Fred J. Taylor M.B.E.

Bluey

Ive held back from replying to this one as Ive got conflicting veiws on it.

F J Taylor was one of the most influencial angling writers of my time,well to me anyway.Even though I feel that he deserves some recognition for his "services to angling" I dont think that MBE's and the likes are worth a toss.Mainly down to the way their recipients are chosen.I would be quite offended if I had truely done something of merit over a long period of time to be listed with some of the total nobodies/done nothings that do recieve these awards.

Sorry but seen to many wasters recieve them for doing bugger all whilst I was in the forces.

Anyway I would have thought the best form of recognition would be from your peers? not people who often not only dont know you but dont have a clue about the "feild" you are being rewarded for your contribution/service to.

So in a oner "A load of old ****s!" :rolleyes:

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway I would have thought the best form of recognition would be from your peers?

I know exactly what you mean Budgie, but the fact that there are so many undeserving recipients out there doesn't detract from the fact that Fred J DOES deserve it.

In fact, doubly so, because recognition is rarely given in such an "unfashionable" (to the establishment) field as coarse fishing.

...but in any case, Fred has already provided his own recognition - just pick up any one of his books.......

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

When Kylie also receives a gong it shows how truly irrelevant they are!

Well done anyway Fred!

As a 'non academic' angler, and one who is likely to be tutted for saying this, i dont actually know who FJT is. I am sure he is a fabulous ambassador for our beloved pastime and fully deserving of his recognistion. I guess this is why I have to disagree with Jeepster and some others about this and perhaps add a little balance to the argument.

Some would argue that Kylie handled her breast cancer with dignity and acted as inspiration to thousands of others who suffer from this plight. Whilst not a pop music fan as such prefering less mainstream artists, I have seen kylie develop from a musical joke to one of pop princess over 20 years. She has done this whilst never swearing in her songs or during interviews, never taking drugs, never getting pi&&ed on stage and providing wholesome entertainment to millions across the world - I have no problems with my daughters listening to her and using her as a role model. Can I say that about those talentless X factor fodder or the stoned Amy Winehouse.

Can this FJTaylor be compared to Kylie when all he has done is sit on a bankside with a rod in his hands catching fish, without breast cancer and providing entertainment to only a few thousand UK anglers?

I am being a little antagonistic on purpose purely to make a point. I love angling and am sure FJT derserves his accolade. Hitherto I hadnt heard of him but will certainly be looking him up in future and would welcome some folks advising me of his literature. I also think that to many others Kylie, or indeed many of the other recipients of the honours deserve their plaudits as they have all been true and credible ambassadors of their own particular field and this is surely the point. Furthermore, I dislike Parkinson with a passion as I see him as a pointless interviewer, who has a priviledged position yet all he ever seemed to have done is invite his purile celebrity friends and talk about stuff which I dont particularly care about - and he was Knighted! But millions of UK adults watched him every year for what seems like eons.

Hey, one mans meat is anothers poison and all that.

Can this FJTaylor be compared to Kylie when all he has done is sit on a bankside with a rod in his hands catching fish, without breast cancer and providing entertainment to only a few thousand UK anglers?

Perhaps if you are going to be antognistic about these things you should first look into the history of your subject. It can hardly be said that all FJT has done is sit on his back side fishing. Just ask the numerous charities and disadvantaged kids he has helped. Look at the books he has written to encourage people to go fishing. Look at the advice he gave kids in the columns he wrote specifically for them. Look at the sausage sizzle and sheep roast events he organised for Angling Projects at which he did the cooking. His award is for services to angling. Just do a little bit of home work mate! If you think that Kylie Minogue deserves an OBE for services to music, (and that is why she got it) you would probably think that Hitler should have been Knighted for what he did for Jews!

Edited by chevin

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

Perhaps if you are going to be antognistic aboput these things you should first look into the history of your subject. It can hardly be said that all FJT has done is sit on his back side fishing. Just ask the numerous of charities and disadvantaged kids he has helped. Look at the books he has written to encourage people to go fishing. Look at the advice he gave kids in the columns he wrote specifically for them. Look at the sausage sizzle events he organised at which he did the cooking. Just do a little bit of home work mate! If you think that Kyle Minogue deserves an OBE for services to music, (and that is why she got it) you would probably think that Hitler should have been knighted for what he did for Jews!

You are missing my point Chevin. Couldnt you tell I was being ironic when I said that was all he has done? But, ill get to that in a second. Why are you so defensive and using the word 'mate' at the end of the sentence in a patronising manner where you clearly didnt mean it? I was not having a go at anyone, nor Mr Taylor personally - I am sure he is a great asset to our dear sport. I dont attack people for whom I have no knowledge, merely adding a balance to an argument which others had started, in a friendly way - devils advocate if you like. These emotive discussions are alway best in person over a pint where the correct point can be put across without misunderstanding so i'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you werent being aggressive in your tone and i'll try and be as clear as I can, with what is only my opinion; take it or leave it, most wont give a hoot.

Anyway, back to my point. I accept your statements about his lifes work and the fact that I should have done my homework. You will have seen from my post if you had read it that I said that I didnt know anything about him nor claimed so but that I was looking forward (even more so now) to reading some of his work. All I am suggesting is that these 'awards' can and are seen subjectively by most who read about them. I didnt want this to be Kylie focused but as it seems to have stemmed from her then we'll use her for arguments sake. She can and will be seen as a women who has portrayed herself with dignity, decorum and good humour over 20 years or so never letting herself or her fans down with poor behaviour personally or in the the public eye. She has suffered cancer and has been an inspiration to millions. She has launched a sucessful business and clothing line and all as I said, without letting herself or fans down, ala Amy Winehouse. She has also sung a few catchy tunes. I'm not her number one fan, dont care too much for her music either, but I respect what he has done and in the way she has done it.

I also think your reference to Hitler is a bit close to the wire and in poor taste, by the way, and totally out of context for what was supposed to be a friendly exchange of views and probably not called for in the scheme of things.

So does Kylie derserve the award, in her own way probably, does Taylor deserve it, by the sounds of it definately, does Parky derserve it, in my eyes no but in others for whom he has given great pleasure, probably. I agree with some and not with others - makes no difference as it doesnt affect me, just good fuel for stimulating, balanced forums such as this.

Happy New Year. :)

Edited by RPM

I grew up reading about Freds angling & countryside antics. Along with the stories about his brother plus other assorted angling friends. Those friends reads like a who's who of angling.

I for one am glad he received the award. Well done and well deserved. Should have received the award years ago.

There are a few other anglers ( inc one or two who use this forum )who have done a lot for angling together with conservation who also deserve a mention . . perhaps in the birthday honours.

Andrew Boyd

I'm very pleased that Fred J has received a gong, Chevin has already stated the good Fred has accomplished in his lifetime, so no need for me to repeat it. However, just as a little extra, Pikers owe the original development of deadbaiting to him & he was using sweetcorn 10 yrs before it was the secret Carp bait that was catching loads of fish. He publicised it as well, but oddly it didn't catch on straight away. Dick Walker attracted people of a high calibre around him, & Fred was undoubtedly one of those.

Mind I can see Jeepsters point, a bloody spin doctor got a gong as well :angry: which somewhat devalues it, which is a great shame when people out there like Fred deserve an accolade.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

You are missing my point Chevin. Couldnt you tell I was being ironic when I said that was all he has done? But, ill get to that in a second. Why are you so defensive and using the word 'mate' at the end of the sentence in a patronising manner where you clearly didnt mean it? I was not having a go at anyone, nor Mr Taylor personally - I am sure he is a great asset to our dear sport. I dont attack people for whom I have no knowledge, merely adding a balance to an argument which others had started, in a friendly way - devils advocate if you like. These emotive discussions are alway best in person over a pint where the correct point can be put across without misunderstanding so i'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you werent being aggressive in your tone and i'll try and be as clear as I can, with what is only my opinion; take it or leave it, most wont give a hoot.

Anyway, back to my point. I accept your statements about his lifes work and the fact that I should have done my homework. You will have seen from my post if you had read it that I said that I didnt know anything about him nor claimed so but that I was looking forward (even more so now) to reading some of his work. All I am suggesting is that these 'awards' can and are seen subjectively by most who read about them. I didnt want this to be Kylie focused but as it seems to have stemmed from her then we'll use her for arguments sake. She can and will be seen as a women who has portrayed herself with dignity, decorum and good humour over 20 years or so never letting herself or her fans down with poor behaviour personally or in the the public eye. She has suffered cancer and has been an inspiration to millions. She has launched a sucessful business and clothing line and all as I said, without letting herself or fans down, ala Amy Winehouse. She has also sung a few catchy tunes. I'm not her number one fan, dont care too much for her music either, but I respect what he has done and in the way she has done it.

I also think your reference to Hitler is a bit close to the wire and in poor taste, by the way, and totally out of context for what was supposed to be a friendly exchange of views and probably not called for in the scheme of things.

So does Kylie derserve the award, in her own way probably, does Taylor deserve it, by the sounds of it definately, does Parky derserve it, in my eyes no but in others for whom he has given great pleasure, probably. I agree with some and not with others - makes no difference as it doesnt affect me, just good fuel for stimulating, balanced forums such as this.

Happy New Year. :)

As you say, at the beginning of your note you professed to know nothing about FJT. Had you wanted to learn more about him all you had to do was ask for some information. There are plenty here, including myself who would have been happy to tell you just why he is worthy of the award he has received. In that way you would have able to avoid using the term “Sitting on a bank side etc “. and then accusing me of failing to understand the irony in your statement. Personally, I found that remark to be offensive for a number of reasons one of them being that I have been involved with FJT in a number of his charity events. Believe me, none of us sat around on the bank side.

I was not responsible for bringing Kylie Minogue into the discussion it was you who compared her directly with FJT and suggested that she was probably more deserving of the award than was Fred. Can this FJTaylor be compared to Kylie when all he has done is sit on a bankside (your words.)

Although Kylie was awarded her OBE for her services to music, you go on about her dignity and courage. Well, she is not alone in that which, if you had done some ground work before you posted, you could easily have discovered. For example FJT has had two heart attacks and a triple bypass and fought back to continue his work for charities and disadvantaged kids. He also fought in a number of major tank battles in WW II. He became a prisoner of war, escaped and continued fighting until his tank was hit and he was pulled out of the burning wreck.

As far as you finding my remark about Kylie being offensive I am afraid that it is a sad fact of life that if you make remarks that offend others then you might get hurt yourself.

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

What's Fishermans Blues then?

MC

Fishermans Blues is a weekend radio programme on Talk sport radio, 1089 on the medium wave band. It runs from 06-00 to 08-00 om saturdays and sundays. It is hosted by none other than Keith Arthur, it's basically similar to "Tight Lines" on Sky Sports.

Always listen to it on saturdays as I get my lad up and off to work. I usually listen if I'm off around the country to either pick up my daughter from various locations or if I'm off fishing somewhere.

http://www2.talksport.net/shows/show.asp?showId=100249 is the website for the show.

If the hat's missing

I've gone fishing