Anglers charged under Terrorism Laws

Leon Roskilly

Peter, thank you for finally answering my question, I put it to you because of your statement.....

quote:

Anglers can still fish, provided they go as a party, which, from a point of view of safety might be a good idea.
I usually fish alone also :rolleyes: where does that leave me? :)

John, excellent literary genre.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sanctuary:

Jim thanks for that its shows whats happening across the country to our sport bit by bit something that was once a right or free is now being removed.

I've been on about that sort of thing for ages, but divided we fall!

I think Peter Waller should organize a march!

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

There is a difference between rights or freedoms and priviledge, the latter being the case when fishing from private property.

However prescriptive rights might come into this one. Anyone know a friendly lawyer?

A march will get no one nowhere! A users group will help, form one of those & then call for a public consultation.

As an idea although you are talking a bit bigger.

A short walk from my house is a Marina. It was built about 15 years ago.

A public footpath runs along it's waters edge. there is a 'Private' Road running down to it which I myself and others have used for about 30 years to get down to a good fishing spot and bait digging spot. I should also point out that alongside the marina tower is a 'Public Slipway' which under the planning consent the development company were ordered to maintain.

A while ago after a change of 'Manager' a notice appeared "No Baitdigging"

shortly after the usual 'wheel clamping' notices were errected.

Several Anglers feel foul of this new doctrine and after discussions in the press the 'Manager' of the land, to protect his staff from Anglers imposed a complete ban on people fishing parking and visiting the area other than to use the fascilities of the Marina.

It was obvious that the Manager knew his 'rights' and was not going to negotiate at all.

The Marina entrance has lock gates to allow vessels in and out as the tide falls. In the river itself is a fairway which is natural in that it is formed by the fall from the Marina pool which is fed by several streams.

The Marina relies on its trade from visiting yachts.

A group of anglers got together with our boats and decided that every Saturday and Sunday we would hold a 'Fishing Comp' in the River.

The owner was written a letter telling him that every weekend and Bank Holiday up to forty boats would be fishing on the fairway which was a lawful right and to advise all his bookings that it would be difficult if not impossible for them to reach or leave the Marina.

I myself got in the habit of walking my dogs along the footpath at high tide and the stands when the Lock gates are usually left open.

The manager tried to make me wait on occasions as when the gates are open, the Public Footpath is not useable as it now passes across a bridge on the top of the lock gates and is only a complete walkway whilst the gates are shut.

After discussing the matter with Highways I informed the owner that it was illegal for him to prevent mne using the public footpath and as such he committed an offence of Obstructing the free passage along a higway. We decided to also have a walking comp up and down that part of the river at high tide constantly using the footpath.

Shortly after the new Manager was replaced!!!

It is worth noting that rights on footpaths etc do exist in lots of places.

I do not think it would be possible to Block the Port but I am sure, with determination you could get a group together to be a 'pain in the ass' and make your point. French Fishermen do it enough

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

Having read the posts in this thread,and on other sites,it is clear that the majority have no idea of the facts behind everything.Either they don`t understand,or they can`t be bothered to get the full story.This,however,does`nt stop them from criticising/passing judgement.A little information is a dangerous thing.

what exactly are the facts ,either the fishermen were there illegally or not ,whether the illegal part is more a "safety" aspect ...or not.

whether the illegal part is actually not illegal but something dreamed by the port under our wide ranging "terrorism" code and unenforcable...or not.

or are there other factors not mentioned.

the replies on this post reflect both sides as you can see ,therefore the correct posts are right the incorrect posts wrong and well balanced in between,perhaps you can explain more clearly using unswayed and non hearsay words and descriptions of the topic your ideal answer that we should give.

the very nature to be correct or uncorrect at the moment is a free choice the posts reflect this and are not demeaning to the anglers in question and certainly not i expect to the judge in the case so is of no concequence to any reply on here whether or not the anglers are found guilty or innocent and if they are the latter then maybe they can join in the postings with their acount of the proceedings in question

[ 14. November 2004, 08:57 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

very interesting are the letters ,the answers just as wide and varied and contradicting as the posts on here ,i see in the polices reply that the restrictions to ports are "worldwide" i cannot see the same employed in our neighbours the french ports ,lorries of **** would be their response :D

i wonder if any other ports are effected ,is dover a port or a harbour and will fishing be stopped "just in case" theres a incident on the breakwater ,folkestone next not only the harbour but the platform at the warren "just in case" etc

[ 14. November 2004, 10:17 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson