Wingham Fish-in Report

Steve Burke

Aha, I had a feeling that was elton.

Yeah, you probably recognised me from the Calvin Klein boxer short posters I did a couple of years back :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to Steve, Peggy, Terry and Glynn for making the fish-in at Wingham possible.

:fishing:

I'd like to report a huge Bream and/ or Tench but it was just eels for me!

I was on peg 46 which was a good chuck towards to the deep water infront of the Island. I had a few line bites then I lost a fish which I assume was a pike on Saturday afternoon (hope was a pike).

All was quite then til I made the misstake of trying to cook myself some dinner half way through I had a screaming take 24 inch of the drop on the bobbins and the baitrunner going giving line at a rate of knots. I really thought my luck had changed until I felt that fight that only an Eel can give so stinking and covered in Eel slime I finished my dinner!

I had another 3 Eels through the night before giving up with maggots or worms on the hook putting sweetcorn on both rods hoping for something other than an Eel. I was surprised how cold it got overnight I was really glad I put my thermals on, topped off with a wooley hat!

Things looked up again on Sunday morning as I saw some fish roll in my swim which raised my confindence but nothing came of it the bobbins remained motionless.

Ive nothing more to report as nothing happened over night on Sunday other than me getting a good nights sleep no bites at all even with a worm on one rod.

Thanks again for everyone that makes the Wingham fish-in possible - maybe I will get a Tench or a Bream next year :whistling:

I'm back is fishing like riding a bike? you never forget how?

Guest Brumagem Phil
Yeah, you probably recognised me from the Calvin Klein boxer short posters I did a couple of years back :D

I think you spent the weekend smoking too much of your bait! :rolleyes:

I think you spent the weekend smoking too much of your bait! :rolleyes:

Nope, he spent it blanking mainly :D :D :D

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"

I don't remember this many eels being caught last year.

It does sound like all concerned are having fun (or had fun for those who had to leave already).

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Just got back from weekend and, as usual, a huge thank you to Steve, Peggy, Terry, Glynn and anyone else involved enabling us to fish Wingham. It truely is a magical setting to fish in.

Unfortunately I couldn't match last years pb tench and is was pike and eels for me. I still can't understand how Steve has the only vegetarian pike and eels I've ever seen, boilies, sweetcorn, even fake sweetcorn were all taken !!!

Congrats to all who caught pb's (even Richard, git :D ) and I'm looking forward to next years outing already.

Some pics from my weekend :-

View from my swim (19)

0705191313.jpg

One of the eels from Saturday night (2.5lb)

0705192141.jpg

Sunrise on Sunday morning

0705200541.jpg

And last, but by no means least, a certain AN member err 'resting' after the BBQ :bigemo_harabe_net-163:

0705201527.jpg

Once again, thanks to everyone involved, roll on next year !

Ian

And last, but by no means least, a certain AN member err 'resting' after the BBQ :bigemo_harabe_net-163:

A secret part of my angling strategy.

I was saving me energy for when the perch started to feed :)

(Those bl***y sedge-warblers don't 'arf make a racket when you are trying to grab forty-winks!)

(ps notice the difference in the amount of gear I need to catch some fish, and a bit of sleep, as opposed to the gear that Elton needs to not catch any fish)

(pps top-tip: Don't waste money on a too-small unhooking mat, buy one big enough to sleep on and to shelter under when it starts to rain!)

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Leon forgot my advice about wearing camo and is fishing the margins just beyond those reeds so he wants to hide from any shy fish.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Sorry Leon, had to do it ! Amazing the sort of pictures you can take on a mobile phone these days isn't it ? :D

Ian

Richard Capper's got an amazing tale to tell - I'm not going to steal his thunder! He's bleary-eyed and he and Anderoo have packed up but haven't left for the long drive back to Oxford and so it might be tomorrow before he posts.

Poledark, Alan Campbell (Meatballs), Steve Campbell (Wyenot), John Block & Cousin Steve are staying onto the bitter end. Steve arrived exhausted about 9pm yesterday evening and has been asleep nearly all the time! He's in a swim that's got a real perch hotspot but was so tired he put fake corn on this rod instead of worm! Suffice to say he hadn't caught any perch by the time I left!

Talking of perch, Budgie's nephew, Reece, had a personal best perch of 2-06. Well done, young man!

Rob Ward has added to his 9-14 tench with others of 7-08, 8-04 & 7-12.

What is remarkable is that last year the average weight of the female tench was 6-15½. This year the average was 7-14½, despite the fish being behind in the spawning cycle due to the cold weather we've had at Wingham. What's even more remarkable is that many of these are tench that were born at Wingham - and they can't even be 11 years old yet!

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net