Fishing larger waters. Stick or twist?

AddictedToScopex

NicePix,

Im not after carp. Quite the opposite in fact as there arent many in there and I am trying to target the tench. I appreciate the advice would likely work for both though. I have never been one for spodding beds of bait out and would be using a feeder as mentioned in the first post so luckily there is no danger of spodding a huge bed out and waiting on that. Your advice on giving it half an hour seems reasonable as like you say if they are there and feeding then I dhould see signs at least in the form of line bites if no actual bites occur. I had previously been building the swim over the course of the day with the feeder. Usually casting 10-20 in to begin with and then attaching the hooklength and continuing. As it was long range I could confidently clip up and use the stretch of the mono and soft feeder rod to take the sting out of the tenches first runs. It worked perfectly the first session.

You are right that it would be day sessions as there is no night fishing in this venue. The only time I actually bivvy up in fact is the rare occasion I am lucky enough to attend the Wingham fish in although I night fish rivers a lot but tend to just sit under a brolly and stay awake.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Sorry, I assumed from your opening paragraph that you were targeting carp on larger waters instead of easier small waters. Can't help you much with tench in large waters as it isn't anything I've done in the last thirty years or so. Last time I went for tench in a large still water was in Ireland. The only thing I can say with any confidence is that they aren't as nomadic as carp and bream and when you do find them you've found them for good. Or certainly for a few months anyway and they will be back there again the same time next season.

Best of luck.

Regards, Clive

Cheers NP. Interesting that they arent as nomadic. I will bear that in mind. I may get another session or two in on this place before wingham assuming I get the nod from Steve to go. Makes a nice change doing this to river fishing. Still cant wait to get back on the river bank after the closed season though.

Researchers in various countries studying tench using electronic tracking devices found that in daytime they are sedentary and favoured weedy areas particularly rushes and lily pads. They migrate in winter to deeper, more muddy areas, but spend the warmer months in shallower water. Given their natural diet I would be looking in shallow, weedy bays for signs of them. A lot of large still waters are fed by streams and rivers and these are often bordered by shallow, muddy areas. If you can find one of those areas that are on the lee side of a warm wind, i.e the easterly and northerly banks then that might be a good place to fish.

• Like 1

Regards, Clive

On the water I am fishing I am catching on the waggler with 6mm expander pellets.

Catching Tench, Crucian and big Roach.

I have caught in 3ft of water in one peg and 7ft deep in another.

Over 50 decent fish in two weeks during short evening sessions, last one was a 6.5lb Female Tench followed by a zoo creature breaking yet another hooklength - I suspect a large eel as it didn't charge around, just pulled back hard.

Fellow anglers using the method are catching,but not many.

On both pegs I have caught at the bottom of the marginal drop off.

The waters clear so a pole could easily spook already spooky fish! I also feel feeders splashing about are spooking fish - hence fishing an insert waggler - 3AA float shorter with a bulk that can be moved around to suit conditions or peg depth.

I use expander pellets at present as they sit on any type bottom, sink slowly, balance the hook, waft about when disturbed, release scent and are soft - fish like soft baits!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Bivviying rather smacks of Anglers who don't get on with their wives!!

I just get in the spare bed!! :unsure:

Not sure about the double Bivvies then !!!!!!!! :huh:

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

On the water I am fishing I am catching on the waggler with 6mm expander pellets.

Catching Tench, Crucian and big Roach.

I have caught in 3ft of water in one peg and 7ft deep in another.

Over 50 decent fish in two weeks during short evening sessions, last one was a 6.5lb Female Tench followed by a zoo creature breaking yet another hooklength - I suspect a large eel as it didn't charge around, just pulled back hard.

Fellow anglers using the method are catching,but not many.

On both pegs I have caught at the bottom of the marginal drop off.

The waters clear so a pole could easily spook already spooky fish! I also feel feeders splashing about are spooking fish - hence fishing an insert waggler - 3AA float shorter with a bulk that can be moved around to suit conditions or peg depth.

I use expander pellets at present as they sit on any type bottom, sink slowly, balance the hook, waft about when disturbed, release scent and are soft - fish like soft baits!

The depth of this place makes waggler fishing pretty tricky as it is around 12-14 feet a few rod lengths out and the margins don't seem to fish well at all due to the footfall from dog walkers etc. It is pretty busy with them during the day with dogs jumping in etc as their owners throw balls into the water for them. It is one of those places that can produce some cracking days sport by all accounts though so worth putting up with it on occasion. Its not the kind of place I could fish exclusively as I like my peace. Being so deep it allows for feeders to hit the water and not disturb your swim too much I would think.

The depth of this place makes waggler fishing pretty tricky as it is around 12-14 feet a few rod lengths out and the margins don't seem to fish well at all due to the footfall from dog walkers etc. It is pretty busy with them during the day with dogs jumping in etc as their owners throw balls into the water for them. It is one of those places that can produce some cracking days sport by all accounts though so worth putting up with it on occasion. Its not the kind of place I could fish exclusively as I like my peace. Being so deep it allows for feeders to hit the water and not disturb your swim too much I would think.

Sounds like a place to avoid. I felt crowded out this afternoon when I discovered another angler on the 2Km of river bank I was fishing.

You can fish 15 feet with a waggler using a sliding arrangement providing that the float stop or stop knot will pass through the tip rings of the rod. You just have to cast further than your baited spot to allow it to come back towards you as the shot pulls line through the float's eye.

Regards, Clive

I think I would likely use a polaris float if I were to decide to float fish it. At least I know I am at the correct depth wherever it lands that way. Slightly different method I know. I would normally avoid places like this but it does hold some good fish and it is worth a few trips.

Wish I could fish the river :(