Floodlight fishing

mjbarnes12

Several have seemed to have lost sight of the facts here er maybe they need a bit of lighting! Firstly we are talking about commercial "mud holes" here so the whys and what fors of the "fish welfare" in relation to any lighting etc are a bit down the list arnt they? Same with all the talk of "artificiality" surely?

Also the guy who has actually fished the place has said that the lighting levels are only high ewnough to enable you to see to bait up tackle up watch your float etc.

Light or more acurately the length of the period of available light does trigger cyprinids spawning once correct water temperatures have been achieved but Steve has all ready answered himself on this point.

I also (Im only trying to be logical here and look at it from a commercial managers point of veiw as Ive no experience of this set up) would have thought that it was most unl;ikely that the lights would be on all night every night.Simply as it would be to expensive to do this without having a certain amount of anglers on the water.More likely only at set times or if a match or similar was booked.

I think commercials are a cause for concern in many ways but lets just focus on the real problems as performing over this just makes it look as if we would condem anything different.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of you folks seem to have some mixed up ideology! Im sure it has probably been said, but if you dont want to fish one of these floodlight places, then dont!! There's no-one with a gun to your head (well at least i think not) telling you to go and fish this place, so if you dont agree you can do down to your local river or whatever and fish in the day. This is for people on a tight schedual (probably poor spelling) who cant go fishing in the day on a weekly basis, so they can pop down for a few hours after work, where is the problem with that? If this is something that really worries you in life, you need to get out more!

Edited by Ollie2376

I think you must read my post again, im not saying that its right or wrong, im just saying that if you dont want to do it then dont! Theres no point crying over spilt milk as they say, someone has made this place becuase there is an obvious market for it, if you dont agree with it, who cares? just by some people slagging the place off on a forum doesnt mean its going to be banned!

Would love to know the mortality rate for these night light fisheries come 12 months time.The stress these fish will endure being caught day time and nightime. <_<

RANT OVER

LOL! The fishery in question operatest from 6:00am till 9:00pm which means that the fish have at least 9 hours respite in between!

Surely now you are attacking all angelers that fish through the night! What do you want to do next, ban night fishing?

As I have already mentioned these lights are simply an aid to anglers in that they can see tackle etc not so that we can see the fish.

And no I did not contradict myself with my first comments I simply wrote that I love to fish at whatever location as long as I have a chance of catching a few. I did not write that I wanted to catch 100lb plus every outing!

There seems to be a few people getting hot under the collar regards this flood light fishing.

I hope some of the 'older' anglers can back me up, (in case my minds going), but wasn't this tried in the 70s? I'm sure I remember a fishery, (before the modern commercials) doing this for match fishing.

There are also plenty of urban waters that (unintentionally) have flood lit conditions, due to the fact that they are in towns. This is especially so, now that waterside refurbishment it popular.

Stretches of my local canal had mills and factories alongside, and the lights from there enabled you to see well enough to bait up, and see a float. There were also a few mill ponds where this happened. The lights on these waters went on at dusk and off at dawn, so there was no respite from the light, it was just brighter during the day.

It's not the flood lights that are the problem with me, it's just the increase in heavily stocked waters, and the type of fish that are put in them, that are my concern.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Ollie it seems that it is you who have misunderstood me.

Sorry Budgie, this wasnt a reply to your exact post, it was a reply to all those pedantic soles that were having sleepless nights over the fact someone has put lights on a fishery so you cant get 3 hours extra fishing! lol