Photo
- - - - -

Any Tricks For Breathing Life Into Old 12v Batteries?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#11 chesters1

chesters1

AN Resident Contrarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,943 posts
  • Interests:fishing,fossils,researching intrepid reels and general being naughty

Posted 28 June 2019 - 11:16 AM

24v?

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness  it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

#12 corydoras

corydoras

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,901 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 01:26 PM

Probably not the same type of use ,car batteries are designed to give big amps for a short period and deep cycle ones small amps for a long while .
Car batteries cannot take their volts taking down under 12.5 ish without stressing the plates whereas deep cycle ones can
I doubt grannie or kids will monitor the volts so a car battery wont enjoy the outings lol

The old trick of using high volts at low amps works for nicads but modern charges use high frequency to desulphate car batteries .
Sometimes lithium batteries go so low the protection circuit cuts in and they cannot be recharged ,plugging in their charger lots of times for 5 seconds a go trick it into charging again but it could take a few hours of doing it!

Or just bypass the protection circuitry.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

#13 chesters1

chesters1

AN Resident Contrarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,943 posts
  • Interests:fishing,fossils,researching intrepid reels and general being naughty

Posted 28 June 2019 - 04:14 PM

Or just bypass the protection circuitry.

In 18650 easy !in built in batteries in tablets not so

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness  it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

#14 Phone

Phone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,244 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 02:07 AM

Elton,

Stand clear and unplug at the electrical source and wait a minute or so.  "Rednecking" batteries can be tricky, especially sealed.

You may have stumbled on your solution?  In the day, my big trucks were 24 volt in series of 6 or 8 batteries.  In the UK what is the electrical system on your big rigs?

Phone

#15 ayjay

ayjay

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,091 posts
  • Interests:Knife licking: birdwatching : :playing with mud and fire: beer.

Posted 29 June 2019 - 06:34 AM

how much £ for the proper battery is too much £ re what he paid for the scooter??

My wife's scooter takes two  12v 75amp batteries  - £234 per pair, and that's eBay not OEM.

#16 Phone

Phone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,244 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 04:52 PM

Elton,

Ayjay,

It's written on the (old) battery itself. It's not amperes it's Ah. Current consumption depends on the load.  The battery itself only supplies voltage.

For example: A typical specification of battery is 12V - 7Ah. If your load is consuming 1A current, then it will last for 7 hours.  If you have a 10Ah battery means you can draw steady current of 10 A for an hour.

See if the battery doesn't say "Ah" Ayjay.  75Ah would give her considerable power range.

#17 ayjay

ayjay

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,091 posts
  • Interests:Knife licking: birdwatching : :playing with mud and fire: beer.

Posted 30 June 2019 - 06:43 AM

Ayjay,

It's written on the (old) battery itself. It's not amperes it's Ah.

See if the battery doesn't say "Ah" Ayjay.  75Ah would give her considerable power range.

I don't need to look, I know you're correct. (it had to happen some time.  biggrin.png ) . I blame Chesters, he started calling them amps.wink.png

#18 chesters1

chesters1

AN Resident Contrarian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,943 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 12:31 PM

Short the + & - together it will be crude amps melting that wire!
Heres the difference between car batteries and leisure batteries
https://www.yuasa.co...sure-batteries/

Edited by chesters1, 30 June 2019 - 12:52 PM.

#19 Phone

Phone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,244 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 03:16 AM

ayjay,

I also believe I have discovered a way to post my personal pictures on AN.  I can post to FaceBook and then copy and paste to AN.  Worked once.

I then shall endeavoUr to show up the "doubting Thomas'" with my quill pictures.  However, I can now fish this very urban pond with my own creation of ULTRA ultra light kit.  The quills sucked (as in didn't work) although I take full responsibility for their failure.

Phone

#20 Phone

Phone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,244 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 03:23 AM

Chesters1,

Faux nonsense from you in a feeble defence for such a serious mis-identification. 

Phone