Split Cane - does anyone still use them?

Unimexsol

I have a MK4 avon ........the ferrule got stuck

An old trick to prevent metal ferrules sticking is to rub the male ferrule on your scalp (that's for guys that still have their own hair :rolleyes: ) before setting up.

That picks up enough natural grease from the sebaceous glands in the scalp to keep the ferrules from sticking.

You will get some odd looks from people that think you are scratching your nits, but hey, the upside is that they keep away from your swim :)

IF you DO get ferrules stuck, the classic way out of it is to enlist another's help. Facing each other, each of you grips the joint either side of the ferrule. (ie his left hand and your right on one joint; his right and your left on the other). Then a push-pull from both of you and the ferrules come apart like magic.

DON'T grip the rod rings to help you twist the joints.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An old trick to prevent metal ferrules sticking is to rub the male ferrule on your scalp (that's for guys that still have their own hair :rolleyes: ) before setting up.

That is certainly the way I learned.

- rod sack out of metal carrier and rod out of it's sack

- rub male ferrule in the hair several times

- put the pieces together and continue setting up

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

That is certainly the way I learned.

- rod sack out of metal carrier and rod out of it's sack

- rub male ferrule in the hair several times

- put the pieces together and continue setting up

Does it still work with V05 remoudable putty in your hair? I'm worth it you see.......

:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I've just come back from visiting my dad for a couple of days.

Vagabond, apparently the steel rod is an Apollo. Judging from your post I'm guessing that it's a good rod? Or just a rare one?

I also picked up one of the split cane rods and was suprised that it wasn't as heavy as I was expecting! It's looking more and more likely that I'll start using one. Would a split cane still be suitable for piking or should I stick with my carbon-fibre for that?

He also showed me a wonderful contraption that enables you to use a centrepin reel like a fixed spool. The item itself was the simplest thing but one that I'd never have thought of in a million years!

Unfortunately I think he sold off his Alcock's reels a few years ago but he's still got more fishing equipment than you can shake a rod at. Although he's got a little bit less now seeing as he gave me a few of his old floats (mainly homemade), a fly rod and a three piece coarse rod.

Please keep your fingers crossed that the weather is good in a week's time as he's coming down to London and myself and my cousin are going fly-fishing with him at Walthamstow resevoirs (his health permitting).

He also showed me a wonderful contraption that enables you to use a centrepin reel like a fixed spool. The item itself was the simplest thing but one that I'd never have thought of in a million years!

Sounds like a "Sidecast" reel - you can still buy them:

http://total-fishing-shop.co.uk/product_in...4b93d74f193c08e

the original apollo's were tank arials but later came the well made stepped steel rods which were (and still are) a joy to use in those back to your boyhood fishing days ,i never left fiberglass for general float fishing finding carbon rods too stiff and unweildind for my liking ,i bought a carbon rod and it is light but compared to my trusty fiberglass not a patch on its action ,its been used mostly to retreive other peoples floats in trees when its just out of reach of my 14ft aitken.

the abu ferrulite rods the hardy matchmaker and a few others are in my oppinion are unmatched by any other modern rod if you exclude weight

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Funnily enough a couple of the split cane rods that I will inherit are my father's own creations. I find it amazing that it wasn't all that long ago (40 years?) that a fair few anglers made their own rods.

You may remember that last year I asked about getting a rod repaired that my father had made for me. Ok that was made from Carbon fibre blanks but even still I doubt that many anglers now can make up a rod from a blank.

As for the steel rod I've only ever held it once or twice and compared to modern rods it weighs an absolute ton!

I make all of my rods from blanks. It's not difficult and while it may not save you a massive amount of money you get much better value. It is also an absorbing hobby in it's own right.

I am just in the middle of making my first split cane fly rod on a Chapmans blank and judging by how it is looking it won't be the last.

I really fancy a MkIV Avon :rolleyes:

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I was once lent a hollow built split cane roach rod, a remarkable bit of kit. Unfortunately it went for what I regarded as silly money on E.Bay but I do regret not buying it. I now only have a Jap carp rod, a real gem, and several boat rods for sea fishing, all of which get used.