Ultimate bobbin

Kappa

When I left school, and before I went into post production, I was an apprentice Swiss Lathe Auto Setter for four years, oh how I've always dreamed of having a small machine shop in the garage! Funnily enough, a Warco is what I'd have too, WMT 300 model with a leadscrew handle conversion I think. One day!

Geoff

I started with a Myford ML10 to make my first patented design (44 years ago) Borrowed £80 from my dad when the bank turned me down.

Sold it for £250 and bought a Warco lathe and Warco milling machine,, served me well, and only had to replace the drive belt once on the lathe.

I fully expect to be using it more and more when I get to old/rickety to fish.................maybe another steam loco?

ParadiseResized.jpg

Ihavelostadrillheresomewhere.jpg

A bit more swarfe been built since that was taken..............No, honestly, I have had a clear up :)

Den

Now I am jealous. Do I see the beginnings of the first Dragster Carp Porter :D

I don't want to hijack this topic Tinca, but yes you do see the start of the motorised barrow :) And if you look very carefully. you will see the death of a lot more "ideas" :)

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Thought I'd add some details of the already suggested Solar I-Lite Bobbins now that I've bought a pair.

Here's the bobbin with one 5g and one 10g weight screwed on (weights are available separately)

large.jpg

And here are the components.

large.jpg

The clear plastic part accepts Isotopes of up to 4mm x 26mm, or chemical lights such as the Starlite SL-5 (3mm x 23mm). The black plastic cone at the bottom accepts your securing line, the hole is fairly small, but a hot wire or careful drilling/filling could open it up some. The line clip is adjustable.

It should be obvious from the photos that they are quite small, my calipers measure them at 83mm long (2 1/2") long fully assemble WITHOUT weights. The bobbin itself is very light.

I hope that helps someone make an informed buying decision.

Geoff

• 1 month later...

Just picked up a new (old) toy today. Once I have got it set up in the workshop I will have another bash at making some telescopic swingers. I think I have got the design sorted but this will make the job a lot easier. Next on order will be a bigger chuck and some milling attachments. Visions of a Centrepin at some stage.

post-8110-1237497074_thumb.jpg

Got all the bits I need for my windproof bobbins MKII.

By the way Budgie I reckon I can make them much lighter than before, sticking to 'chain' idea, let me know if you want me to make a prototype for you to play with!

Rich

Yes please Rich.Ive sacked the bobbin and non flexible chain "cord" idea as I just couldnt get the right stuff at the right price.Couldnt find my "Queenford" swingers either so making some new ones,hence the plea for umbrella rib/arm hinges!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Ive sacked the bobbin and non flexible chain "cord" idea as I just couldnt get the right stuff at the right price.

I'm not sure of the cost of my chains. I've got enough for 8 or 12 metres for around 15 quid not including my labour ;). PM me your address and I'll make you one up. Do you have access for a decent drill? I reckon if you wanted to make them really light you could drill out some of the plastic to make them lighter.

Rich

You have to be careful where you source them from due to cost, but Lego Technics and other similar construction sets use plastic chain.

Geoff