Your Most Enjoyable or Memorable Trip of 2004

Gillies

Best single moment for me has to be catching my first, and only, skate on a light rod. Thanks Davy :)

Best trip has to be camping for a few days up near Lochaline with SandTiger, Crusty, Norrie, Spur-Hound and Rab, trying to catch a skate from the shore. A good laugh, and while we didn't get one, Lee did have one on for a while. Love to do it agian next year. Thanks to our 'taxi driver' ...oh that'll be Davy again

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every summer I make a trip to Scotland to get away from the overcrowding down here in the south east. Although down here I am a Coarse Match Fisherman when I get over the border I turn into a totaly different angler. This year I had two targets. Firstly some hill loch trout from altitude and secondly a sea trout from the sea.

We arrived for our first weeks holiday near Ullapool at about 4 in the afternoon (after leaving kent at 8 the previous evening). After an hour I couldnt' wait any longer and had my walking boots on and was on my way up the mountain behind the cottage. After an hour and a half I was at some considerable altitude and looking at a lovely small loch in front of me and behind a view out ovewr the Summer Isles. I couldnt see anything man made anywhere not so much as a stalkers path, the sun was shining and even the midges were having a kip. The scene was perfect and a couple of perfect little trout came my way though I spent more time drinking in the atmosphere than fishing.

The second week saw us down in Argyll. there was so much rain this week that the sea turned the colour of tea in the loch near the cottage (week of the mud slids on the A9). Up each morning at 5am on with the waterproofs and off after the Sea Trout. There are plenty that show in the spot I was targeting but the weed and strong currents make it hard . For the first two mornings I cought a lot of weed and lost two (weed masking hooks?). On the fourth morning the rain/hail was so bad I couldnt see at times it then stoped and I tried a surface lure in the flat calm. Bang ten leaps many runs and a lot of pulling later and I had a sea trout just short of 5 pounds.

These two sessions were the best of the year, I win my fair share of matches and regulary put 20, 40,60 or 80 pounds of fish in the net but nothing gave me as much enjoyment as those few sessions with only the wildlife for company.

Lots of good trips this year, met new people, travelled to interesting places, learned many new things. Lots of pleaseant memories. Most memorable actual trip was in May, I took my mate from work out with his son. He'd had a bit of a rough time at school and I was anxious to give him a good day. I couldn't have given him a better one - he caught some very nice bream, loads of dogs, and topped it with a tope of 18lbs and a ray that must have been around 10lbs. My mate caught a few nice bream - and the odd thing is, I can't remember what I caught at all. It was just a fabulous day, everything went right, and the lad was beaming from ear to ear. That's what made it the most memorable trip for 2004.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

Davy Holt:

Hiya,

Most memorable trip ???... just about every one I did this year :):)

Fishing wise it would have to be the weekend with Norm B. Sandtiger, Spasor & Norrie.. that was fun with 26 skate to 195lb in 2 days :)

:cool: Glad about that Davy because mine has to be a toss up between that week end and the week in Costa Rica, CR probably wins by a whisker because it was a week and not a week end but both as enjoyable as each other in their own way and not just because of the fish caught. :D

Plenty of nudist beaches around our way, often we see naked bodies walking and laying around in the summer. But one trip i can't forget, is while Carol and I were fishing one of our favourite summer venues this beautifully young lady, at a guess i would say 17 appeared from no-where and asked us for a light, i obliged. Then for about 15 minutes she stood there completely starkers talking to Carol, i couldn't believe it, i was a nervous wreak, but with Carol my wife there, all i could do was, like the gentleman i am, carry on fishing, and trying my best to stop looking too hard.

Never caught a fish all day.

Hiya,

been thinking about this one all day :)

I know I said the "Ton of Fun" weekend was probably the best, but the more I think about it the more magic memories I remember.. things seeing people catching their first skate.. Shaun, Paul, Lee and the other guy's from IAC. Watching Shaun's face when he hit the conger take and the conger hit back :D Seeing my dad break our boat record Conger .. yet again with his biggest ever at 40lb.. watching Minke whales feeding yards away from the boat. feeding the sea Eagles.... these are just some of the magical moments I've been privileged to see this year

Also I've met some cracking characters over the year and look forward to seeing them again and meeting more :)

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Best trips? Most memorable moment?

There`s too many.

Of course the best result was up with Davy. Along with Sandtiger, Norrie and Norm. Great weeknd which also included one of the moments of the year? Norman B, standing up in the social to declare,"No,lads. It`s MY round". :D:D

But the weekend at Lymington, bassing was good. Finally putting faces to names. Even if, the best bass of the year, turned into a tope just before it broke the surface!! :mad:

I`m just looking forward to next year. All those Anglersnet trips!!

Paul. frosty frosty

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Best trip was (like a few others) the day I got my first ever Bass. It was at Torness. It wasn't a monster but very nice to catch. Got it within 5 minutes of starting and went on get around a dozen. They were all smaller than 1.5lb and they all lived to fight another day. :)

2nd best trip would have to be my first ever Turbot. Caught 2 at Belhaven. Again they were small and went back. I was expecting Flounder so they were a nice surprise :)

[ 20. December 2004, 11:46 PM: Message edited by: 101_North ]