Tench baits

Anderoo

Surely Tench size is also down to the water as much as the bait? If you go to a carp lake that has had boilies flug into it for the last few decades, the tench will be getting rather big, and partial to the odd boilie. If you fish the canal, the tench are not likely to be as big, but your biggest one might have come to a worm, maggot, or piece of corn, as that is what the fish there are used to.

Judging by the variety of baits mentioned already in this thread, I would be worried about picking a bait that somebody has caught their biggest fish on rather than one that works well on your chosen water.

As always, just my humble opinion.

Cheers,

Simon

Yes, there are a million and one factors, and I'm not planning to choose a bait based on this thread, I'm just interested in what everyone's biggest tench has been caught on - whether that's a fluke, a dedicated campaign, or whatever :)

It's already interesting to see such a variety.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, there are a million and one factors, and I'm not planning to choose a bait based on this thread, I'm just interested in what everyone's biggest tench has been caught on - whether that's a fluke, a dedicated campaign, or whatever :)

It's already interesting to see such a variety.

OK mate, cool. FYI my best tench is only 3.5lb, which came to 2 red maggots (my fave maggot combo!)

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

My biggest tench (5.12) was taken on a single grain of corn on a size 16 hook.

My brother had his PB last week at 5.01 on a 10mm Halibut pellet (we had 10 tench between us that day, all on the same pellets)

I've also had some succes with cockles as chris mentions, and trout pellet paste!

I've never had much luck trying to tench with maggot / caster, the silver fish always seem to find them before the tench for me!

Mat

Mat

Despite our recent conversations, my biggest tench was on sweetcorn and maggot cocktail the next few biggest were on black pudding or sweetcorn (I can't remember) this is however because I've never fished bread, boilies, cockles, etc for large tench or in waters with large tench!

I've done ok on maggots and casters but up to now most waters I've fished for them had had too many perch or little rudd!

Rich

My pb was caught on good old sweetcorn and red maggot at Wingham last year.

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"

Ive had tench over 8lb (thats what I personally consider to be the mark for a "big" tench) on breadflake,troutpellet paste,sweetcorn,boilly and worm.Both intentionaly and accidently whilst fishing for other species as well on all!

As mentioned it really does depend on the water and the angling the water sees.

For what its worth my biggest at 9lb 4ozs fell to bread flake.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Sweetcorn real stuff,

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic