Kayak Prowler 13

Yakity - Yak - u.k.

Hi nifty, thanks for the report.

Your first time experience sounds pretty close to my own with the Perception Freedom. Great tracking, very stable as long as you stayed put in the seat, and a fear of going near the hatches :)

After 3 summers I still never fallen in, except in the surf zone, and still never attempt to open the hatches unless I'm close to land. Might feel differently if there were other people with me but I've yet to do that.

I don't mind the wet, I just take it as part of the deal. The perceptions not to bad; lots of water around the feet but not too bad around the bum. I've actually done away with the seat because I like the extra stability losing that half inch of seat height gives; the freedoms a comfy thing anyway so the seat is not really needed..

Never tried the bungs but they seem like a good idea for when its calm.

I use a crate rather than hatches but I never really turn to look at it. All my gear is in different containers so I can do it all by touch.

I never use an anchor but it should be no problem to rig one like YY's where you have a running line so you can do it all from the normal seated position.

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nifty - how about something like this? The stainless version should last well. You place the winder where you can reach it easily. When you want to drop anchor, there is a little lever on top that releases rope. Wind in via the crank and it you stop winding, nothing slips. When you have the anchor all the way up, the holder piece is designed so the anchor sort of cocks the holder and is stored horizontal so it doesn't catch water.

I used one for some years on smaller boats and they are excellent.

Posted Image

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi Nifty.

Great write up and report.

There is a down side though.

Getting to know her 1/2 mile out to sea was not the best way to go.

As far as anchoring in fast moving water, dont do it !

Trying to open a hatch at sea is a bad idea too,

( Just my oppinion )

The very excersize of moving forward on your Yak, and feeling how unstable she became should put you off that idea:D .......I hope it does.

yy

Olly,

you could make up some drip rings by putting acouple of turns of 10mm rope around the shaft. It won't be as good as the turned out rubber ones, but will act as a bit of a dam to a good deal of the water. IF you put 2 turns round and tie off, then put another turn around over the gap between them you will have quite a high drip ring and the weight of a a foot of rope is neither here nor there - try one layer first, you can always add the second turn on top later. - You need one at each end, and put it clear of where you will hold the paddle. About 3" from where the blade joins the shaft is a good starting point.

Be out with you soon I hope on the W. Wales coast!

Simon.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Hi All,

Thanks for the concern YY about my safety on the water but if you'd ever seen me on my windsurfer you'd know i've had plenty of practice at falling in :D . Nowadays i prefer to be out of hearing range of everyone P*****g themselves laughing when i go A**e over T*t into the drink. Seriously though, one thing i did learn was that the front hatch cover is definitely staying in place when i'm on the sea.

My main aim at the moment is to sort out how i keep my fishing gear out of the water swilling around the seat well. I am going to go along with Jaffas method and i have my prototype crate made up and ready to go, just got to make up a leash to fix to the rod to stop it dissappearing. All my bits and bobs are going in ice cream tubs that sit nicely in the crate now after a bit of work with the hacksaw.

Thanks Newt for the info on the Anchormate, it certainly looks the business and could be the way to go if my method doesn't work out as i hope.

Cheers nifty.

"Nowadays i prefer to be out of hearing range of everyone P*****g themselves laughing when i go A**e over T*t into the drink."

Hehehe wait till you come back in through the surf :) , i'ts still something i've yet to master but it does raise a few laughs on a well packed beach, just make sure everythings secure

Photo Gallery

If life is one big joke, I just dont get it.

Sunrise Caper

Sunrise Venus

Sky Blue Prowler 15

Hi Nifty,

:D Glad you enjoyed your paddle.

Sounds like you have the crate sorted out, good job.

Re the anchor system, Ive used a pulley system on the "Mistress", it works very well, giving you the option of where the anchor sits in relation to the Yak, and the position you want to achieve.

The pic might give you an idea.

Posted Image

Pully either end of Kayak, x2 gator clips, one bull ring.

Hi Prowler,

Coming in on the surf and keeping the rods safe.

I tend to stand up,with a rod in each hand,and surf the Yak in, holding the paddle between my teeth for safe keeping,and balance.

There are more difficult ways to surf in, but this is by far the easiest.

After a little practice, it becomes seconed nature.

Best to remove your hat while doing this,people only laugh at you if it falls in ther water.

Some peoples sense of humour stinks........dont you think :D:D:P