oh eck, i've gone and got a pole

scunnydelight

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the advice, I will give it another try when there are not so many people fishing around me. The pole roller sounds like a good ideas it really that vital to begin with ?

If i'm really honest with you NO its not but you do need something if only to stop you cracking your pole on a rock. When I first started I used to lay my rod holdall or net bag on the floor behind me just to keep the pole off the deck but a roller does this job so much better and you pick them up quite cheap (around £10)

Bear in mind though if you use a roller you will need a pole sock or tulip otherwise your pole could roll into the drink, I speak from experience.

Get a pole sock over a tulip grip because they offer more of a target area to aim for when you've just landed a fish.

See what I mean about being a headache :rolleyes: Pole sock? tulip grip?

Anyway, looked on ebay for them, I take it that you put them in front of you and stick the end of your pole in it (missus has warned me about where i put my pole :blink: )

I have already made my own feed pot from a deodorant top, see how that works out when I go again, I did find that holding the pole across my knees was the best way for me.

Going to take it again the weekend, and hopefuly I will improve and get better with it. I will be using the pole for works competion in June, all the top weights are caught on pole, there's only about 5 of us who usually fish with rod and reel, and we all finish in the bottom of the weights. :yucky:

Who knows, I might even have improved enough to win :thumbs:

who cares what size it is, as long as it's a fish.

Sorry to take so long to come back! Steve - someone can be very experienced, but pole rigs are so different and varied from float fishing that he will be learning the various places that they shot the rigs and why!

Might reflect more on my pole rigs than anything else, but I always applied the same principles to shotting a pole rig as I did to a running line. The only difference is that you don't have to compromise presentation to allow for it being easy to cast without tangling. So bulk shotting to get a bait down quickly, small shots strung out to fish on the drop, use of tell-tales, etc.

Can I recommend Bob Nudds Illustrated Guide To Pole Fishing, he has everything covered in that, you should pick it up for a good price on the net or WH Smiths.

Shaun, Still learning how to fish.

hi,

i converted to the pole back in july and bought a "budget" 11m setup from Ultimate Angling

after the first day of use i never looked back, after 6 trips i purchased a Maver 151 and found it much much lighter and comfortable to use (no prolonged back ache), best fish yet is an 11lb carp which due to me no knowing how much i could bully the fish, took me 45mins to land on size 10 elsatic and 16 hook

i constantly out-fish my neighbour who go's with me, but he's adamant he's sticking to a rod n reel

i bought a couple of bob nudd "start pole fishing" dvd's and found them very useful for rigs, methods etc etc

if you PM me your address i'll send you a copy for the price of the postage

all the best

steve

Hi Steve

The PM is not working, thanks for the advice.

Gary

hi,

i converted to the pole back in july and bought a "budget" 11m setup from Ultimate Angling

after the first day of use i never looked back, after 6 trips i purchased a Maver 151 and found it much much lighter and comfortable to use (no prolonged back ache), best fish yet is an 11lb carp which due to me no knowing how much i could bully the fish, took me 45mins to land on size 10 elsatic and 16 hook

i constantly out-fish my neighbour who go's with me, but he's adamant he's sticking to a rod n reel

i bought a couple of bob nudd "start pole fishing" dvd's and found them very useful for rigs, methods etc etc

if you PM me your address i'll send you a copy for the price of the postage

all the best

steve

PM starts working after you've made 15 posts.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I bought my first pole last year, I still do not use this pole at full length upto no 7 at most.

I must admit that the pole seems to be the thing to use on the comercials.

Just to add to mattnewmans elastic guide.

No 10 - Is best for large bream, tench etc. This is the first to be classed as Carp elastic.

No 10/12/14 - Are probably the most popular comercial pool elastics.

No 16/18/20+ - Are for really big carp