Identity of this aquatic plant?

philocalist

Nymphoides_peltata_kz1.jpg

Is this what it looks like in flower?..if so it is what Ayjay says Nymphoides peltata...a wild water lily.

That's a large part of the current problem: this picture MIGHT be the culprit BUT a/ I can't find any pictures I might have from last year of the flowers for a better comparison, and b/ the leaves on all suggestions so far ave very different from those shown in my original photo's ... but thanks for all the help and suggestions so far.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Philo,

I did as everyone else (images). I am more inclined to include stress from light and water quality. It's very improbable you've got a new lily on your hands. To me - only - it looks like phosphate damage.

nymphaea tetragona

Phone

and b/ the leaves on all suggestions so far ave very different from those shown in my original photo's ... but thanks for all the help and suggestions so far.

The reddish colouration of the leaves is quite common in the water lily family of plants, some plants will always display colouration like that right through the growing season, it's also quite common on plants that are usually green for the leaves to be that colour early in the season, especially in colder conditions.

Got it in a couple of local ponds. It's ability to grow in relatively deep water can detract from the fishing in those ponds, especially if you want to use light lines.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

When I was setting up Wingham Bruno Broughton advised me on no account plant pygmy/dwarf water lilies. He said that ordinary water lilies are difficult enough to control but those are a devil!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Steve, they were never planted, just appeared and are spreading. Still trying to work out the best way of control, with chemicals being a last resport if applicable.

Any thoughts about whether the spreading of this stuff will be made worse if we drag or cut, assuming that there will be water-borne bits all over?

Sorry, I'm not qualified to give advice on their removal as it's not a problem I've come across myself.

I very much doubt you'll get permission to use chemicals as their use is now illegal in nearly every case.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Grab yourself a few gallons of roundup i have a suspicion as its not made by beyer (instead the dark power monsanto) the EU will ban it

The club has a rake that needs two to lift it ,its will rip out most plants if needed,its put on a boat which toodles off to the middle where the handlers pull it off the boat its then winched in by a landy ,no bodies yet but if its there it will be found LOL.

My bosses pond had similar weeds ,i killed them (took a while) by putting a few leaves on a bit of expanded foam sheet and painting them with roundup ,once dry the sheet was removed ,its a pretty safe herbicide around water

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Dave, Roundup is illegal to use in an aquatic environment.