Pub landlord gives 2 fingers to the smoking ban

mr motorola

Do you agree with the new ban?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Smoking or Non-smoking? If the pubs / clubs and bingo hall managers had the choice of Smoking or Non-Smoking for their estasblishment , what would the majority vote be?

• Smoking allowed
    • No Smoking allowed

I don't know if anyone is interested in an idea for a practical solution to this problem, but here goes, anyway. As most people know, church attendance in the UK has been dropping over a number of years, resulting in some parishes having to combine and quite a lot of churches closing. There is still one major "growth area" and that is "house churches" - like-minded people meeting on a regular basis in each other's houses.

If you smoke and miss the company of the pub, why not start up your own "house pub"? A group of smoking friends could rotate around each other's houses for as many nights in the week as they would normally go to the pub. It might take a bit of organisation, but with the will to succeed, it ought to work.

It's quite similar to the bothy scene in the Scottish Highlands and in remote parts of Ireland. There's no pub nearby, so people meet in each other's houses, drink, smoke, sing songs, play music, tell stories.

Wouldn't that be a solution? OK, it wouldn't help pub landlords, but then times change and so do customs.

Great point Davy, but an easier solution would be to allow smoking in churches, that would put the attendances up at a stroke, and you have the graveyard adjacent too, so not far to go when the fags finally nail you,

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Which means the total deaths Attributed directly to smoking = 52200

Isn't that just the number of cancer deaths directly attributed to smoking? Does it include heart disease, thrombosis, emphysema and everything else?

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

Great point Davy, but an easier solution would be to allow smoking in churches, that would put the attendances up at a stroke, and you have the graveyard adjacent too, so not far to go when the fags finally nail you,

:bigemo_harabe_net-163: :bigemo_harabe_net-163:

You really do tickle me sometimes , Neil. :thumbs: :thumbs:

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

Rabbit - :bigemo_harabe_net-163::bigemo_harabe_net-163::bigemo_harabe_net-163:

Wordbender - You just don't get it, do you? You are now desperately trying to bring more and more reasons to fuel your hatred of smokers - What's happened to your outcry that you are a man of compassion?

Edited by kleinboet

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Nick, can you check your figures again, I get these:Total number of deaths = 600,000% due to cancer = 30% of cancer deaths due to smoking = 29That's a bit different to what you have just posted - My ref: W.H.O.If you like you can post the total population of The UK just for comparison!
The figure of 114,000 s the lowest of several figures I found quoted, that particular one from a non-authoritative source. Most sources I looked at where giving a figure of around 120,000 deaths attributable to smoking in the UK, amongst the sources I looked at were the Office of National Statistics, and several parliamentary questions reported in Hansard. The figure of 114,000 is all deaths attributable to smoking, not just cancer deaths.The article linked above gives the breakdown as:42,800 smoking related cancers30,600 cardiovascular disease29,100 emphysema and other chronic lung diseasesI guess the others are from other smoking related causes.Your figures would suggest total cancer deaths in the UK of 180,000 per annumof which 52,200 are smoking related.So we're not differing wildly.Just a different route to a similar sort of statistic. And if you like I'll happilly concede that you figures are more accurate!
Isn't that just the number of cancer deaths directly attributed to smoking? Does it include heart disease, thrombosis, emphysema and everything else?
Yes it is and no it doesn't :)

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

Wordbender - You just don't get it, do you? You are now desperately trying to bring more and more reasons to fuel your hatred of smokers - What's happened to your outcry that you are a man of compassion?

What 'outcry'? Do you mean my reaction to your disgraceful and unfounded claim that I would consider the death of a 70 year old man as 'Good'? A claim you haven't the decency to apologise for.

I don't have a hatred of smokers, as any of my friends and family who are smokers would confirm. What are these 'reasons' you're citing? I questioned your statement about deaths attributed to smoking. Why didn't you answer that instead of inventing more unsubstantiated statements about me?

Stop attributing your own nasty, dishonourable mindset to me and deal with the issues, Kleinboet, and while you're at it, stop making up nonsense to make you feel better.

I really am a man of compassion, but your shameful conduct would try the patience of a bloody saint.

I think you should go back and read some of the posts you have submitted. There are an awful lot of postings that will decry your "man of compassion" claim.

To me the most INSULTING is your throw away remark of smokers not bothered to walk a few yards and then a pathetic excuse that "most pubs have a smoking area a few paces OUTSIDE for smokers" Compassionate that - isn't it!

Nick, Why? you agree with my figures. I am not arguing for the sake of it, I just want to see fair play for EVERYBODY! I don't care whether they are Smokers or non-smokers, abled bodied or disabled. Why must anybody be treated differently if they are not the same as you?

I think you should go back and read some of the posts you have submitted. There are an awful lot of postings that will decry your "man of compassion" claim.

To me the most INSULTING is your throw away remark of smokers not bothered to walk a few yards and then a pathetic excuse that "most pubs have a smoking area a few paces OUTSIDE for smokers" Compassionate that - isn't it!

Why don't you point out these posts that 'decry my lack of compassion'? Go on, let's see them. I bet there's not a single one that comes anywhere near your shameful claim that I'd regard the death of an old man as 'good'. And you have the nerve to accuse me of being insulting.

My statement about the proximity of the smoking areas was a direct response to yet more rubbish from you that challenged my use of the term 'a few paces'. I was correct, you were wrong, so as ever you try to evade the issue with nonsense fantasies.

Deal with the real issues and stop inventing rubbish, Kleinboet.