Split cane rods

tiddlertamer

I still retain a small 6'6" split cane rod for fly fishing on brooks and small rivers for which purpose it still reigns supreme.

However for all other purposes good quality modern carbon fibre is the finest material available today my cane coarse rod have been given an honarable retirement.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

Reading these posts takes me back. I have just dug out my MK1V Avon that I built from a kit whilst I was a schoolboy in the 60's. I guess we must have bought it form JB Walker, the name does ring a bell. I still have the book Rod Building for Amateurs by Dick Walker price 5 shillings. I had never built a rod before, I was only 12 / 13 and my dad was no help being next to useless at DIY but with patience and I guess a bit of luck the ferrules went on true. The rod is still straight as a die. Only use carbon now but would like to try a short cane fly rod for small streams. The action I guess is much slower and more suited to short casts.

Di! Ecce hora. Uxor mea me necabit.

I built a number of rods from J B Walker materials, and still use them. I remember cycling at age 14 from Crowborough to 4b Prospect Road, Hythe for materials to build a light spinning rod, and getting several cups of tea and a potted apprenticeship in cane splitting and rod building from Mr Walker and a chap who was in the shop with him, if I remember right, a Mr Mallett (?)

Steve Burke - does anyone from Peggy's family remember Mr Mallett ?

I cycled to Hythe to save postage costs and to prevent the package being delivered at home - I kept all my fishing gear, and other boyhood treasures in a friend's shed as my parents were liable to burn things they disapproved of.

The light spinning rod, a Mk4, and a Wallis-type Avon rod still see regular use, and a pike spinning rod, and flyrod are brought out for an airing now and then. I'm pretty sure the Mk 4 blank was built by Bob Southwell.

After finding out how difficult it was to true-up split bamboo triangular sections by hand (I made 20 triangular strips before I could get six to fit for the top joint of my spinning rod) I bought all my split-bamboo blanks ready made.

I also built a JBW beach caster from East India Bamboo, which was used with a big walnut centre-pin reel and cuttyhunk line to cast 1 lb of lead and a three-boom brass paternoster off Dover Breakwater. As Clive Gammon once said, sea angling was a bit thick-eared in those days.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Steve Burke - does anyone from Peggy's family remember Mr Mallett ?

Peggy doesn't but I'll ask her Mum tomorrow.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

earlier than me i built their 16ft fiberglass kit ,i ended up with one arm like popeye.

i never used them bar for rod fittings as i used the tontine street tackle shop as it was on my way from capel to hythe for the rest ,downhill all the way there bar the rondevous cafe hill unfortunately all up hill on the way back and dover hill is a killer.

sea fishing was easier ,down the cliff from the cafe but a knackering climb back up after a night session.

your mum was worse than mine Vagabond (and thats saying something) for years i had to carry a 177 air rifle in my tackle bag because having one was forbidden ,i still have the poor thing today and hopefully i was less strict on my kids ,no problem with my dustbin being blown apart now!, dum dum shotgun carts whatever next :rolleyes:

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I've been lucky enough to track down a few of the kit rods. One of them is my main "user" rod. It's a Mk IV avon, which I bought for £14 in Croydon in the early eighties. The same shop also provided me with the Mitchell 300 (new) which almost permanently partners the rod. When I bought it, it was falling apart, the strips of cane were seperating, the whippings were moth eaten and it was a real mess.

I had to make the whipping silk for the intermediate whippings, by paring down some thicker silk I'd bought at auction. After steaming the cane and easing it apart, I was able to glue it back together using thinned evostick impact adhesive. The female spigot was crushed, so I turned up a new pair on a lathe. Rats had eaten the cork, so I replaced the damage with corks from an old sea rod, which again, I'd freed off with steam. The red rubber button on the butt, had again been eaten by Rats. This was replaced with a home brewing rubber bung bought from Boots and turned on the lathe to replicate the original.

All the plain chrome rings were useable (old ones can be re-chromed if you find someone who'll take the time), but the glass tip and butt guides were cracked. After scouring a lot of boot fairs, two were found on knackered and broken rods, bought for pennies (I still look out for beaten and bashed rods at boot fairs, as you can use them as a good source of spares). These were fitted and are identivcal to the ones on my true James Mk IV rods (I also found some new butt rings on e-bay a while ago, so it's always worth a look).

A lot of effort I'll grant you, but apart from the satisfaction I gained from taking the time, I learned a lot about rod building and repair. If I'm ever on a roving fishing trip it's still my first choice of rod. Yesterday I had (stalked) four Carp to double figures, using lobworms and a home made Norfolk Reed waggler, from a local lake.

The rod's had plenty of fish to 20lbs, including double figure Barbel and my first 2lb Roach. Perhaps it's re-paying me for saving it from the bonfire! But at the end of the day, it's a tool for catching fish. If it gives up the ghost while doing so, I'll not be too sad, as it's given me so much pleasure.

I also have Scottie rods, as well as quite a few original B.James and Hardys. All get used, as do my modern rods. Cane is totally different in feel to carbon, has a different action and I urge all to have a go.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

I had several SC rods made by Bob Southwell (West Croydon) A tiny little 8ft wand that landed me a 12lb pike on the R Arun.

A double built beach rod...much to powerful for me, even though I was in the peak of my casting period.

Had many a chat with Bob about the rods he made for Walkers and James..my recollection was that he was a bit miffed at not getting the recognition he deserved.

When glass came in, I quickly abandoned my SC rods, most ended up getting damp and warped in the garage :)

I must be a right saddo though, I can't get my head around this "feel" business, either with a centrepin or with SC rods, and believe me, I spent enough years using them.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Guest tigger
I must be a right saddo though, I can't get my head around this "feel" business, either with a centrepin or with SC rods, and believe me, I spent enough years using them.

Den

I think the feel buisness is just the buzz of using your finger/ thumb as the clutch. Although you can use your finger as the clutch on a fixed spool if you want to. Being realistic I don't think you have any where near the control over a fish with a c/p as a fixed spool "can't wind in as fast if the fish heads for snags etc". Cp's are just another form of toy in my opinion what a lot of us like to play about with. After saying all that though I don't think you can beat a cp for trotting and that really is a fact.

I didn't mean to sound harsh, but I have really tried with a pin. I used to spin with one in my youth, same thing with SC rods. I spent several winters spinning with my Mk 1V, and delightfull as it was, it was heavy and "dull" to use compared to my newly aquired glass ones. Reaction time of cane is so slow, that all movements have to be exaggerated compared to carbon.

Braid gives me all the feel I need, every little turn and tug is transmitted thro the light weight carbon rod.

Where SC can score is in fly casting, the rod having some weight flexes well, slowing the action down.

I use my finger tips on the rim of my FS reels, the same as a CP. This gives me a subtelty and delicacy that with a modern large roller gives an almost direct feel.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic