Swan deaths from lead weights - Fishing Ban demanded

Leon Roskilly

A few lies being told here I suspect, either that or someone is selling lead shot again.

It would appear from the posts of anderoo and flemdike, that they are not aware that the sale of lead shot has been banned for many years in UK.

I have sent an email to Councillor Clee.

Den

Den, I'm aware that lead is banned (except in 8s and smaller and (I think?) in 1oz and above. That's why I wrote:

That's a whole lot of No. 8s they must be eating.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest flempike

As usual, does a ban mean that it is not being used (and being sold) in tackle shops? More and more anglers get their tackle from website, etc. and can get their hands on almost anything these days. When I see what people are sometimes fishing with these days ... never seen before stuff indeed, ordered directly from japan, USA and Australia! We should be sure of that before attacking the Swan guys. Swans can indeed be a pest. I was on Lough Ree a couple of years ago on a lakeboat trolling for pike, got a bit hungry around 11 o'clock and openen a waffle packet, there was no wind at all and very quiet. When taking my first bite, all in a sudden there was a swan (and they are huge and their necks are long, and the beaks look savage indeed...) right beside the boat, totally out of the blue. It was very determined to get the waffle as well! I was literaaly a sitting duck when the swan tried to climb on board to get to the waffle, it kept trying to get to it coming from every side of the boat. I used an oar to defend myself. In the end I threw the waffle as far as I could and fled, the beast came after me! The outboard engine saved me! Not keen on swans while fishing, but they shouldn't die because of lead (anglers' or not).

best Regards,

J.J.

Good idea Tony i have just sent this

I have just read the article were you accuse anglers of poisoning swans by leaving lead shot on the banks of the river or indeed in the river.

You are no doubt aware that for some twenty years anglers have not been able to use lead for fishing only in number 8 shot or dust which is very small, during a full season i may use no more than 10 of such items and all are taken home and this is the practice of most anglers.

I would very much like to see the evidence that you have base your claims on.

You will also be aware that there is a substantial amount of anglers who are also keen bird watchers and lovers and who are used as a great source of information regarding distressed wildlife and to come out with unfounded claims like this are going to strain that relationship.

Regards and best wishes.

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

Sizes below #6 weren't banned because they aren't retained in the swan's crop and so aren't ground down and absorbed.

Strikes me that this is just typical swan sanctuary anti-angling sentiment. They don't like us for various reasons, and they're trying to use this to get angling banned.

I think maybe an AN letter writing campaign might be a good idea? One to the swan sanctuary, one to the council?

As usual, does a ban mean that it is not being used (and being sold) in tackle shops? More and more anglers get their tackle from website, etc. and can get their hands on almost anything these days. When I see what people are sometimes fishing with these days ... never seen before stuff indeed, ordered directly from japan, USA and Australia! We should be sure of that before attacking the Swan guys. Swans can indeed be a pest. I was on Lough Ree a couple of years ago on a lakeboat trolling for pike, got a bit hungry around 11 o'clock and openen a waffle packet, there was no wind at all and very quiet. When taking my first bite, all in a sudden there was a swan (and they are huge and their necks are long, and the beaks look savage indeed...) right beside the boat, totally out of the blue. It was very determined to get the waffle as well! I was literaaly a sitting duck when the swan tried to climb on board to get to the waffle, it kept trying to get to it coming from every side of the boat. I used an oar to defend myself. In the end I threw the waffle as far as I could and fled, the beast came after me! The outboard engine saved me! Not keen on swans while fishing, but they shouldn't die because of lead (anglers' or not).

best Regards,

J.J.

This is the type of post that doe's make the blood boil.

"The ban doe's not mean its not being used or sold" your evidence please point me in the direction of one tackle dealer selling illegal lead.

Web site purchasing, yes direct me to one site that sells illegal lead products.

Well what have you seen people fishing with?

Why can Swans be a pest its their river, lake, aren't you the pest. its you that should be prepared for swans.

All of a sudden there was a swan, what? Was the swan energised in?

It came from every side of the boat what was it SUPER SWAN and you used an oar to defend yourself are you really serious.

This is IMO the biggest load of poppycock and should have been posted yesterday.

Edited by medwaygreen

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

Shouldn't the EA who issue licenses to Anglers be speaking up on behalf of fishing, they know we only use non toxic weights, surely the EA should get behind us on this, banning fishing will hit them.

Alan

I must be doing something right, I'm still alive

Guest flempike

Don't care whether or not you don't believe the stroy, but you do believe the one where the guy gets attacked trying to get rid of the swan? I don't care which language you use to respond either. Ask yourself this, where is the lead coming from then? In your opinion, these swans have died of something else? Doubting the expertise of the swan guys, or having the opinion that anglers can in no way be responsible, I can accept both. However the statement that these Swan people are only writing this trying to get to the anglers, sounds odd? What for? So tell me, why did the swans die and what from?

Best Regards and I mean no offense, a forum should be as discussion and evetybody should be entitled to an opinion, especially if it is not your own, that is why it is called a' discussion'. You know as well as me, that we aren't all saints. I wish you the best ever fishing season and a couple personal bests as well.

What did the swans die of? Possibly they've been eating very old lead. Maybe something has been stirring up the sediments and exposing shot from more than 20 years ago. Perhaps it would be a good idea to look into that before pointing the finger.

I still think that this is opportunism from the sanctuary. They know that lead is no longer used, but they are still going to use it to get their own way.

What did the swans die of? Possibly they've been eating very old lead. Maybe something has been stirring up the sediments and exposing shot from more than 20 years ago. Perhaps it would be a good idea to look into that before pointing the finger.

I still think that this is opportunism from the sanctuary. They know that lead is no longer used, but they are still going to use it to get their own way.

Precisely, that is why I say the EA who issue the license should speak up for Angling

Alan

I must be doing something right, I'm still alive

Steve,

That is a very good point you make about, maybe the river bed has been stirred up and it is old leads that have caused the problem. my only reservation is that lead poisoning is a gradual event and therefore needs scientific evidence to support it.

One thing, is the Seven at Bewdley susceptible to the Bore?