21 Things Glasgow Has That The Rest Of The World Urgently Needs

corydoras

Crunchy peanut butter and marmite works well....apparently.

Works for me, as long as they are not on the same slice of toast.

• Like 1

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

In fact, There are legion items that make a tasty light meal when served grilled on a slice of toasted wholemeal

Off the top of my head:-

Sardines

Button mushrooms

Horse mushrooms

Scrambled egg with chopped chives/other suitable herbs

Bacon and tomato

Mussels (cheaper than Angels on Horseback)

Herring roe

Anchovies

Whitebait

Devilled kidneys

Various pates

Sheep's brain (My grandmother used to serve this in the 1940s but it's now considered too high-risk)

Asparagus

Shrimps

....and I don't think we have reached the end of Norma's inventiveness - can anyone add to the list ? (simple items, there are endless combinations) I would hate to reach my "Come in Dave, your time's up" date and have missed out on something-tasty-on-toast.

PS No, Chesters, not sprouts :)

Not grilled, but is lovely between two slice of toast [optional cheese], Haselet.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

All,

Lordy! no wonder you Brits get cranky. I do like crunchy peanut butter and honey.

Phone

Me too, just not together.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

No mention of Glasgow's Italian delis or Mexican restaurants.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

No mention of Glasgow's Italian delis or Mexican restaurants.

Nor of the many excellent Italian Gelataria

but I like Lime Pickle and could eat that for lunch.

Trout pate to finish today, but tomorrow is soon enough.

It was OK, but it was just like - eerrm - Lime Pickle on toast.

I think I'll stick to having Lime pickle with a curry or smoked Mackerel.

It was OK, but it was just like - eerrm - Lime Pickle on toast.

I think I'll stick to having Lime pickle with a curry or smoked Mackerel.

Try Mixed Pickle, even better than Lime Pickle. Goes great with a bacon and cheese sarnie.

Try Mixed Pickle, even better than Lime Pickle. Goes great with a bacon and cheese sarnie.

Bacon and (grilled) cheese sarnie was my breakfast this morning. :blink:

"Mixed Pickle" sounds a bit ambiguous - or is that a standard term for something specific? Most pickles are a mix, aren't they?

I tend to steer away from bought pickles and especially chutneys, I find them all too sweet - vegetable jam is my usual description, ( I make my own mostly).

Just go into your local Asian shop and look for a jar of Mixed Pickle, it'll be close to the Lime Pickle and it is far from sweet. It's like Lime Pickle, but has more than just Lime in it.

Bacon and (grilled) cheese sarnie was my breakfast this morning. :blink:

"Mixed Pickle" sounds a bit ambiguous - or is that a standard term for something specific? Most pickles are a mix, aren't they?

I tend to steer away from bought pickles and especially chutneys, I find them all too sweet - vegetable jam is my usual description, ( I make my own mostly).

Edited by corydoras
  • Like 1