rowing boats

barrowlad

This topic seems to have run its course and so is a good time to return to the subject of buoyancy aids and lifejackets. As with Sportsman's posts these comments are also for the benefit of other readers, and not just aimed at Barrowboy.

When I started boat fishing more than a quarter century ago I too made the mistake of buying a buoyancy aid rather than a lifejacket. However I've since discovered that what's suitable for a day's boating isn't suitable for a day's fishing. This is because fishing is much more sedentary and therefore we wear heavier clothing.

Rather than repeating myself I'll simply give this link to a previous topic: http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/safety-...;hl=lifejackets

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are the inflatables acceptable over there? They are certainly less bulky and more comfortable to wear and since they autoinflate and have head support, they'll keep a large, unconcious person wearing full foul weather gear floating face up in pretty much any sort of weather.

This one for instance

10551.jpg

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Yep Newt, those are just the sort I use and recommend. Their other advantage is that you hardly know you're wearing them.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I have a 16ft Pebble boat and four of the above self inflating gas vests and I make people wear them before we set sail and myself and my son now wear them automaticely before we get in the boat to the point of feeling unprepared for a fishing trip if we attempt to set off without them on

Undoubtably you will get one or two strange looks from the none too wise brigade but ignore them as its usually the fools and the unprepared who drown

Slim and unobtrusive you don't really notice that you're wearing them but will be as grateful as hell should the worst ever happen and you end up overboard

Just to add to this, if you really want a small boat for fishing these waters forget the bic 252 (its a joke) get yourself a 10ft inflatable (or larger).

Ive fished on windermere 100's of times been out in some bad weather and the only boat i've ever felt really safe on was an inflatable.

If there good enough for the RNLI to use as rescue boats in rough sea's they'll handle anything windermere can throw at them.

Plus they fit in the boot of the car so easy and they are about the most stable boat you'll ever get.

Launching isnt a problem, if you can walk to the waters edge you can launch your inflatable, you dont need a trailer and storage is easy as well.

They all have multi chambers so if you stick a hook through one the other 2-3 will still keep you afloat, you would have to do something really stupid to burst all the chambers. And with a small outboard it will be quicker than other boats of a similar size (but dont go over the speed limit).

Scott, I had a look at the Exceel inflatebals, the 10ft one looks interesting. Maybe you have a different one, but as a guide, how long to inflate/deflate and how easy for one "old fella" to launch?

For example, could I carry one uninflated to the river side, inflate on the bank/grass and then launch single handed?.

Are they tough enough to drag across some ground before launching?

Not for big lakes, just a fairly small River (Kentish Stour)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Scott, I had a look at the Exceel inflatebals, the 10ft one looks interesting. Maybe you have a different one, but as a guide, how long to inflate/deflate and how easy for one "old fella" to launch?

For example, could I carry one uninflated to the river side, inflate on the bank/grass and then launch single handed?.

Are they tough enough to drag across some ground before launching?

Not for big lakes, just a fairly small River (Kentish Stour)

Den

Den, if you want to carry it on your own you might just struggle a bit depending on size of the inflatable, but a cheap match anglers type trolley would be ideal to move it about.

The last 10ft one i had was a Zodiac and i could inflate it in less than 10mins with a footpump.

My friend had a 2m version and that took less than 5mins to inflate.

Dragging across grass or mud is ok anything much more solid might be to much of a risk, but you can get transom wheels that make life so much easier.

If your only fishing small rivers or sheltered waters have a look at the Sevylor range, they are not the cheap versions you see at the beach, they are very hard wearing i've had a 7ft one for 10yrs had loads of abuse and only 3 punctures (easily fixed) in that time. And they are just about light enough to carry in a decent size rucksack.

Scott.

Thanks Scott :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic