Broadband Questions

jedibond

I've been thinking about changing broadband providers recently and am honestly bewildered at the amount of new providers that are out there. Can anyone recommend a particular company ? Or, probably more importantly, which ones to stay away from !!!

I'm not after anything too flash, at the moment I've got an (up to) 8mb Orange connection, however, since they took over from Freeserve & Wanadoo their customer service has been appalling. Also, the connections not that great either as the speed varies from one extreme to the other way too much in my opinion.

As I understand it I'd have to get a MAC number from Orange before changing over to any new providers. Now obviously they aren’t going to be too happy about losing a customer so I can imagine that this process probably won’t go too smoothly. Has anyone had any experience of this and can pass on any tips ?

Cheers all

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"

When I moved home recently the previous owner, who was with Orange, had not cancelled his Orange broadband connection. As I was with BT in my previous address, I was quite happy to stay with them.

I Applied to BT broadband to get my account transferred to me new address .. and it took 11 weeks !!!

BT stated that the broadband line was locked, and could only be released by Orange. Orange tried every trick in the book to get me to sign up with them, including junk mail and phone calls to my new "unlisted" number, before I finally persuaded them to "release" the line after 10 weeks.

The Older I get .. The better I was.

The vast majority of those providers will all be selling the same basic service, which is BT Max8000, the ISPs buy this service wholesale from BT and sell it on to you. The difference between them is generally more to do with the additional services they bundle with the broadband line, and the price :)

I'd be looking at how good the telephone support is,

bundled email addresses

bundled webspace (even if you don't plan to have a website, a bit of space is handy for things like posting pictures on AN)

bundled router or modem should you need one

Total price - best way to compare is look at the total price for 12 months service, including any Installtion/ equipment/set up charges.

Once you have chosen an ISP go and look at that ISPs forum at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ and see what thier current users think of them :)

Mat

Mat

First class post Matt :thumbs:. I would recommend Demon Internet.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I've been thinking about changing broadband providers recently and am honestly bewildered at the amount of new providers that are out there. Can anyone recommend a particular company ? Or, probably more importantly, which ones to stay away from !!!

I'm not after anything too flash, at the moment I've got an (up to) 8mb Orange connection, however, since they took over from Freeserve & Wanadoo their customer service has been appalling. Also, the connections not that great either as the speed varies from one extreme to the other way too much in my opinion.

As I understand it I'd have to get a MAC number from Orange before changing over to any new providers. Now obviously they aren’t going to be too happy about losing a customer so I can imagine that this process probably won’t go too smoothly. Has anyone had any experience of this and can pass on any tips ?

Cheers all

Hi, i pay bt for the domestic phone line, then aol £9.99 per month for unlimited use broadband with no restrictions. I have no complaints. No connection problems.

off topic, how are you getting on with bt Chesters any luck yet?

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Speaking personally I kissed quite a few frogs when in the UK!! And I would immediately discount AOHELL and ORANGE. TOO BIG!! NTL as was were good but they have long gone! Then as I say AOL and WANADOO both total tripe!! And I ended up with Virgin on a day by day contract, they were noting short of brilliant. Demon have always supposedly been at the top of the pile? BUT since they took over 123.reg the service has been noting short of appalling!! Also tried BLUEYONDER, CRUD in the 'enth degree!! Our kid has VIRGIN Tv, Phone and TV and is HIGHLY delighted with them. He was with Blueyonder and hated them and says that having VIRGIN is like a breath of fresh air!

BUT have to say I have heard MORE good bout BT lately than ANYONE else, most of the comments here in France are "I wish BT were providers here" Instead we have ORANGE!!! And as they control around 85% of all broadband it is hardly surprising they are totally useless when it comes to customer service! BUT AOL are a VERY close second!!

Best of BRITISH though as I think the whole field is FULL of mines!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Demon have always supposedly been at the top of the pile? BUT since they took over 123.reg the service has been noting short of appalling!!

Pipex bought the webhosting company 123Reg. :)

If you want good customer service I can recommend IDNet.

With regards to the MAC number I had one hell of a job getting mine from my previous ISP but then thousands of others were trying to get out at the same time.

Can't remember how many years i've been with aol. Not even a sniff of a problem, funny that.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..