Scouting out the area?

gozzer

We have a number of Oxfordshire residents on here, can any of you explain this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-36706591

Is it a scouting party prior to the main invasion, people eyeing up properties with a view to falling house prices post Brexit, just a case of misinformation and they're in the wrong place, or a 'shonky' tour guide making a few bob?

John.

• Like 1

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

No-one has thought to ask the tourists then.........................or is that too simple?

That was my first thought ayjay, but then I remembered my trips down south, and finding they don't even like making eye contact with, never mind talking to strangers.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Most likely Asian tourists being conned into going to see famous peoples houses. :)

If I lived down there I would open a TAT shop selling overpriced made in China tourist TAT, Tea for three quid a (Styrofoam) cup and have a big board showing all the ice creams I do not have in stock.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

That was my first thought ayjay, but then I remembered my trips down south, and finding they don't even like making eye contact with, never mind talking to strangers.

John.

They are fine when they see you several hundred time ,i prefer it to nosy neighbours that call themselves friendly, we tend to knock before entering not after LOL

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Japanese/chinese tourists can seem an odd bunch at times. I remember andy macfarlane telling me about the time on lomond a bus load of them just arrived behind him he gets a run off a pike and instead of taking an interest in him playing a big pike they surrounded the bite alarm to take photos of it :lol:

The tourists are a short walk from thatched cottages and an old church, but prefer taking photos of themselves outside modern houses.

Edited by Andy_1984

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

I remembered my trips down south, and finding they don't even like making eye contact with, never mind talking to strangers.

You are right - get in the 7.45 local train for London, say "good morning" and they all hide behind their newspapers. Such a greeting is treated as the first move in a confidence trick.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I'm a Southerner, born and bred in London, only moved out in my 30s, I'm not the most sociable of people, (weekends and Bank holidays especially I go out of my way to avoid them no matter which of my outdoor hobbies I'm pursuing, and you do get to know the quieter places) but I'll always say "good morning/afternoon" to anyone I do encounter.

It often surprises me when someone responds (or begins) with a "Hello" instead of a "Good morning": I use "Hello" for people I know. I do it automatically without thinking at all, there's no real reason it just seems right, "Hello" seems odd with a stranger.

The other surprising thing is head-wear, Wintertime I tend to wear a fleece Beanie hat, Spring and Autumn it'll be a flat cap and in Summer a Tilley. It's very noticeable that many more people will talk to me first when I'm wearing the Tilley.

I prefer petromax myself its gleam attracts magpies

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I prefer petromax myself its gleam attracts magpies

I didn't think you'd go for nasty German stuff ;-)

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote