Shakespeare

ayjay

Shakespeare  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Genius or boring incomprehensible Brummy?

• Genius
    • Boring brummy.

We had a big West Indian fellah for Geography. Still owned family land in the Windies. When we had a unit on agriculture in tropical regions, he brought in raw sugar cane, sweet potato and yams for us to taste. He was an excellent teacher, he was well liked by the boys but always commanded respect.

Respect as in fear? I think i missed the respect lessons when i went to scotland and probably missed their lesson when i returned .

Not absolutely sure i respect anything or anyone ,i dont know anyone so they cannot earn it and i certainly dont just hand it out ,perhaps i dont live in the circles that demand it?

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

You give people authority over you its not a god given right ,probably fear in this case

Theres only two things that decide an outcome fear or reward

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Dunno why he had it and others didn't. None of them were allowed to hit anyone, and I don't remember anyone ever getting a detention from him, unlike some of the weaker teachers. I think it was just charisma and personality. Some teachers have it, some don't.

Dunno why he had it and others didn't. None of them were allowed to hit anyone, and I don't remember anyone ever getting a detention from him, unlike some of the weaker teachers. I think it was just charisma and personality. Some teachers have it, some don't.

I have never come across such a school-teacher. The only chap I ever encountered at school with "charisma and personality" was our rugby captain. All the team would have died for him. I had enormous respect for his judgement, both on and off the field. Have never since (personally) come across a captain in any sport who could compare. By reputation Billy Wright might have been close.

One or two university teaching colleagues were quite inspirational academic-wise - but have never met such a person in a school setting. As a university teacher I did find school-teachers made very poor adult students. Perhaps an ethos of winning arguments with children results in many (not all) teachers making an over-estimation of their own intellect.

I think such people as Steve mentions are rare. Fortunately they have a lot of influence in their immediate circle, but alas are all too thin on the ground

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Chesters1,

Isn't that "flight or fight"? I thought in humans the reaction only occurs under acute stress?

It's 50/50 you are 100% wrong about your assessment.

To have what is being discussed is called "cool'. Cool is something that cannot be explained. If you have to explain it/them - then it/they ain't cool.

Phone

All,

As for Shakespeare, it had to be "genius". I have been coerced, begged, demanded, and in ever conceivable manner exposed to Shakespeare. I don't like Shakespeare perhaps because I don't understand the first utterance - and that's after 1 failing grade in school and no fewer than 300 exposures.

All my taste must be in my mouth???

Phone

Edit: Some day some very wise person will translate Shakespeare into English

Edited by Phone

All,

As for Shakespeare, it had to be "genius". I have been coerced, begged, demanded, and in ever conceivable manner exposed to Shakespeare. I don't like Shakespeare perhaps because I don't understand the first utterance - and that's after 1 failing grade in school and no fewer than 300 exposures.

All my taste must be in my mouth???

Phone

Edit: Some day some very wise person will translate Shakespeare into English

As long as they don't try to 'translate it into 'American' it'll be ok. :thumbs:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Chesters1,

Isn't that "flight or fight"? I thought in humans the reaction only occurs under acute stress?

It's 50/50 you are 100% wrong about your assessment.

To have what is being discussed is called "cool'. Cool is something that cannot be explained. If you have to explain it/them - then it/they ain't cool.

Phone

Humans have brains as well as instincts ,you have the ability to choose ,fear is a great persuader its used to great effect with everyone with power the big stick,the other way is reward either directly by the giver or gained by the reciever the carrot

You ex president bush used both ,"you are with us (therefore you could gain something) or your against us (a direct threat of pain) ,it obviously worked the bulldog is now the poodle

I tend to cut my nose off to spoil my face ,i dont give respect to anyone that threatens me and i dont respect anyone who promisses something to gain respect ,respect is earned not a right ,i just hold onto handing out respect for a great lenght of time just incase the needy person after it falls short ,about 70 years looks ok to me to make my mind up

Despite the village appearing to still be in the 1940's "cool" to me is the inside of my fridge not a person except Otzi perhaps

Edited by chesters1