Lure fishing with bleak around

The Flying Tench

I am currently reading 'Lure Fishing' by Mike Ladle and Harry Casey. Based on various scientific studies, they conclude that, particularly for predators that may concentrate on a particular species of prey fish at the relevant time of year, a lure angler needs to match his lure to the bait fish as far as possible - though it ought to be a bit different to attract attention, which of course it will be anyway.

I am wondering about the Thames, which sure has plenty of bleak! Now I know of plenty of Thames perch caught on lures which don't in the least resemble bleak, but OTOH I have known times when they might be bleak obsessed. For example, there were instances in the autumn when I cast in a bread feeder, and the surface would erupt each time with bleak which had gathered to sample the bread crumbs which were, in turn, attacked by a predator, I assume perch. I tried float fished lobworm, and also casting a spinner, through the attack area, but with no luck. On one occasion I also tried bleak deadbait, but also no luck.

Does anyone have experience of lure fishing for perch when they are in the middle of a bleak feast?

john clarke

I've had the same thing happen on the Thames - every time the feeder lands there's a swarm of bleak, then an explosion as a perch hits them. Very exciting to watch, but like you I've never actually managed to catch the perch responsible! A bleak livebait should offer the most chance...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I've had the same thing happen on the Thames - every time the feeder lands there's a swarm of bleak, then an explosion as a perch hits them. Very exciting to watch, but like you I've never actually managed to catch the perch responsible! A bleak livebait should offer the most chance...

Much the same on the Severn during my fortnight in a narrowboat. Trotting and loose feeding. Mixed shoals of tiddlers, bleak predominating - with ravenous perch attacking. I did get some of the perch, (on small bleak/chub/dace) but all the perch were between about a pound and a pound-and-a-half. It is amazing how small a perch has no trouble swallowing a five-inch bleak.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

All,

Oh lordy, I got back from vacation just in time.

Tench, I bet what they say is true is also sometimes NOT true.

Perca only engage in a true frenzie when the light is 3-7 candela in the visible light near green. They are not "thinking" fishhhh, they do what nature dictates. A bare hook works really great during a frinzie - or - of course you can show off with a $7 lure if you wish.

I seriously doubt if perch can identify prey by species or sex or anything else.

Phone

I seriously doubt if perch can identify prey by species or sex or anything else.

LOL .....and not even by size. The limits on prey size are just physical. Either too small to notice, or too big to swallow. Anything in between is fair game.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I had some decent perch on these over the summer. It takes very little working of the rod tip to get them going and for a long time, I was over doing it. They also have their own action on a straight retrieve but you have to be pulling it fast.

To be honest, it sinks a bit to fast but it is a handy lure to have in the armoury.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.