The Joy of the Centrepin

rarepleasures

Just back from a week at Woodlakes.

I'll be posting a number of topics as a result over the next week.

Heres the first...

I took with me

2 x Wychwood TeleCarp 2.75tc + Wychwood Rogue Freespin 60

1 Leeda Medium Feeder Rod + Shimano KX

1 Leeda Assasin II Float Rod + Shakespeare Lincoln centrepin.

Which do you suppose saw the most action this week ?

the float + centrepin !

If the Lincoln is anything to go by, my god if you haven't fished with a centrepin you have not lived.

The immediacy of it, paying a little line out, taking a little back, steering the fish your way...

My biggest catch of the week fell to the centre pin - a low double figure carp from the margins at dusk, it was only an 10 minute battle but my heart was in my mouth the whole time.

Tony

Edited by rarepleasures

Tony

my god if you haven't fished with a centrepin you have not lived.

...ssshhhhhhhhhh, or everybody will want one, Ebay prices are bad enough now. ;)

I'm genuinely interested in this - I bought my first pin last winter and I've used it a lot for trotting on rivers but I've never felt like using it for anything else. I enjoy playing fish on the pin but on a river there's only so much line to retreive. Surely with a decent carp or tench it must take ages to take back line?

Are there any real advantages in using a pin for this kind of fishing? Aside from excitement!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Are there any real advantages in using a pin for this kind of fishing? Aside from excitement!

Hard to put it in words, but I find I get a much better "feel" when using the pin, and can generally play a fish while giving a lot less line than I tend to using a fixed spool and a mechanical clutch. I'm a lot more confident fishing to features like lillys using a 'pin

And don't downplay the exitement factor - a double figure carp on an Avon type rod and a pin hooked close in is ten times more fun that one hooked at 70 yards on a 2.5lb TC broomstick and baitrunner :)

Mat

Mat

I'm genuinely interested in this - I bought my first pin last winter and I've used it a lot for trotting on rivers but I've never felt like using it for anything else. I enjoy playing fish on the pin but on a river there's only so much line to retreive. Surely with a decent carp or tench it must take ages to take back line?

Hi Anderloo, Well what a coincidence!! Like yourself I have only used my pin`s for trotting; until yesterday, Took the wife to a well known local complex of lakes and found that much of the lake I intended to fish was reserved for "night" anglers so opted to fish between two lakes. set up with straight waggler matched to 6lb main line and 4lb hooklength, same set up as the wife and fed heavily hemp and corn after a slow start coupled with the occasional re-tackling of the wife ( wind reeds and women dont go well together!) I decided to put up another rod matched to my pin 6lb line straight thru to a hair rigged haiibut pellet to dangle in the adjoining lake: zit!! nothing so returned to my "real" swim and continued with the waggler and started to get bream quite regularly but the wind had got up and I struggled for the correct presentation and almost in despair picked up the pin rod slid the float up to around 9 foot anf flopped the gear out and continued to feed between the reeds on the left and right of me and fished no more than a rod length out and started to "bag up on the bream all around 3lb with three over 5lb and interupted by a 23lb 12oz mirror that went like s**t on my tackle, I honestly did not think a rod could bend so much!!

On reflection I think the "method" was similar to fishing a pole in that it was precise and allowed accurate feeding and presentation and the carp was the icing on the cake. I will certainly not restrict my pin to two trips a year on the rivers in future. :D:D

Edited by KAYC

Surely with a decent carp or tench it must take ages to take back line?

My experience was it depended on how much you gave them, you're not deligating that to the clutch, so second to second it changes how much you you pay out / draw back.

I'm not sure what the issue is with it 'taking ages to take line back'. I'm not going for a hauling speed record, I just need to turn it, keep it the right direction and play the fish out.

Tony

Tony

The Joy of the Centrepin

yup remember the last time i used it and the thrill of taking my dads 2lb hammer to it the day i got my first fixed spool :D never gone back

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I love stalking carp with my 8ft stalking rod and centre pin. I use the 'lift' method and trout-pellet paste. Easy and fun.

;)