Pub landlord gives 2 fingers to the smoking ban

mr motorola

Do you agree with the new ban?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Smoking or Non-smoking? If the pubs / clubs and bingo hall managers had the choice of Smoking or Non-Smoking for their estasblishment , what would the majority vote be?

• Smoking allowed
    • No Smoking allowed

Worbender: 1. Ideally, I'd like every decent person in the world to rid their lives of smoking, because it kills too many of them, but the ban in public places is plenty good enough for me.

Please don't tell me that you didn't say it - The inference is there!

Of course I said it. It was a straight answer to the question 'are you satisfied with the ban in public places or do you want a total ban?'

Now, how on earth does that statement mean I insist on there not being smoking-only pubs and clubs? Even you have already downgraded it from an 'insist' to an 'inference'. Hasn't the fact that I've stated more than once that I thought smoking-only premesis were the way forward clued you in at all?

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The idea ,being quashed by some on here, of smoking pubs not being a possibility.........

A question on it , if i may.

You openly state that all workers entering the smoking pub would be subject to the exposure of smoke.

How , IF smoking pubs were allowed , would this be in breach of any law or regulation?

The premises would / should be in accordance to the law and its guidlines.

If your gripe is the inconvenience to the workers entering a smoking pub , then WHO EXACTLY used to deliver to these pubs pre-ban , when smoking in public areas was commonplace?

Once again , i really do feel that it is more about convenience than a health issue (regarding the issue in my post) , as already stated most pubs / clubs have pretty up-to-date air conditioning units and almost every pub has windows. Also , most if not all workers / suppliers to a pub are usually in the premises before or after hours , thus , the smokey atmosphere will be almost non-existent.

As for bar staff , lets do as our leaders do ........Discriminate.

Edited by mr motorola

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

I am a non-smoker, so why am I fighting for them? Because I belong to another minority - the disabled! I will NOT have smokers being treated the way disabled people are treated-FULL STOP!!

Seeing as smokers are far more likely than non-smokers to become disabled as a direct result of their addiction, you might say that it is doing them a service by preparing them for what is to come in later life.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Peter, that is a competely inflammatory statement!!

Ok wordbender, I won't go through all your statements because you run around with your words (you should have been a politician). Just answer me this - are you quite happy with the idea of smokers of all ages, races and gender, to be sent outside in any sort of weather, while you sit inside, when you know quite well that this can be changed by an ammendment to the law!

Edited by kleinboet

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Just answer me this - are you quite happy with the idea of smokers of all ages, races and gender, to be sent outside in any sort of weather, while you sit inside

Sent?

I thought they had some kind of choice?

(They are perfectly entitled to stay inside with the rest of us, only they cannot smoke inside).

Surely they themselves choose to go outside?

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Leon, they ,smokers, don't have a choice. Oooops , sorry ,they do, don't they?

For, in our fantastic climate of warm sunny skies day and night , our heatwaves lasting for months on end , with hardly any rainfall , we have some of the best weather on the planet. That's why we chose to smoke outside and bask in the countries fantastic and glorious weather.

But seriously , in all honesty , where is the problem in smoking / non-smoking pubs?

I cannot find one.

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

Mr M - As soon as you paint them in a corner they then start playing with words (SENT - I thought they had a choice! mmmmmmmmmmmmm) that's the only way they can hide how blinkered they are!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

As a smoker i can see both sides of the argument.I must admit that being in a smoke filled room particularly when eating is most unpleasant or in confined spaces such as when flying etc.However i do feel the ban is overkill.Many of the restaurants pubs etc have ample provision to accommodate smokers and non smokers alike.The ban is here and its not going to go away,infact i can see it being extended, and yes i feel the minority won.

As i work outside,my hope is that ALL the gas guzzling vehicles chucking out all those pollutants are taken off the road or priced out of existance,as i am sure that they are doing me just as much harm if not more than my smoking.However i guess there are an awful lot of non smoking 4x4 drivers out there who would not agree :lol::rolleyes:

Just answer me this - are you quite happy with the idea of smokers of all ages, races and gender, to be sent outside in any sort of weather, while you sit inside, when you know quite well that this can be changed by an ammendment to the law!

Well you wouldn't want him to be discriminatory would you? :D

Mr M - As soon as you paint them in a corner they then start playing with words (SENT - I thought they had a choice! mmmmmmmmmmmmm) that's the only way they can hide how blinkered they are!

Fair comment Kleinboet. It's a very gritty debate that (on a couple of occasions) almost spilled over , but , i respect everyones post (for and against) , including yours Kleinboet.

It is most certainly a topic that cuts into many peoples lives , whether it be for or against.

Seeing doggedness and steadfastness on both sides of the debate

And a debate is exactly what it is .

One of the best i've seen on AN for quite a while...... :thumbs: