Ethics?

gozzer

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is precisely the hypocrisy I was refering too.

''We the public are not aware of farming procedures'' translates to ''We the public choose not to look too closely at farming procedures because we might not like what we find and we certainly haven't got any intention of doing the procedure ourselves''

Referring to the factory scale rearing, transportation, slaughtering and processing of animals as ''farming procedures'' and saying you are ''not aware'' but instead have faith in industry for supplying the best conditions for animals, illustrates how you are turning a blind eye to a potentially emotive subject. The reason you are doing this is because you benefit from the system. Conversely you do not benefit from another set of people using live bait. Hence it's a hypocritical view.

I really think for the sake of clarity we try and keep within the boundary of what we are debating Live baiting, I and you do not have much control over food production and rearing, but we do over the issues within our sport Angling that is what we are debating ethics within angling.

But to draw on comparisons regarding what you perceive as cruel (intensive farming) it does tell me you are feeling perhaps that live baiting is also cruel, No? But because it is a part of the sport you wish to indulge in Fine for you then, but a tad hypocritical too.

I really think for the sake of clarity we try and keep within the boundary of what we are debating Live baiting, I and you do not have much control over food production and rearing, but we do over the issues within our sport Angling that is what we are debating ethics within angling.

But to draw on comparisons regarding what you perceive as cruel (intensive farming) it does tell me you are feeling perhaps that live baiting is also cruel, No? But because it is a part of the sport you wish to indulge in Fine for you then, but a tad hypocritical too.

The relevance of intensive farming is that it is something that most of us sustain with our shopping habits and is therefore a point of reference against which to consider our ethical standards to other animals.

We are in total control of how our food is produced. All we have to do is think a little bit about what we're buying rather than basing our choices entirely on cost.

I accept that by doing some of things I enjoy, such as eating a nice steak and going fishing, I will be responsible for the death of some animals.

Fortunately, I don't have to kill the cows, pigs and sheep etc that I eat, but if I did, I think that somehow a fish would come pretty close to the bottom of the list in terms of the emotions I would have to overcome before killing.

I don't need to eat meat, any more than I don't need to fish with live baits. I choose to do both on occasion and to ease my concience, I sometimes buy meat from sources where I think the animal might have lived a reasonable life and I try to give my live baits a fighting chance of surviving where possible. If I feel any guilt it's more likely to be for the relative suffering I may be causing by not thinking about where my meat comes from rather than worrying about the roach that didn't survive and goes into the freezer with the 50 odd blast frozen fish that someone else killed for me.

Rabbit,

Should you for the sake of clarity wish to debate live baiting then do so on the Is live baiting cruel thread, this thread is entittled Ethics?

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

i dont know if we care more as we age but in my case in my yooooof i had a family to feed on less than break even wages so i killed ,"rescued" and picked up animals for the pot ,they suffered on a snare they died quickly in other cases .i dont harm anything now i dont have too but if i got back to the sames conditions i was on there i would do it all again.

just because i may not end the life of an animal in the quickest or best way doesn't mean i'm uncaring i had animals i never hurt and a bigger softy you wont find anywhere ,necessity makes the difference .

i not out and out cruel because i have a reason, cruelty is doing something without one

Ethics is a big question and you cant be in the middle ,you can moan about CO2 but ethically to moan you have to produce none bar your breath ,no good moaning when your cars in the drive and your warm and toasty in front of your monitor.

ethically speaking you shouldnt hear from those carbon hating types! to do so uses carbon!

you can refuse to eat meat thats your choice as it is others to eat it but you cant moan at meat eaters if your lying back on your leather sofa eating jelly

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Rabbit,

Should you for the sake of clarity wish to debate live baiting then do so on the Is live baiting cruel thread, this thread is entittled Ethics?

I was just typing out the same reply when the phone rang!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Rabbit,

Funny I thought that as well, still two Rabbits for the price of one, cant be bad.

Edited by Rabbit

a brace of them

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

i dont know if we care more as we age but in my case in my yooooof i had a family to feed on less than break even wages so i killed ,"rescued" and picked up animals for the pot ,they suffered on a snare they died quickly in other cases .i dont harm anything now i dont have too but if i got back to the sames conditions i was on there i would do it all again.

just because i may not end the life of an animal in the quickest or best way doesn't mean i'm uncaring i had animals i never hurt and a bigger softy you wont find anywhere ,necessity makes the difference .

i not out and out cruel because i have a reason, cruelty is doing something without one

Agreed if pushed we all would do things we normally wouldnt do, including taking coarse fish for the pot. and picking up road kill :yucky: We have lost the need to hunt for our food which in a way is a shame as there is still a wealth of free food out there. Personally I get a buzz out of picking field mushrooms, berries and taking the odd trout, (lovely poached) :rolleyes:

Its a comforting thought that if by some horrible catastrophe was to fall on this country at least anglers would be the last to starve..