Ultimate bobbin

Kappa

A quick word of warhing. Some of the indicator heads on the market aren't very good for our purposes as they can't be adjusted properly for thin lines. It may be worth testing them in your local tackle shop before buying them. The Gardner ones though are fine, and are the ones I use.

Steve, you know I said the solar i-lite line clips weren't very good? I've changed my mind, it was a fault with me rather than the bobbins :rolleyes: I like them now, they are adjustable and free running (with mono, anyway).

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Steve, you know I said the solar i-lite line clips weren't very good? I've changed my mind, it was a fault with me rather than the bobbins :rolleyes: I like them now, they are adjustable and free running (with mono, anyway).

Me too - simple but very effective!

Rich

RRP £24.99 - so about £75 for 3. This is for the medium size, large is more.

http://www.bristolangling.com/8688/Fox-Spr...arp-Hanger.html

Are they made of platinum and diamonds? Far far too expensive for me. To be honest the line clip is almost the least important bit for me. So long as it is free running and adjustable thats enough! Its the cord, stability and being able to see the bobbins easily which is vital IMO.

Rich

Edited by Richard Capper

• 4 weeks later...

Well, my ultimate swingers (try putting that into google :D ) are nearly finished! I tried using old brolly spokes for the arms, which just happened to fit the holes in the hinges perfectly. They are made of solid steel though so they are pretty heavy - so I still need to source something lighter. However, I set a rod up on banksticks in the garden today and tried them out, and they work really well. With the two hinges the bobbin head always stays vertical, there's no chance of tangles, and whether they're clipped to the front or rear bankstick they rise and fall easily without pinging off or getting stuck.

Once I've got something lighter for the arms I'll stick a few photos up. Although to be honest I reckon I could use them now if I needed to :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I set a rod up on banksticks in the garden today and tried them out, and they work really well.

So who played the role of the fish and did they dress up? :D

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I'm designing and making myself some new bobbins. They are probably way to complicated but I'm enjoying the challenge of pitting my wits against lots of different problems.

At the moment I'm trying to find a cheap way of making them more windproof.

If you could have bobbins made to your specifications what features etc would you like?

Rich

I have found blu-tack works well as its heavy enough to not be effected by the wind too much, its also cheap and can be taken off your line at any time. Hope this helps

(sorry if it doesn't, im new to ANGLERS NET)

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

So who played the role of the fish and did they dress up? :D

I was both fish and angler, it was all very confusing.

When Tinca sees these he's gonna chuck his into the lake in disgust and envy :rolleyes::D They aren't perfect (there is some sideways movement, although how that translates into beeps in windy weather we'll have to wait to find out) but I'm working to the 'good enough' principle :)

I'm going to a localish model shop a friend told me about on Saturday to try to get something for the arms. If that's successful, I'll be done!

I have found blu-tack works well as its heavy enough to not be effected by the wind too much, its also cheap and can be taken off your line at any time. Hope this helps

(sorry if it doesn't, im new to ANGLERS NET)

Ha ha!

Come on, who is it really? :lol:

I was both fish and angler, it was all very confusing.

When Tinca sees these he's gonna chuck his into the lake in disgust and envy :rolleyes::D They aren't perfect (there is some sideways movement, although how that translates into beeps in windy weather we'll have to wait to find out) but I'm working to the 'good enough' principle :)

I'm going to a localish model shop a friend told me about on Saturday to try to get something for the arms. If that's successful, I'll be done!

Anderoo, I am delighted that you have cracked it and good on ya for persevering. :thumbs: Really look forward to seeing them and even better if you hit one of those long lifters. Will I have to wear dark glasses. :sun: Sad bugger that I am, I have now started modifying my rod pod to sit the rods high and take the swingers which will hopefully solve the problem of wobbly bank sticks and work on both the landing stages and the bank. Should hopefully remove the neccessity to take a load of scaffolding. The barrow is next for mods to see if I can get to a stage of one trip instead of two but I think that will be a bridge too far.