2005 Bass Season

sam-cox

What an idiot advertising large numbers of Bass anyway, if they are there, they won't be for long! I fished the sea near the island a couple of weeks ago, and not a fish to be seen.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fished the Crouch at North Fambridge yesterday Sam and had two bass of about six inches long. Don't think I will go back there for a while. I think next session will be somewhere near where I met you.....................

Must admit it's a different story up here, we only started after the bass on the 1st. July,

previously we'd been after tope.

Until yesterday I'd had thirty four, best 7Lb 11oz and quite a few 5 & 6's.

Just back now from fishing over HW, we had nineteen fish between us, all schoolies eleven inches long, moved up the beach quarter of a mile to try for bigger fish and they were there also, so we packed up.

It does look good for the future here, as we have our own set of regulations, no inshore netting is allowed on over twenty four miles of prime bass beaches.

Minimum size for keeping a bass is set at 42Cm.

Most of the anglers I know return most fish, just keeping an odd one for the pot.

I believe that a two fish a day keep limit is to be introduced soon as well.

Hi Manxman.

Good old John Ballard, I heard he was trying to introduce the regulations - well he and a few of the Tynewald chappies. Jolly good job too. When people over here realise the good fishing to be had on the Island the tourist industry will get a good boost - Ireland realised it many years ago.

Your regulations, together with those being introduced in the Channel Isles, will give more weight to the BMP. We will have something to use as an example of fisheries management in action. YIPPE.

Do you still get the tope off the beach at Point of Aire?

I have also wondered what the lagoon y the King Edward's Schol would be like if the water was clear. Must come and give it a go, I don't like fishig the surf, so you can keep your NW coast!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

It's not only the NW beaches that produce Simon,

" seek and ye shall find"

Plenty of tope on the NW beaches up to the Point of Ayre too.

I fished Derbyhaven (the lagoon) a few time with no luck yet, but there are some big shoals of mullet on the end of the breakwater there, at low water.

I was speaking to John the other day, trying to get him to part with some money to by some poppers to come out with us, I think he ordered one from Veals.

If your planning a trip and want to be pointed in the right direction get in touch.

[ 24. July 2005, 08:40 PM: Message edited by: Manxman ]

i just think the season has started later this year - was also true in the US (northeast coast) striped bass season this year.

i have had more fish than last year, and last year i caught my last bass on the fly on November 11th.

generally here June was average for the bait fishers, last week a 11lb 10oz was taken on a free lined sandeel.

i think the season has just started really.

Mark

www.swff.co.uk - Guernsey Saltwater Fly Fishing

Member of B.A.S.S. - www.ukbass.com

Member of NFSA www.nfsa.org.uk

"better to have fished and lost than never fished at all "

MJB:

Dan,

You'll find me wandering around the Purbecks most of the time. You wont go far wrong with clouser minnows in chartruese and white on size 2 and 4 hooks. These probably account for 75% of my fish.

Cheers will give them a go.

Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com