Anger At Rising Cost Of Concessionary Rod Licences

Elton

I do tend to come down on the side of those who argue "those who use it should pay for it" I dont expect to pay for some one to go and watch football or go to the opera etc so dont ezpect them to pay for my fishing.

Trouble is, certainly in the case of opera, you do pay. If I remember rightly, the amount of money the government was putting into "grass roots football", whatever that is, was more than the amount it collected from anglers. We are the only people being asked to pay our own way, and frankly that stinks. Additionally, by and large, we do not require anything beyond the maintenance of a healthy aquatic environment. In other words, the work of the EA's fisheries division ought to be done whether there are anglers to benefit or not. In the same way that bird watchers should not be expected to fund the care of the natural environment which facilitates their hobby, I do not think that we ought to be responsible for the care a side effect of which is improving our sport. So if the primary work of the EA was installing facilities specifically for anglers (dunno, toilets? hard landscaped pegs?) I could see that anglers alone should pay for it. When the work is largely to do with the maintenance of a healthy environment, I think everyone benefits and everyone should pay. Plus, it's a tiny amount of money in the grand scheme of things. Looking at the deductions on my payslip every month it seems ludicrous that the government then says "ah, but that pays for everything else, we need an extra 25 quid a year from you to pay for your fishing".

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok of course i'm sorry you klienboet and other have health problems but that still doesn't answer my question.........................why should i pay more than you to fish?

I nearly wrote "because you can afford to" but that isnt quite right! More the point is that those who are on reduced incomes due to circumstances beyond their control shouldnt pay as much because they "can't afford it" ! Im really not splitting hairs its just the way I see it.

Surely most anglers who have a reasonable income don't/wouldn't begrudge subsidising another fellow anglers sport?surely the only other person in the world who can understand some ones disire to be able to fish is another angler?

Would any of you really want to see another angler excluded because of misfortune? surely not?

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Concessions also help increase revenue, At speedway there is the entrance fee £12, concessions £8, juniors £4, Kids under 11 free, now if we didn't give concessions our gates would be down, and doing kids under 11 free means that mum's and dad's can still come to Speedway and not cost an arm and a leg to bring the family, without these concessions a lot of these people wouldn't come, same thing with the fishing license, A lot of Oaps would probably not buy a license, they must have done there homework and decide the giving of concessions brings in extra revenue ( nobody gives anything away for nothing )

Alan

I must be doing something right, I'm still alive

Depression is not classed as a disability

I guarantee you that it is. It is responsible for more time off work than even the imfamous "bad back".

There's an entire section of the IB85 (Incapacity Benefit) medical report dedicated to it and if it's sufficiently severe, people can and do get DLA because of it.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

:rolleyes: sadly i think we all watch too much tv nowadays,and far to many sensationalized documentories,

you know the things...all kids are on drugs and are vandals,

police dont do crime just speeding tickets,

everyone who wears a hoody is a mugger,

everyone who claims a benifit is a scrounger,

every single kosoven is sent to this country to seek out large carp and instantly cook them,

i assume your idea of an entitled disabled person would be somone with a clearly visable disability a jibbering garga wreck with no arms or legs in a wheelchair with a rod sticking out of his mouth ??

or maybe a guy ( as above ) pushing a tackle barrow who moans a lot and is grumpy....and recently been told he has possibly a year to live due to severe bowl cancer.

life is far too complicated without the added burden of worrying about who is getting a concession,i would imagine they get a tidy tax relief from the goverment for doing it anyway?

its more about getting out there in the fresh air and relaxing whenever possible.