reconmendations please

chesters1

I can guarantee you that they will cut tomatoes for many years. If you really need to hack your way through frozen meat on a regular basis, get a butcher's saw.

Plenty of hacksaws in the shed and a nice wood chopper (those thin things you split kindling with) now ,i didnt have such a range of tools when first married so the knife and mallet was used .

The bread board was one of those old fastioned single bits of wood i bet modern laminated ones could take a good bit of hammering

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Why not buy ready sliced bread. The supermarkets offer to do it for you :clap2::clap2:

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

Why not buy ready sliced bread. The supermarkets offer to do it for you :clap2::clap2:

We do but on occasion i get the bread maker out and have some harder than concrete crusts.

The problem we have is even genuine (as in made with genuine ingredients) french sticks and all crusty supermarket loaves crusts go soft in a few hours once home.

The problem isnt crusts but cutting soft crusts without squashing the loaf doing it.

I can even buy crusty rolls and within 4 hours the crusts are no longer crispy ,must be living near a river or perhaps i sweat a lot?

I can turn a full sized loaf into a thin one trying to use these scallop edge knives ,the old one had no problem with whatever was put in front of it

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Try here http://thevintagekitchenstore.co.uk/en/slicing-chopping/87-brea.html

Or search vintage bread knife on ebay

Some of them look worse than mine lol

Strangely choosing a knife doesnt bring up a picture of it so you can see the edge of the blade.

If you look at my link (if it works for anyone else but me?) Mine is dual teeth

Only a heathen would hit a knife with a mallet.

Google X50CrMoV15.

https://www.opinel.com/en/kitchen-and-table/kitchen-knives/parallele/n116-bread-knife-parallele

If they are not designed to be hit you wouldnt be able to hit them ,if its mine it gets what it deserves to finish the job ,tools do not dictate to me how they are treated if they fail i get one that wont ,i can even break bulldog forks ,if i can apply pressure they should cope with it or they are crap

In none of the descriptions /lables or boxes does it say not suitable for chesters1 thus they should be

PS your link is just to a scalloped edged knife doesnt look like it could take a mallet at all! It may cope with a air filled baquet (sp?) but hardly something from the freezer if needed .

And i need a genuine garanteed for life one ,if an old knife can last 40+ years i expect a modern one to last much much longer

Unfortunately purchasers appear to except rubbish today ,i doubt any modern fridge will last 60 years ,i thought things were better today?

If something cost x in 1974 then the equivilent amount spent now should get something longer lasting ,better built and more advanced its called progress

Edited by chesters1

Blimey that long lol

Chesters1

Looks to me like Black and Decker ELECTRIC knife and a throw-away clever is your only reasonable option.

Phone

Cant use electric incase the mrs has a fit and decides to wash it in the sink plugged in lol

Given up using bread (seeing it came with a breadboard thats what it was!) Now goung down the frozen avenue ,some wicked edges using that term!