used to coming across all manner of bugs, grubs, slugs and things that squirm.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had 2 jacks this season this season on coarse baits. One caught on double red maggot - caught on the retrieve and one on lobworm when after perch. I'd typically get around ½doz per winter 'perching' with lobs...My mate Glenn had his biggest ever pike - 16¼lb when I took him barbelling on the Kennet once - the pike fell to a hair-rigged 11mm pellet!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

One of my biggest pike came on double maggot, 18 hook and 1.5 hook length.

I don't know it's exact weight, but it took a 10lb scale to the bottom with a bump.

Whether it took the bait as it was falling, or struck at a fish and the hook caught in the scissors, I'll never know. But I have taken plenty of pike up to about 8lb, on lobworm over the years, as well as maggot, breadflake, luncheon meat, and the occasional swimfeeder. :D

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

My biggest pike so far this season took legered hair-rigged fake corn at half past midnight in April! The bait was static and had been out for hours (after bream/tench). It weighed 15lb 6oz. Crazy. A real one-toner too, I thought I had a carp :D

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

and the occasional swimfeeder. :D

Reminds me of a time I had goodish (low double) pike played all the way to the bank - on a bait dropper!!!! It grabbed it as I retrieved and wouldn't let go!!! I had it beat on the surface close by a highish bank wondering what the hell to do next as I hadn't even set up my landing net. Eventually it saw the error of its ways and spat the thing out - but I'm sure I could have landed it had I a net ready!

C.

litlpike.jpg

You can even get them on maggots..caught this little fella on great ouse in july

Great pic - reminds me of the 1st 3 lines of Ted Hughes great poem.....

Pike, three inches long, perfect

Pike in all parts, green tigering the gold

Killers from the egg: the malevolent aged grin.

C.

The pond where I first cut my fishing teeth held pike and try as we might, they just would not get caught on lures,lives or deads so much so that it became accepted fact. THE way to target them was bayer perlon 4.4 lb ,float rod and size 8 hook with a lobworm. All captures were hooked in the scissors, no trace just mono all the way through. I guess we could have kept one rod out with a fish bait and trace on but nothing ever came of it when that method was tried by anybody.

The pond where I first cut my fishing teeth held pike and try as we might, they just would not get caught on lures,lives or deads so much so that it became accepted fact. THE way to target them was bayer perlon 4.4 lb ,float rod and size 8 hook with a lobworm. All captures were hooked in the scissors, no trace just mono all the way through. I guess we could have kept one rod out with a fish bait and trace on but nothing ever came of it when that method was tried by anybody.
Funny you should say that. The first pike I caught on a worm was on 5lb mono with no trace. I got a birds nest just after I casted. By the time I had my line sorted out I decided I may as well wind in, re-bait and try again. I didn't even know I had a fish on until he was at my feet. Despite me not striking at all he was hooked in the scissors.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote