Anger At Rising Cost Of Concessionary Rod Licences

Elton

As we don't have fishing license up here I have no personal axe to grind. I am literally disabled, following 5 spinal surgeries but I am not registered in any way and I am not receiving any type of benefit, so I would not qualify for any concessions.

My disability does mean that I am unable to fish probably 90% of the wild fishing available up here. That is just a fact of life I am afraid, and I don't see why someone else should have to make any concessions because of it. I have found a part of the sport that suits my disability (fly fishing from a float tube) and I am lucky enough to be able to enjoy that. I still enjoy deadbaiting for Pike in a couple of Lochs were I can park close enough to the swims to get all of the gear down but if it happens that I can't do that anymore then I will have to accept that, in the same way that I have had to accept the fact I can't play rugby anymore, and that I am no longer attractive to 20 year old "babes"

Find something within your ability and enjoy it. When you get to my age the saying "life is too short" takes on a particular significance :D

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The trouble is though Budgie, there's still no logic in that argument. Private gyms don't offer reduced prices to those on low incomes, premier football teams don't do it and major supermarkets don't do it either. Why expect public bodies like the EA to do it ?

In effect, your saying that so long as you choose a form of recriation that's controlled by a public body, you should get a discount but you should pay full price if you happen to be into something that isn't.

Yes Ken but you DONT HAVE TO (by law) buy a licence to go and pay to use private gyms, pay to watch premier football teams or buy something from a supermarket! If you did then I would argue that concessions for those on a low income through circumstances beyond their control should!

I can also choose (If I so wish) to go to a gym that I can afford or watch a team that does give concessions or buy only what has been reduced.I cant do this if I want to go fishing as even though I have a choice of day ticket be it to have or not or one that I can afford or club that does offer a concession or simply to fish somewhere Ive been invited to for free I cant legaly without the COMPULSORY rod licence.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Yes Ken but you DONT HAVE TO (by law) buy a licence to go and pay to use private gyms, pay to watch premier football teams or buy something from a supermarket! If you did then I would argue that concessions for those on a low income through circumstances beyond their control should!

Perhaps watching television would have been a better analogy. I just didn't use it because the TV licence is in fact a national tax on anybody with just about any box of electronic in the house.

In the context of benefits recipients (rather than those on low earnings because they don't get a discount on their EA licences), Don't you think it would be better to do away with the extra layer of costly beurocracy that's invonved in the issue of concessionary licences and just give people a little extra to live on that they can spend on fishing, gym membership or whatever turms else turns them on ?

BTW, I'd get rid of the TV licence as well and fund it from primary taxation.

Local government charges would probably go the same way in Ken world but I admit to not knowing enough about local authority finances to be able to formulate a contreate opinion.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Guest tigger
The trouble is though Budgie, there's still no logic in that argument. Private gyms don't offer reduced prices to those on low incomes, premier football teams don't do it and major supermarkets don't do it either. Why expect public bodies like the EA to do it ?

In effect, your saying that so long as you choose a form of recriation that's controlled by a public body, you should get a discount but you should pay full price if you happen to be into something that isn't.

Why not get a discount?

If somebodys quality of life (be it though lack of money or incapacity) is lower than the average persons why not give them a discount so they can have a little bit of enjoyment in life?

All the private gyms I know do give discount for unemployed/ students and OAP's. If more organisations did it I'm sure it would improve their public relations and encourage more people to take up sports etc.

Perhaps watching television would have been a better analogy. I just didn't use it because the TV licence is in fact a national tax on anybody with just about any box of electronic in the house.

In the context of benefits recipients (rather than those on low earnings because they don't get a discount on their EA licences), fon't you think it would be better to do away with the extra layer of costly burocracy that's invonved in the issue of concessionary licences and just give people a little extra to live on that they can spend on fishing, gym membership or whatever turms else turns them on ?

BTW, I'd get rid of the TV licence as well and fund it from primary taxation.

Local government charges would probably go the same way in Ken world but I admit to not knowing enough about local authority finances to be able to formulate a contreate opinion.

Ah yes that analagy does make more sense Ken...unless I counter argue that you have to buy a TV licence even if you dont want to watch BBC and just pay for SKY!

No seriously though mate I dont know what the answer is.No one likes to think that money is going to scroungers and this will always be the problem ie any system will be abused by people of low morals.Im sure if all the money that went out unecessarily from our taxs was stopped then there would be more available to sort out all of the worlds problems.Be this "stolen" money or simply money wasted by the people we elect and pay to organise and run the every day "admin" of our society.

Deciding who is "entitled" to handouts/concessions is obviously difficult (well for the people entrusted to do it) but I cry at the wasted money and resources I see every day while struggling to juggle my own finnances.Im a "Taker" now and my hand is firmly out despite not enjoying the ilogical sense of guilt it brings.But out never the less as for the rest of my life Ive definately been a "giver".I paid my taxs and done my duty for the country gladly (kind of like paying into an insurance scheme) not only paying my way but helping support others less fortunate just on the off chance that one day I would need a bit of support....sadly it seems that now in deed that I do need it Im being short changed.And the saddest thing is that despite my own situation I expect many,many others are in a similar if not worse one.

In general I swallow my frustration (and at times bitterness) but when it seems people are actually be grudging me something that the system has always told me is my right I cant stop this surfacing!

In the context of benefits recipients (rather than those on low earnings because they don't get a discount on their EA licences), fon't you think it would be better to do away with the extra layer of costly burocracy that's invonved in the issue of concessionary licences and just give people a little extra to live on that they can spend on fishing, gym membership or whatever turms else turns them on ?

That would make more sense.

Alternately, perhaps we could properly fund the EA's fisheries activities out of general taxation and abolish the whole licensing scheme.

(I understand and accept the realpolitik arguments about why direct funding is better, but there's no doubt in my mind that funding from general taxation would be both fairer and more efficient)

Alternately, perhaps we could properly fund the EA's fisheries activities out of general taxation and abolish the whole licensing scheme.

Its so difficult this whole issue isnt it.

I do tend to come down on the side of those who argue "those who use it should pay for it" I dont expect to pay for some one to go and watch football or go to the opera etc so dont ezpect them to pay for my fishing.

Any activity should be self funding in my eyes.Yes its fellow anglers I hope will "subsidise" my concessionary licence not just everyone else.

We used to/ do that in every angling club/syndicate that Ive ever run ie the fees would be worked out to enable us to pay for the water and it and the clubs/syndicates running whilst still allowing us the financial lee way to give reduced/free memberships to long term members who could no longer afford the full price or juniors etc.

When you lot find this world where everything is fair, taxation will be able to pay for all needs, and the systems don't get abused, will you PM me, 'cos I quite fancy living there myself. :)

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

When you lot find this world where everything is fair, taxation will be able to pay for all needs, and the systems don't get abused, will you PM me, 'cos I quite fancy living there myself. :)

John.

Yes indeed "Ken World" sounds good to me as well! Trouble is there is always and always will be one thing that will screw up any ideal society/system and thats the poeople who are in it!

Budgie you are coming up with good replies.

Unfortunately they won't buy not having a TV licence. Many years ago (about 1968/9) I tried it . I brought the inspector into my flat and showed him my TV which was set and locked on ONE channel which was the one I received my Sky from. I got the usual "Ah but Sky show BBC" - my reply was "Yes and Sky paid for it!" so I didn't pay for a licence for three months!! I then received a letter from the Post and Telegraph Department, taking great delight in telling me that ANY TV (whether they can pick up BBC or not!) would be liable for a licence!

To all of you complaining, here's a little story for you:

I used to belong to a disabled angling club in Gloucester. At our Christmas dinner a few years ago, the co-founder stood up and made the astonishing revelation " I was part of setting this club up, and it wasn't until I had a stroke and became disabled myself, that I realised I didn't have a clue what I was talking about!)..............It took about 10 minutes for the applause to die down!

If you are not disabled, you haven't got a clue! We disabled just HAVE to get on with life!

What we DON'T need is flak from people who just don't know!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription