Kayak Prowler 13

Yakity - Yak - u.k.

Hi Folks,

Prowler 13 thoughts. I have found it easy to paddle - fast and straight - turns well enough for manouevring but is a bit slow while trolling. You can't have good straight lne stability from the keel section and turning ability - one is counteracting the other. A good couple of pulls on one paddle blade gets her going round and once she is going you can take a big sweep.

I haven't had anything more than a ripple to try out the seakeeping yet, but the fine entry and flare on the bow into the mid section has the hallmarks of a good wave riding ability - the same at the stern. Comfortable, versatile fitment for different sized people with 6 foot wells. The seat base is above the waterline with my racing snake figure within, so stays dry in that respect.

Turning around in the seat things are no as stable as I had expected. I nearly got a dunking yesterday trying to turn round to get at the cargo well - it goes very squiffy. Moving forward with feet overside is no problem - very stable then. I shall have to get used to this open cockpit moving about lark. I am used to being hemmed into a snug, closed cockpit.

OK have done a good job of thinking this one through and it certainly seems to be the benchmark by which others will be judged. As capable as anything and the Prowler 15, while faster and better able to cope with bigger seas, is probably no more practical than the 13 - she isn't giving away anything very much really.

OLLY - on the paddle front. You will be carrying your paddle ALL DAY EVERY DAY. A stiff, lightweight paddle will be of benefit over a flexible one every time - regardless of who is behind it. Having used the energy to lean on the paddle it might as well go into moving the kayak forward as bending the paddle aft - which soaks up your energy and wastes it.

DRIP RINGS are just rubber (mostly) rings with outward facing grooves. They catch water and stop 95% of it running down the paddle and up your sleeve - somehting you will become bored with after 5 minutes on the water, believe me! They cost PENCE and are worth it. Don't buy a paddle without drip rings. You will come to despise it very quickly.

Blade Shape: A touring paddle blade is the best for what we do. Don't be talked into a whitewater paddle. The general touring paddles about now are very good and they are light and efficient - excatly what you need.

As for the remote operated autopilot - I think that is operated from ashore by Mrs. YY - to ensure he is back home at the correct time. He didn't put up the picture of the electric training collar did he.. :D:D:D

Cheers all,

Simon.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Mark.

Have you made a space in the lounge for it yet.

When mine came it spent three nights in ours.

I was sat in it watching telly, with my wife throwing water over me and blowing on my brow, making wind noises :D

What colour did you go for?

Any ideas on what rigging your going to use?

Try and get some pics upif you can.

yy :)

hi yy ive gone for a yellow angler. ive also ordered a paddle and pfd. ive already got a fishfinder and rod rests so wont be to long before im out on the water hopefully getting a few bass.

Excellent stuff Mark. :)

Yes it wont be long now mate.

Weather is a bit rough here at the moment.

Lots of wind,mist,and waves.

Mark be sure to practice your re-entry drills before you venture to far :)

Which finder do you have ?

Is it a portable, or fixed model ?

The Yellow will look realy smart, good high vis colour too.

What paddle gear will you wear?

yy :)

hi yy weathers not been bad here.will be praticing re-entry and getting paddle fit for the first few outings.fishfinder is a garmin 100.i went for the yellow with visibility in mind.paddle gear so far is just a wetsuit.hope you get your yak sorted and get out for a paddle soon.

Hi Mark.

Good luck with your first outings mate.

Well worth the effort getting to know the Yak.

Gives you a good feeling too, knowing if you do take a swim, you are practiced and able to re-enter the Yak.

Thanks Mark, just waiting on the front hatch to be sorted now.

Got one or two other bits and pieces to do, but mostly ready to fish :)

I think everyone is chomping on the bit at the moment, waiting to get back in there and do some fishing:)

Im hoping these threads are going to be full of pictures and reports on fishy,sunny days on the water. :D

Thanks for the report Simon, the prowler does sound a cracking Yak. Be interesting to see how it copes in surf and rougher water. Going to be doing any beach launches in Ireland?

Your right about the drip stoppers, for something so small and cheap they make a huge difference to the enjoyment and staying warm.

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Hi All,

Just got home from a weekend at the coast(West Wales)trying out my prowler 13.

I had 3 hours out on the water on Saturday in perfect conditions, flat calm and bright sunshine.

The first thing i noticed was how easy it was to keep her going in a nice straight line considering I havn't done much kayaking for 30 years, and i wasn't having to over compensate with one stroke over the other. The only gear i had aboard were some dry clothes in a binliner shoved in the front hatch.

Stability wise I didn't know what to expect but after 5 minutes i was feeling very confident that i wasn't going to end up in the briny and went for a good long paddle out to a reef marker buoy half a mile out that i regularly fish around. Once out there i tried moving out of the seat to get to the bow hatch to see what happened when you move about but as you get further forward she becomes very tipsy and i wouldn't like to try getting the hatch cover on and off whilst on the water. Also I didn't realise how much water you would ship through the scuppers and moving forward had it pouring in.

Do you guys put bungs in the scuppers as a matter of course when afloat or just put up with water sloshing about? I don't really want all my gear floating around my feet whilst i'm fishing so i'm thinking i'll have to put bungs in.

Next i tried just moving about within the well and sitting sideways with my feet over the side and this felt very stable, even when i tried rocking her side to side to see how far she would go without tipping i don't think i was in any danger of going over without forcing her.

When in the seat i tried turning around to get to where my milk crate (a la yy)will be and this felt a little unsteady to begin with but i don't think it'll be a problem when i've got used to it, the only doubt i have is how to get the anchor over the stern. I am thinking along the lines of having the anchor rope in place over the stern with the anchor in the stern well and a length of rope with a loop in the end to run freely along the anchor rope. This short length will be tied somewhere to hand and when the anchor is lowered the main anchor rope will slide through the loop and you can feed it out to the required point, whereupon it is tied off leaving the short piece lying alongside the kayak. When you come to haul, it's just a matter of pulling on the short rope and dragging the kayak around beam on the tide and hauling without even getting out of the seat. I hope this makes sense and i realise it might be a bit dodgy in a fast tide but how many of you are dropping the hook in fast water?

On the whole i'm very happy with my prowler and i 'm hoping we get loads more days like i had saturday weatherwise so i can get back out there with the fishing tackle as well, and i would definitely recomend going out without any gear on board for the first time or two if you havn't got much experience so you can see exactly what happens when you're afloat.

sorry for going on so long, and bring on the fish!!!!!!

nifty. :)

Hi all

Back from NEC a few sit ons about no prowlers unless I missed them quite a intersting and varied show only angler version yak was a RTM tango looked a bit cramped though,managed to get kitted out: Yak L/John, rash vest and cheap Cag,got my son a RTM mambo plan to spend a bit of time in the lakes.

Thanks simon for advice on paddles got a couple of ainsworth one to start with they do seem stiff

only down side is they dont have drip rings is it possible too fit them or do they have to be done when they are made.Too many paddles for a noob to choose from and diferent opinions, will see how these go I paid £50 for mine and £30 for lads.

olly