CHEAP CENTREPIN REELS

Houghton

There's no account for bad taste :rolleyes: , only jokin, if you like them they obviously work for you.

We tried out a few different Pins and the Okuma just needed more to get it going. The Stanton, Bob james, Purist and the Richard Carter all released line no probs with a small stick float of 2 BB's but the okuma Sheffield needed a little help to start spinning. I know you could say the Okumas are cheap but you can get a Stanton or Youngs on ebay for around the same cash and as I said you can recoup your cash if you decide to sell it.

I own a Free Spirit Searcher, a Lewtham Leeds and an Okuma Aventa Pro. Of the 3, the Okuma is by far and away the best performing of the reels and tends to get used particularly when there's very little flow. It simply requires far less inertia to function.

I won the Leeds, and rarely if ever use it, as it's rather like a cart horse trying to compete in a classic flat race and gets used on still waters when fishing under the tip. The Searcher is heavy, chunky although reasonably free running and best used for margin 'hit and hold' tactics.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter - that Latham's link is the one that prompted me to join the Lathams affiliate scheme, as it's getting clicked a lot. Any chance I can add my affiliate tracking code to it? ;)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

We tried out a few different Pins and the Okuma just needed more to get it going.

I've only ever used my Okuma. Assuming equal friction in the bearings, a pin with a heavier spool (or rather, a spool with a larger moment of inertia) will be harder to get going but will spin for longer. These other reels, are their spools lighter or of smaller diameter than the Okuma?

(Moment of inertia for a centrepin spool will be roughly proportional to the weight x the square of the radius of the spool)

I've only ever used my Okuma. Assuming equal friction in the bearings, a pin with a heavier spool (or rather, a spool with a larger moment of inertia) will be harder to get going but will spin for longer. These other reels, are their spools lighter or of smaller diameter than the Okuma?

(Moment of inertia for a centrepin spool will be roughly proportional to the weight x the square of the radius of the spool)

The diameter of the reels were the same (4 1/2 inch) but not having weighed the spools I would say their spools are lighter than the Okuma.

Peter - that Latham's link is the one that prompted me to join the Lathams affiliate scheme, as it's getting clicked a lot. Any chance I can add my affiliate tracking code to it? ;)

Of course you can, silly not to.

Houghton, this is an excerpt from an article that I wrote on another web site about using a pin for long trotting.

For anyone who is thinking of buying a centre pin for the first time for Trotting:

When you choose a centrepin for the first time for long trotting; remember that the weight of the spool is more important than the length of time it spins freely when you flick it with your finger, this may sound strange but with a heavier spool there is inertia to overcome before it starts to spin; you can start it going yourself but then it may spin too fast for a few seconds. And when the float slows in a slower current or your hook drags on the bottom for a few seconds the heavier spool carries on turning at the faster speed for a few moments as it slows down and your line will be developing slack bows for a few seconds. But with a light spool the initial inertia is hardly noticeable and if your float enters a slower current or your hook drags on the bottom the spool will slow with it. So your control will be that much better. So for trotting; don't choose one because it spins forever, choose a fairly free spinning reel which has a light spool.

I do however occasionally use centrepins with a heavier spool for close in still water fishing or when ledgering for Barbel.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I've been reading these centrepin threads over the last few months, and have come to the conclusion that I must have been doing it wrong for the last 45yrs. :rolleyes:

When I use my 'pin I rarely allow the current to take line freely off the spool, (the flow in some swims, and some floats I use are too light anyway).

My thumb controls the reel at all times, gently releasing line when needed, or stopping, slowing down, or retrieving line to keep in touch with the float.

I like my Match Aerial, because it has a screw drag, (which is now working perfectly thanks to Jiqotai :thumbs: ). I don't want it to keep spinning, so I adjust the drag to suit the flow, and the float I'm using, as well as using my thumb.

I keep reading how some swims don't have enough flow to use a 'pin. Rubbish! You can use a 'pin in the slowest of rivers, so long as you use your thumb to control the flow of line.

There's a lot of unnecessary stuff written about the use of centrepins, and I think it frightens some people off.

I use mine a lot, I have never mastered the 'Wallis Cast', never found the need to.

I have legered with the pin, fished the waggler halfway across rivers with it, if fact the only time I have struggled, is when I need to fish at distance, or a strong wind's blowing the wrong way (then my 501 comes into play).

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

My thumb controls the reel at all times, gently releasing line when needed, or stopping, slowing down, or retrieving line to keep in touch with the float.

I like my Match Aerial, because it has a screw drag, (which is now working perfectly thanks to Jigotai ). I don't want it to keep spinning, so I adjust the drag to suit the flow, and the float I'm using, as well as using my thumb.

Yes Gozzer thats how I use a pin, although I sometimes find that the fish want a bait moving at the speed of the flow (or as near as I can get it), and in that case I don't use the screw drag at all, and I just get the flow to pull line off the spool and use my thumb as a break when needed, thats why timing the length of time it spins for is not a true test (on its own) of how good a pin is for trotting, and why I believe that the lightness of the spool is more important.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Houghton, this is an excerpt from an article that I wrote on another web site about using a pin for long trotting.For anyone who is thinking of buying a centre pin for the first time for Trotting:When you choose a centrepin for the first time for long trotting; remember that the weight of the spool is more important than the length of time it spins freely when you flick it with your finger, this may sound strange but with a heavier spool there is inertia to overcome before it starts to spin; you can start it going yourself but then it may spin too fast for a few seconds. And when the float slows in a slower current or your hook drags on the bottom for a few seconds the heavier spool carries on turning at the faster speed for a few moments as it slows down and your line will be developing slack bows for a few seconds. But with a light spool the initial inertia is hardly noticeable and if your float enters a slower current or your hook drags on the bottom the spool will slow with it. So your control will be that much better. So for trotting; don't choose one because it spins forever, choose a fairly free spinning reel which has a light spool.I do however occasionally use centrepins with a heavier spool for close in still water fishing or when ledgering for Barbel.
Got to agree with that.All the spinning of pins and "cooing" over the length of time they carry on for in tackle shops makes me laugh.
I've been reading these centrepin threads over the last few months, and have come to the conclusion that I must have been doing it wrong for the last 45yrs. :rolleyes: When I use my 'pin I rarely allow the current to take line freely off the spool, (the flow in some swims, and some floats I use are too light anyway). My thumb controls the reel at all times, gently releasing line when needed, or stopping, slowing down, or retrieving line to keep in touch with the float. I like my Match Aerial, because it has a screw drag, (which is now working perfectly thanks to Jigotai :thumbs: ). I don't want it to keep spinning, so I adjust the drag to suit the flow, and the float I'm using, as well as using my thumb. I keep reading how some swims don't have enough flow to use a 'pin. Rubbish! You can use a 'pin in the slowest of rivers, so long as you use your thumb to control the flow of line. There's a lot of unnecessary stuff written about the use of centrepins, and I think it frightens some people off. I use mine a lot, I have never mastered the 'Wallis Cast', never found the need to. I have legered with the pin, fished the waggler halfway across rivers with it, if fact the only time I have struggled, is when I need to fish at distance, or a strong wind's blowing the wrong way (then my 501 comes into play). John.
And this as well!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Got to agree with that.All the spinning of pins and "cooing" over the length of time they carry on for in tackle shops makes me laugh.And this as well!

Aye, but it's an all other things being equal thing, isn't it? If two pins have the same moment of inertia, the one that spins longer is the better one, because it has less friction in the bearing. If two pins have equal friction in the bearings, the one that spins longer is the worse one, because it has a larger moment of inertia.

I will admit, though, there is something hypnotic about spinning a centrepin :lol: